Capture One Sessions Question

Many thanks Graham for your really helpful and detailed reply, I think by some hook or crook, I seem to have fallen into the 'referenced' catalogue situation, creating a C1 catalogue>folder>subfolder path on my external hard drive, which I am able to access through C1, but as you point out, not through any other medium (I am now discovering the quirks of being a fuji shooter!!). I had spent a good portion of the afternoon watching one of the Capture One webinars on organising and importing, but thank you for your links, as I notice the Organise your catalogue is completely up to date with the new 21. I have also created a few smart albums in the user collection area, just for a quick reference point. To test all this out, I have just taken a few shots of my two unwilling to be photographed cats (!) (they wanted to be left alone to toast in front of the fire!) and imported them from the SD card via Capture One, this is the path I have created:

Capture One catalogue in my external hard drive, so on import, I have selected the catalogue and created a folder within C1 on the hard drive to reflect February 2021, and that has been successful. I now need to think more about how I structure the folders, so it makes sense to me.

I was not drawn to the sessions as I don't very often do totally one-off event type of photography, though I can see that if for instance I spent the day on the Isle of Wight and wanted to find that as a discreet set of images it would make sense.

I think this is most certainly a learning curve, but an interesting challenge for these cold, grey lockdown days!

Many thanks for your thoughtful insights - as someone who has always responded more with classroom based learning, it would be great if Fuji or Park Cameras or Wex did a days course on Capture One, I know Park do them for Lightroom, perhaps I will have to suggest it?

Many thanks Graham for your really helpful and detailed reply, I think by some hook or crook, I seem to have fallen into the 'referenced' catalogue situation, creating a C1 catalogue>folder>subfolder path on my external hard drive, which I am able to access through C1, but as you point out, not through any other medium (I am now discovering the quirks of being a fuji shooter!!).

C1 defaults to a referenced catalogue, and I repeat the issues you are having with the Fuji files are nothing to do with it being Fuji, just the way catalogue based software works. My Nikon and Fuji files work identically with C1.

Capture One is incredibly powerful and versatile, but it does take some time to learn. I think I learn something new every day .

I'm fairly sure that both Wex and Park cameras have done a Capture one course in the past, but I think both were in conjunction with Nikon.

Back