Capturing a black Labrador puppy - Advice

Andrew Moore

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly, thanks in advance for any help or pointers!

I'm trying to get a couple of snaps of the dogs that will end up on the wall however as they are jet black I am having massive difficulties without images looking like they have come off of a point and shoot. Depth of field seems to be near impossible with there either being too much or not enough and getting the backgrounds white without heavy photoshop leaves the dogs underexposed to a point where the image is useless.

Below is Ruben. Hes the most difficult to capture due to how black his cost is and the fact he has little to no variation in coat change (such as slight greys, whites or the odd wave that may help with with light).

Any pointers? I'm using a 7D with the 50mm 1.8 and have had worse results with other lenses (17-55 f2.8) or switching to the olympus and using the 45mm f1.8.

Ruben.jpg

** If this is in the wrong section, point me towards the right one please :) **

Last edited:
Has anyone any pointers? Im going to give it another crack tonight but as yet I am not having much luck..

A poor and typical example with buckets of noise and loss of detail can be seen below just to emphasize how much I am struggling with it.

Baxter.jpg

How are you lighting the white background? You'll need a light on that and separate one for you dog, off camera with a modifier (umbrella/softbox) to avoid harsh light, which will give you highlights and shadows to avoid a flat looking image and bring some details out in the dog, and provide nice catchlights in the eyes.

F5.6 to 8 should give you a suitable depth of field to get what you want in focus.

ETA: or don't light the background and just accept that the white will show as grey, which might work with a black dog?

Last edited:
A black animal you will find that you have to over expose a bit for that subject.:)
Have a look on you tube for shooting something black.

Last edited:
How are you lighting the white background? You'll need a light on that and separate one for you dog, off camera with a modifier (umbrella/softbox) to avoid harsh light.
I've got black, white or green backgrounds and stands, 2x diffuser and 2x reflector umbrellas, a pair of large 150w cathode type 5500k bulbs (so easy enough to set camera to that light frequency on the balance).

The first image wasn't taken with any of the lights or umbrellas as the dogs are dogs at the end of the day so its a case of taking an image as soon as the dog decides he's going to sit in front of the back drop and just hope its right. The house lights were however turned on in the room at the time so all was not lost. The other difficulty is that both dogs have an incredible glossy coat which plays havoc with the flash and the bright lights although the older of the two has a dash of white on his chest and some white hairs on the chin that helps show definition on otherwise definition free images due to the level of the blacks.

I'm going to have a play again this evening anyway and will hopefully get to a point where I have some reasonably consitant settings that can be tweaked upon even if it ends up just moving some lights about

I have the same issue as you when trying to photo my black lab, it's the shinny coat. It just loves to reflect that light.

I've got black, white or green backgrounds and stands, 2x diffuser and 2x reflector umbrellas, a pair of large 150w cathode type 5500k bulbs (so easy enough to set camera to that light frequency on the balance).

The first image wasn't taken with any of the lights or umbrellas as the dogs are dogs at the end of the day so its a case of taking an image as soon as the dog decides he's going to sit in front of the back drop and just hope its right. The house lights were however turned on in the room at the time so all was not lost. The other difficulty is that both dogs have an incredible glossy coat which plays havoc with the flash and the bright lights although the older of the two has a dash of white on his chest and some white hairs on the chin that helps show definition on otherwise definition free images due to the level of the blacks.

I'm going to have a play again this evening anyway and will hopefully get to a point where I have some reasonably consitant settings that can be tweaked upon even if it ends up just moving some lights about

Those bulbs sound like continuous lights (rather than flash) and if that's the case they won't be strong enough for getting a white background. I have a kit which sounds similar to what you have - backgrounds, stand, light stands, two bulbs (that look like big energy efficient bulbs), and a couple of umbrellas) - is this what you have? The lights I got with the kit are, to be frank, pretty useless for photography. I use two YN600ex-rt speedlights in place of the bulbs. You may have different lights, just guessing here, but if they are the same you won't get the results you want in camera, which leaves a lot of PP to do to get the white background.

