Car/mechanics question

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

I've had a look around the net and can't find a definitive answer to this question, and I know a lot of you fanny about with cars a fair bit, so I may as well ask here.

My motor (2001 Focus 1.8 TDDI Saloon) is making a 'knocking' noise when cornering. I had the nearside anti-rollbar droplink replaced about a year and a half ago, and I'm 99.99% sure that the offside one has now become buggerated too.

The part itself isn't particularly expensive, and from what I remember seeing them do to my car in the garage last time, its not a massive job so I'm thinking I could probably do it myself.

Can anybody confirm that this is a easy/hard job to do for a non-mechanic? Also, I don't know if the ones I've got on are steel or aluminium (or even one of each), so am I as well changing both to be sure?

very easy to tell them apart, the steel one is a golden colour and is about as thick as a biro. The alu one is a cast item and is much chunkier in appearence.

Both fix to the anti roll bar and struts in the same way. They have a self locking nut at either end and depending on the age/revision of the spindle, i'll have spanner flats or an internal allen fitting so you can hold the spindle while you undo the nut.

very easy to change as they don't become that tight in either the ARB or strut.

With the wheels raised from the floor or with the wheels locked over, you'll load the Anti roll bar up and removing the link can be a bit harder than you'd expect, nothing a carefully positioned screwdriver can't over come though ;)

Always worth a shot as they do suffer with wear, but strut top bearings and lower arm ball joints can cause a similar although more expensive knock.

hope it helps

Sure its not play in a wheel bearing?

As long as you can get the car off the ground and well supported, it's a piece of cake.

Well, this 'knock' is worse when its cold. On warmer days or when the car's been running for a while you can barely notice it. I'm told this is due to lubrication in the joint itself drying out so the bar doesn't rotate freely in the joint any more, and 'snaps' from one position to another causing a knocking effect.

Thx for info. :)

i have a knock when turning left, only first thing in the morning, am i about to have to open my wallet again>

very easy to tell them apart, the steel one is a golden colour and is about as thick as a biro. The alu one is a cast item and is much chunkier in appearence.

Both fix to the anti roll bar and struts in the same way. They have a self locking nut at either end and depending on the age/revision of the spindle, i'll have spanner flats or an internal allen fitting so you can hold the spindle while you undo the nut.

very easy to change as they don't become that tight in either the ARB or strut.

With the wheels raised from the floor or with the wheels locked over, you'll load the Anti roll bar up and removing the link can be a bit harder than you'd expect, nothing a carefully positioned screwdriver can't over come though ;)

Always worth a shot as they do suffer with wear, but strut top bearings and lower arm ball joints can cause a similar although more expensive knock.

hope it helps

Is it wrong that I'm slightly turned on by all that mechanic talk? :LOL: :D :p

Jewel

sorry, carry on :exit:

:thinking:

I've seen some Focus anti rollbar links for £5 each - steel ones, and aluminium ones for around £9 each.

I just got off the phone to the local Ford parts department, who are quoting me £35.17+VAT per link! :eek:

Are the Ford ones made from ********* platinum or what?! Unfortunately I didn't get chance to ask. The guy had hung up the phone by the time I got up off the floor.

But seriously though - is aluminium or steel best for this? The ones I've seen are on eBay (new), and the advertiser of the aluminium ones warns against buying steel ones.

I'm all confused.

Is it wrong that I'm slightly turned on by all that mechanic talk? :LOL: :D :p

Jewel

sorry, carry on :exit:

Wanna see my torque wrench Jules? :naughty:

GfK.

I've run this by No2 Son (engineer) and he says he'd go for steel every time. :shrug:

Thanks for that. I'm 99% sure the ones I have on already will be steel anyway. Even the Eibach anti-rollbar kits are made from steel and I really can't see any advantage (other than [a miniscule amount of] weight) with aluminium.

there's no real difference between the 2 and iirc they can be interchanged as their lengths were the same and they both wear out at a similar rate.
Alu ones look better though ;)

Jewel, catch me on msn and i'll tell you all about my swivel axis inclination :naughty:

Matty......pleeeeeease don't open your wallet again, the last time that happened the poor girl on the checkout had to go and ask what a pound note was, poor lass has been confused ever since :wacky:

Back