Car Insurance - Named Driver ?

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know the answer please...

I am a named driver on my Fathers insurance policy, if he has a temp medical condition which has to be notified to the DVLA and they stop him driving for a period of time, am I still able to drive his car ?

Thanks

Stu

Stu, I think the only safe way to find out is ring them up.
Different company's have different rules ,so double check with them and if they say it is OK,ask them to confirm this in writing.
There might be a fee for this ,but it is the only way to cover you're back in case of a claim.:shrug:

Haha, beat me to it.

Stuart,

As above - though if he continues to own the car and is the registered keeper (i.e. a temp DVLA ban) he still legally has to insure it, if on a road etc. Either way you'll have to notify the ins co of the changes, him being DVLA restricted etc.

Things could get awkward if say you're 18 and will effectively become the main driver.

As above, really the only way to be 100% is to contact the insurers and ask them.

Much better to be def sure than presume you should be okay and something happens and you find out you're not !

Either way, hope your dads better soon

Last edited:
Thanks all, I tried calling the DVLA this afternoon to confirm his condition does mean he can't drive till after an op, but they are closed till the New Year. I want the answer from them before asking the insurance company.

Lynton, 18, I wish, thats a long time ago...:LOL:

I cannot see any reason why you cannot continue to drive his car, as long as the policy remains valid you are named as covered on it.

my mother and partner were in similar circumstances, mum couldnt drive for a year recovering from an illness, her insurance swapped the drivers so she was named and partner the main driver. hope that helps

I guess that if something is serious enough to have to be legally "notified" to the DVLA then it would be a requirement to also notify the insurer. Not sure how serious an illness needs to be before it becomes mandatory to notify the DVLA though.

I'd bet a pound to a penny the DVLA will just tell you to contact the insurers. They won't know the policies of every insurance company and wouldn't presume to speak on their behalf.

I cannot see any reason why you cannot continue to drive his car, as long as the policy remains valid you are named as covered on it.

The problem, or rather the potential problem, lies with who is the main driver. A named driver cannot be the main driver. So if the policy holder is registered as unable to drive, the named driver could be deemed to be the main driver. If that is the case, the policy could become void in the event of a claim.

In any case, the insurance company should be notified of your fathers condition should the DVLA tell him he can't drive. Or, for that matter, any medical professional tells him the same.

If the insurance company deems it a temporary situation, I'm sure it will be fine, but as others have said.... get it in writing. It's insurance companies we are talking about here :cautious:

As with other posts, hope your father gets better very soon.

OK - and fairly obvious not the case in this scenario............

Lets say the father is 50, son is 18 and is a named driver. Suddenly the father cannot drive the car, and as the only named driver on the policy the 18 yr old therefore becomes the main driver.

If you tell the insurance co.... chances are premium will be adjusted to reflect these circumstances.

If you don't tell them and an incident happens, they could probably go down the "fronting" lines , and try to avoid paying out to the PH.

Different insurers will interpret the circumstances and as to the cause of DVLA ban / medical advice (a doctor cannot force the stop, merely advise / tell) in different ways, therefore the sound advice of many above implies.

Stu - you need to speak to the ins co, not DVLA. Well technically your dad does for DPA purposes, unless notified on the policy that you have access to amend / adjust policy etc....

If the DVLA withdraw/suspend his dad's licence he (the dad) will have to inform the insurers anyway, if the policy remains valid he will be able to continue driving as a named driver.
If it was me I wouldn't be jumping the gun by going to the insurers before I knew what the situation was.

gramps said:
If the DVLA withdraw/suspend his dad's licence he (the dad) will have to inform the insurers anyway, if the policy remains valid he will be able to continue driving as a named driver.
If it was me I wouldn't be jumping the gun by going to the insurers before I knew what the situation was.

I believe the problem with them main driver being the person who uses the car the most. If that then becomes the son then it's fronting

Right here's what I have decided to do, I spoke to his doctor, who was very helpful. There are guidelines on the DVLA site as to what medical conditions are deemed "notifiable". Doctor has told me to call the DVLA, which I cannot do till the New Year, they will then decide if he can drive or not. Depending on the out come, I will contact the insurers and explain the situation and take it from there.

He will not be driving between now and the New Year so won't be a problem.

Obviuosly my brother and I want him to make a speedy recovery, just need to keep the car in running order by me using it a couple of times a week to go to work.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Stu

Right here's what I have decided to do, I spoke to his doctor, who was very helpful. There are guidelines on the DVLA site as to what medical conditions are deemed "notifiable". Doctor has told me to call the DVLA, which I cannot do till the New Year, they will then decide if he can drive or not. Depending on the out come, I will contact the insurers and explain the situation and take it from there.

He will not be driving between now and the New Year so won't be a problem.

Obviuosly my brother and I want him to make a speedy recovery, just need to keep the car in running order by me using it a couple of times a week to go to work.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Stu

(y) sensible option.

Hope he soon makes a speedy recovery

I would definitely inform the insurance company and ask for their take on it, however my take would be......

An insurance policy runs for a year and provided the named driver covers more miles in that year than the named driver(s) on that policy you shouldn't have any problems.

Back