If you want white, it is possible to do this in PP (adjustment brush in ACR set to max exposure and brightness) or the dodge tool in PS (set to highlights and around 5%). This would remove the greys in the first shot you posted.

If you can't get the dogs to sit still, you'll just have to wait for an opportune moment when the background is favourable for a shot, and use available light (or buy a flash and just bounce it of a wall or the ceiling). This is one of my nephew's dog (I know, he's not black and that's one of your main issues), it's nothing special, just to give you an idea of what soft light you get with bounced flash.

IMG_2782 by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
I would say it's all about the lighting, and put that 17-55 f2.8 back on the camera, it's a gem.

Build some reflectors out of some plywood painted white and get some light on the subject, especially into the face & eyes.

Those bulbs sound like continuous lights (rather than flash) and if that's the case they won't be strong enough for getting a white background. I have a kit which sounds similar to what you have - backgrounds, stand, light stands, two bulbs (that look like big energy efficient bulbs), and a couple of umbrellas) - is this what you have? The lights I got with the kit are, to be frank, pretty useless for photography. I use two YN600ex-rt speedlights in place of the bulbs. You may have different lights, just guessing here, but if they are the same you won't get the results you want in camera, which leaves a lot of PP to do to get the white background.

If you want white, it is possible to do this in PP (adjustment brush in ACR set to max exposure and brightness) or the dodge tool in PS (set to highlights and around 5%). This would remove the greys in the first shot you posted.

If you can't get the dogs to sit still, you'll just have to wait for an opportune moment when the background is favourable for a shot, and use available light (or buy a flash and just bounce it of a wall or the ceiling). This is one of my nephew's dog (I know, he's not black and that's one of your main issues), it's nothing special, just to give you an idea of what soft light you get with bounced flash.

*snip*_2782 by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr

The light kit is similar yes, I have flashes too and run a pair of Neewar TT850s with remote triggers.. the problem is even with the light at 1/128 strength and bouncing off walls the dogs black coats are that glossy that it washes them out and adds silver like patches to the fur rather than picking out the detail in the coat.

I would say it's all about the lighting, and put that 17-55 f2.8 back on the camera, it's a gem.

Build some reflectors out of some plywood painted white and get some light on the subject, especially into the face & eyes.

I've got some card, I may try that and perhaps some grease proof paper to try and diffuse the light a little.

Failing that.... Buy a chocolate Lab or borrow my fathers!! :D

The light kit is similar yes, I have flashes too and run a pair of Neewar TT850s with remote triggers.. the problem is even with the light at 1/128 strength and bouncing off walls the dogs black coats are that glossy that it washes them out and adds silver like patches to the fur rather than picking out the detail in the coat.

Can you close the aperture down (F8+), and rather than bounce it, get the light in close with a modifier, use a reflector or second light to add some fill or as a kicker? You might be able to get subtle, soft lighting and the background will stay black (even without any backdrop if you overpower the ambient light with the flash and there's enough distance between the subject and the background). I'm not saying a black dog on a black background is an easy shot, it isn't, but it would look pretty cool if you managed to nail it!

I may have a go at black on black as I wouldn't be fighting with the exposure of the White. I'll give that a go later too, will post results

We have a black cat, I might have a go a this later if I can persuade her to sit still. I suspect getting the lighting right will be a doddle in comparison!

can you post an unedited version of that shot? it'd be worth looking at whats really wrong, but for what its worth I wouldn't shoot it on white or black for that matter. Black lab on black background? you're setting yourself up to fail. Why not go for grey or something?

It's easier with a black background, or you have to over expose by quite a way. Black background, single flash in a large softbox
My problem is getting her to pose. A biscuit is a handy prop to attract attention.

159465857.jpg

can you post an unedited version of that shot? it'd be worth looking at whats really wrong, but for what its worth I wouldn't shoot it on white or black for that matter. Black lab on black background? you're setting yourself up to fail. Why not go for grey or something?

