Car buying advice please...downsizing, or am I?

If possible I'd double check that the AWD is working before taking it away. Kia (and Hyundai) AWD drivetrains are notorious for failing and the parts are extortionate. A failed rear diff carrier doesn't throw a fault code and it's a £2k part to replace. Tarmac front wheelspin test will reveal.

I much preferred this post before it was edited but can understand why it was.

It's my phone, or maybe Android because it happened with my previous phone. I was trying to compress it down a little but it kept screwing up words with illegible autocorrect and doubling up words etc. I lost patience and started from scratch.

They all have there faults ,I went through lots of options before settling on the Sportage ,the Suzuki you mention suffer from recurring cam belt failures ,you pays yer money and takes yer chances ,the Sportage ticks the boxes for us so time will tell

They all have there faults ,I went through lots of options before settling on the Sportage ,the Suzuki you mention suffer from recurring cam belt failures ,you pays yer money and takes yer chances ,the Sportage ticks the boxes for us so time will tell

Isn't that just for the diesel version which is a Renault engine? I think it is the water pumps which fail and subsequently destroy the timing belt. But it did make me check the TSBs on Autodata and there's quite a few more than I would have expected for a Suzuki as my wife's Swift has only 2 TSBs which is usually a good indicator.. Good to know about the Grand Vitara though :)

Last edited:
yep ,also looked at freelanders ,roof to low for me . the list goes on the one I have bought has just had full service ,12 months m.o.t ,new clutch ,new water pump and new cam belt .and as my current Volvo S60 needs around £1000 worth of work done its a no brainer

yep ,also looked at freelanders ,roof to low for me . the list goes on the one I have bought has just had full service ,12 months m.o.t ,new clutch ,new water pump and new cam belt .and as my current Volvo S60 needs around £1000 worth of work done its a no brainer

Funny you mention Freelanders as I was also looking at them. I remember many moons ago a mate had the 1st gen and it was woefully under powered but I had a look at the 2nd gen as it's supposed to be a little more upmarket and and also accomplished in the AWD department (uses Haldex I believe) compared to other soft roaders. I'm not sure if it uses LSD on the rear or individual wheel breaking etc to chuck power to non slipping wheels but after a little checking it would seem the Freelander likes to destroy rear diffs.

Sounds like you've got a good deal. If you do ever get a problem with the rear diff carrier I'm sure the Sportage one can be stripped and the bearings + seal replaced for literally around £50 + labour. There's a video of an American mechanic doing it rather than simply replacing it at great cost. I do sometimes take reports of car problems with a pinch of salt as you don't know how the cars have been driven and also if they've been maintained properly. Apparently the Kia's AWD have a break-in period and the various boxes should have their fluids changed very early on to get the tiny metal shards out before they attack all the bearings etc. I wonder how many main dealers bother to do it?

I've zero trust in main dealers, they always 5W30 (cheaper) rather than the specified oil such as 0W20 and often don't even do the the work. I remember Parks at East Kilbride charging me for a new fuel filter in a Mondeo but I challenged them which they tried to argue until I took them to the car and asked how the new fuel filter managed to rust up in the space of 30 minutes? Then there's Henry's Honda in Glasgow who my brother took bought his Civic from and also took it to for servicing for many, many years until I checked it over myself and it was obvious they had never even lifted the bonnet. Douglas Park BMW.....well they hunt for any dash cameras and disconnect them before doing anything. I'm ranting now lol

Four miles to work = walk!
Steve.

Only 4 miles - when I had a really short journey I had ridiculous cars. V12 Jag, ran it until it needed 4 tyres and an exhaust :) Petrols nothing for that journey, might as well go in comfort.

Examples - you could search for newer examples or others (Audi A6 etc)

Jag S type V8. Everyone thinks it's a grandad car until they are looking at the rear disappearing from the lights
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804115439983

Porsche Cayenne
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802233999304

Range Rover V8 Vogue
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804115437205

Go big and petrol, you get a lot of car for the money and 4 miles to work won't cost you much to run. Be seen as the cool teacher at work, especially if the exhaust is noisy :D

Funny you mention Freelanders as I was also looking at them. I remember many moons ago a mate had the 1st gen and it was woefully under powered but I had a look at the 2nd gen as it's supposed to be a little more upmarket and and also accomplished in the AWD department (uses Haldex I believe) compared to other soft roaders. I'm not sure if it uses LSD on the rear or individual wheel breaking etc to chuck power to non slipping wheels but after a little checking it would seem the Freelander likes to destroy rear diffs.

Sounds like you've got a good deal. If you do ever get a problem with the rear diff carrier I'm sure the Sportage one can be stripped and the bearings + seal replaced for literally around £50 + labour. There's a video of an American mechanic doing it rather than simply replacing it at great cost. I do sometimes take reports of car problems with a pinch of salt as you don't know how the cars have been driven and also if they've been maintained properly. Apparently the Kia's AWD have a break-in period and the various boxes should have their fluids changed very early on to get the tiny metal shards out before they attack all the bearings etc. I wonder how many main dealers bother to do it?

I've zero trust in main dealers, they always 5W30 (cheaper) rather than the specified oil such as 0W20 and often don't even do the the work. I remember Parks at East Kilbride charging me for a new fuel filter in a Mondeo but I challenged them which they tried to argue until I took them to the car and asked how the new fuel filter managed to rust up in the space of 30 minutes? Then there's Henry's Honda in Glasgow who my brother took bought his Civic from and also took it to for servicing for many, many years until I checked it over myself and it was obvious they had never even lifted the bonnet. Douglas Park BMW.....well they hunt for any dash cameras and disconnect them before doing anything. I'm ranting now lol
I’m lucky that a neighbour is also a m.o.t tester and works for a major chain .so I get him to do all my work knowing it’s gonna be kosher and most of the time I’m with him watching and learning as well

Only 4 miles - when I had a really short journey I had ridiculous cars. V12 Jag, ran it until it needed 4 tyres and an exhaust :) Petrols nothing for that journey, might as well go in comfort.

Examples - you could search for newer examples or others (Audi A6 etc)

Jag S type V8. Everyone thinks it's a grandad car until they are looking at the rear disappearing from the lights
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804115439983

Porsche Cayenne
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802233999304

Range Rover V8 Vogue
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804115437205

Go big and petrol, you get a lot of car for the money and 4 miles to work won't cost you much to run. Be seen as the cool teacher at work, especially if the exhaust is noisy :D

[emoji1]
Probably too old to be cool anymore! One of my "younger" colleagues drives an Audi TT. It takes a lot to impress many of these kids as mummy, daddy and the au pair all drive unnecessarily large 4x4s etc #commuterbelt #Teslasatparentsevening

Back