Car Questions from the Ladies please ... ?

Edit My Images
No
Strange but serious request I know so here goes ... :p

A friend of mine is working on a web page aimed at the fairer sex and to be included on a dealer web site ... :help:

One of the things she wants to include are "Commonly asked questions" ... (by ladies of course) car related to or of Car Dealers/Garages particularly when thinking of buying a motor ... :thinking:

I have had all the usual funnies already of course but not being in the right body and mind set I really cannot help her ... :shrug:

It would be really great to have some serious ideas from the ladies here including what they might expect or like to see in such a web page section ... ;)

Of course if you have any other suggestions about stuff for a Ladies page on a dealer's web site I am sure they would be very gratefully received too ... :D

Thank you all in advance for looking and responding (if you do of course ... !) ... :ty:

Rog...:p

Panic call from supermarket car park. "I can't get the car into drive - the lever won't move" .

My response - Did you press the foot brake first?

"I have to press the foot brake to get it in to drive??"

New car which she had been driving for 2 months and apparently accidentally resting her foot on the brake when starting the engine on all previous outings :)

To be fair the previous car was auto too and did not need the brake pressed. New legislation maybe?

"How do I stop the petrol coming back out of the exhaust as I'm pouring it in?"

You have to. Its a classic. :D

OR....

"How do you drive, again?"

:D :D :D

I knew it coulldn't be resisted and thanks guys but ... although I did smile at those the sort of questions I was really after were more of the serious type ... as in "Does the interior leather come in pink ... ?"

OK a bit ott I know but you get my drift ... :shrug:

:p

Aww lads ... not being sexist here now are we!!! :nono: :LOL:

Ven, I belong to a site that is predominantly women ... and unfortunately, much like the above, :puke:
Ill ask for you and if I get any nice fluffy responses, Ill be sure to get back to you. :D

Glo said:
Aww lads ... not being sexist here now are we!!!
Not really surprised are you ... :D

Thanx a lot for the offer Glo ... that would be v. much appreciated if you did ... (y)

And even more so if you came up with something ... ;)

Hmmm... this is a tricky one cos I always get the other half to do all the technical stuff involved :) Will have a think and get back to you!

A few years ago I taught a few ladies a basic car maintainance course at the local tech college :eek:

Never ever ever will I subject myself to such trauma!

I asked for some experiences from the attendees to get a feel for the level of ability and was stunned when one lady said she topped up the washer bottle on her husbands car.....only problem was she poured the water into the oil filler :eek:

Thinking that would be the worst of the horror stories another girl raised her hand and informed me that she'd managed to fit the spare wheel to her car, only to be stopped by the police on the M53 with the spare wheel fitted back to front...i.e with the outside face of the road wheel fitted against the hub. She told the police that she thought it drove funny since the wheel change but put it down to it being the spare.

Good luck with it Ven. (y)

I have to say, if I was looking on a website for a new car and found that they had been patronising to include a "Ladies page" I would go elsewhere for my car. Hilarious in our household when we have to go car-shopping. The other half knows nothing about cars and tends to refer to (and prefer!) them by colour! Of course inevitably the dealer always starts speaking mainly to Ben, only to be told "No point asking me - she knows all about it!"

There are so many women out there who seem to pride themselves on not being able to do things.......it makes my blood boil!

I have to say, if I was looking on a website for a new car and found that they had been patronising to include a "Ladies page" I would go elsewhere for my car.

Interesting reaction Witchy woman ... not even occurred to me that it might be thought of like that ... :eek: ... why would you take it so :thinking:

It's actually really quite sexist. To presume a woman needs 'special' advice about cars that a man doesn't need could be seen as unfair. There are plenty of blokes out there that know nothing about cars. Just my 2p.

It's actually really quite sexist. To presume a woman needs 'special' advice about cars that a man doesn't need could be seen

There is a huge lot of them out there who REALLY don't know the first thing about the technical side of a car...

My wife is one of them and she is highly educated in many academic fields...

One of the better ones were when she asked me how the engine could turn because "an engine is this big metal thing that sits there and nothing spins...."

S'true, promise:boxer: :boxer: :boxer:

That being said I know a few men who also should not be allowed to be within 100 feet of a car...

That being said I know a few men who also should not be allowed to be within 100 feet of a car...

I've had the misfortune to spend time with a couple of hundred people who are paid to work on cars who'd fall into that!!!! :eek: !!!!!

Hey V

How about: How often should I check the oil?

or: Battery maintenance as a topic,

or: What pressure should the tyres be?

or: Why I cannot / should not try to run start an automatic transmission car?

Dunno if this helps but hope it did!:shrug:

My questions have always depended on the age of my kids at the time:

Can I park it easily...does it have a brilliant turning circle, good mirrors?
Can I get a trillion miles to the gallon?

Can I get a weeks shopping plus baby buggy into the boot?
Can I get baby seats in and out easily?
Do seats fold easily, so I dont break finger nails all the time?

Does the middle seat in the back have a three point safety belt?
Can I get a Marshall stack into the car, plus floor monitor, two guitars, a mic stand and a box of cables?
Is it a low insurance group for adding sons to insurance.

I'm a typical woman driver! Paul had to change my tyre the other day (I keep hitting the curbs and it wasn't looking good) once i figured out where the spare was he then wanted the tools to change it, didn't even know I had any :embarrassed: I don't know how to check the oil or water levels the only thing I'm ever interested in when buying a car is the colour :thinking: I'm lucky my dad and brother are mechanics I'd be too worried going to a garage because I wouldn't understand what they are saying and would probably let them spend all my money :bonk:

My wife bought a peogot 206 purely on the fact that "it's a nice blue colour and cute"

She wouldn't even test drive one until I drove one to a large car park and got out of it saying "if you want it , you've got to drive it first"

Back on topic , a seperate site/page for women drivers could put people of while a "noob page" with a femine bias could appeal to women and "people of an alternate sexuality"

I'm with Witch. I love cars and would really be put off by a feminine section although a car novice section is great! Although I will admit that I enjoy the cuteness factor in a car I did months of research before chosing the one I have. Although what I wanted was the V6 clio but my hubby said it just wasn't practical... damn him.

I would put some basic tutorials in there such as:
-How to check the oil
-How to check brake fluid (and the proper way to do it)
-How to check the coolant
-How to change the oil
-How to change out windshield wipers
-How to clean battery terminals
-How to check brake pad wear

True story from my driving instructor which made me laugh...

Ex client of his drove down then local dual carriageway and noticed a funny noise, so naturally she turned her radio up. The noise got louder, and so did the radio. Louder still and with the radio on full blast by now she was a little surprised to discover she'd spun off the road (no-one hit/hurt).

Turns out she'd got a flat tyre, which cut its way through the tread and eventually she was running on the steel rim - braking for a roundabout spun the car

Back