I'll see what i can get up later, using ipad or phone at the moment so not got the facility to.. Im also a sod for getting rid of images that don't work out for me rather than keeping them so there's always the risk of it not being there when I flick the laptop back on again this evening. Fingers crossed it isn't as it'll no doubt help! I've not got grey however green would still work given I am moving it over to black and white.

It's easier with a black background, or you have to over expose by quite a way. Black background, single flash in a large softbox
My problem is getting her to pose. A biscuit is a handy prop to attract attention.

159465857.jpg

Getting the dogs to pose is a nightmare and Id be better off waiting for them to curiously place themselves where I need them rather than trying to get them to do it against their will. I'm glad your dogs will sit for a biscuit, for me I'd need to try something more substantial, like a chunk of steak or an antler cutting. The black on black definitely works better for capturing details in the face. Is she a deep black like Ruben in my first image or softer with a little grey like Baxter in the second? I'm just trying to work out if its highlights from the flash o your image that's all due to the way the coat varies over her face.

She's a Chocolate, but with deep brown almost black tones in places. It's mostly shine from her coat, but I'm always over exposing to capture her colours correctly

Can understand if you're purposefully wanting a black/white background but sometimes a bit of colour might work too.

I know this won't be to everyone's tastes but happened to get this at a shoot recently of a friend's dog. The natural light from above helped to show of the coat, although I was going for a shallow depth of field so maybe not what you're looking for. PS. looks more oversaturated than I thought it did when processing lol

Good luck :)

Portrait+Photography+11.jpg

She's a Chocolate, but with deep brown almost black tones in places. It's mostly shine from her coat, but I'm always over exposing to capture her colours correctly

That explains the tones! She does look lovely though.

Can understand if you're purposefully wanting a black/white background but sometimes a bit of colour might work too.

I know this won't be to everyone's tastes but happened to get this at a shoot recently of a friend's dog. The natural light from above helped to show of the coat, although I was going for a shallow depth of field so maybe not what you're looking for. PS. looks more oversaturated than I thought it did when processing lol

Good luck :)

Portrait+Photography+11.jpg

Thanks! I shall need all the luck going I'd imagine haha. The colour is nice and it does work, getting colour oddly doesn't seem as hard as the sheer contrast differences between the black and white so I've not really struggled with that yet, especially if it's a nice bright day (however I do like it to be slightly over cast as it helps with harsh shadows which I guess ultimately shows up my weaknesses with light).
Got to love a good lab! Lovely looking dogs and always looking playful and inquisitive which is nice when it's captured at that right time.

Hi Andrew.

I took these with a speedlight in a 60x60 softbox and a reflector. The background is a grey roller blind. Added a bit of texture after just cos I liked it. I too thought the black would be a nightmare but I may have been lucky.

Hope it goes well.

Gaz

Sorry for posting so many but I thought it may give your of an idea as to where the lights were.

IMG_3606_alfie_sofie_brighter.jpg

IMG_3032_Emily.jpg

Sofie.jpg

IMG_3057_Emily.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ian. Your damn nifty with that brolly. We too have a cat "tabby colour" not tried to photograph her. She would never be still long enough to try. I'm always shooing her off stuff so normaly runs a mile when she see's me looming, unless it's food time.

You seem to be fond of using a kicker. I have not used that technique before.

Gaz

A good friend of mine shot this in her studio a few years ago It is still one of my all time favourite images of there's image.jpg

Hi Ian. Your damn nifty with that brolly. We too have a cat "tabby colour" not tried to photograph her. She would never be still long enough to try. I'm always shooing her off stuff so normaly runs a mile when she see's me looming, unless it's food time.

You seem to be fond of using a kicker. I have not used that technique before.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, the kicker was to get some separation from the background but in the end it wasn't needed as I couldn't get enough distance between the cat and the background to get the background black anyway. She was on the kitchen table. Works well when you can get the bg black. Have only used it over the last week or so, for shots of Finley and Lorna. Give it a go, and see how you get on.

Back