car battery charger

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
This morning I had a bit of problem, a stupid thing really, the car battery charger didn't work. Now this is the expensive CTEK MXS 5.0 charger costing around £70/80 and designed for AGM batteries used on stop/ start cars.
It was the old dried grease on the terminals preventing a proper contact. Phew though the charger had packed up

Last edited:
I have a similar charger to keep assorted bikes and cars topped up. All the vehicles have a fly lead attached to the battery connector bolts so there's no faffing with crocodile clips. Looking at the CTEK site, a similar system is available for your charger.

I've had the same charger since I was a teenager and it's still working. I recently bought one of those battery car starter things which doubles up as a torch and a portable battery bank. It works really well and starts either my MX5 or Hyundai Getz easily. I'd recommend one. My MX5 sits in the garage for months on end sometimes as I often just don't get the time or opportunity to use it and of course if it's a nice day sometimes the battery is flat and it wont start but this battery starter thing starts it every time. It lives in the boot now just in case.

This is the one I got...

Deep discharges will kill any lead acid battery which is why I keep Mrs Nod's MX-5's battery topped up enough to start using the little trickle/conditioning charger.

I have a similar charger to keep assorted bikes and cars topped up. All the vehicles have a fly lead attached to the battery connector bolts so there's no faffing with crocodile clips. Looking at the CTEK site, a similar system is available for your charger.
I use a CTEK charger & have the fly leads on the batteries in our motorhome. It's especially useful for the vehicle battery which sits under the cab floor, accessible via a hatch & beneath the cab floor carpet.

This morning I had a bit of problem, a stupid thing really, the car battery charger didn't work. Now this is the expensive CTEK MXS 5.0 charger costing around £70/80 and designed for AGM batteries used on stop/ start cars.
It was the old dried grease on the terminals preventing a proper contact. Phew though the charger had packed up
I thought my CTEK charger was faulty too, until I noticed I had fixed the crocodile clip to a piece of grey plastic shielding on the connector. In the gloom of the garage it looked like dull zinc :oops: :$

Deep discharges will kill any lead acid battery which is why I keep Mrs Nod's MX-5's battery topped up enough to start using the little trickle/conditioning charger.

I know.

I have a solar powered trickle charger but it only works in the summer. I don't tend to leave powered chargers on unattended because of the possibility of problems or fires so I don't have a powered trickle charger in use. I do charge the battery up and run the engine periodically during the day when we're home as and when I can but sometimes sadly the battery does run flat. I've had the car for decades and I'm only on my second reconditioned battery the first having failed so quickly it must have had a fault and was replaced under warranty so I'm not too worried that my batteries life is being significantly shortened. The Getz is in regular use but during lockdown earlier in the year the battery did go flat when someone else was doing the shopping for us and on that occasion the starter did the job and I charged the battery later. These days we do the shopping ourselves so have had no more problems with eth Getz.

I have a very small solar charger on one of the bikes and it keeps it topped up even in winter. No alarm or similar constant drain on that bike so just the angels' share to keep on top of! Charger faces due South and is in whatever sunshine there might be from 11 am onwards.

I have a Bosch trickle charger that is often left attached to my Honda at this time of year, but, recently the battery had flattened totally and it wouldn’t work, since the battery was flat it didn’t recognise it was coupled in and wouldn’t turn on, luckily I had an old fashioned charger around to get some charge in it to work.

Back