Car rental abroad

Edit My Images
Yes
So we’re going to Lake Garda in June and there aren’t transfers from Milan Bergamo to Lake Garda; We’re going to rent a car and have found the best pice being a BMW 2 series auto for the week for £95 ish. This is only third party. Now, its around another 100 to add the fully monty cover on with these guys, however would you recommend doing this or just getting the basic “car and third party” here and then get the insurance separately if that makes sense? I had a quick google and it does show its a bit of a scam at car rental places!

Adive appreciate - preferably ASAP as I don’t know how long this rental offer will be, as it seems a fair price for a week!

Thanks

Interesting.

If you're hiring a car abroad, it can certainly make sense to arrange top-up insurance before you go. However, my experience has always been with "excess insurance" - ie reducing your excess from the high rates that some hire car companies charge down your zero - which isn't quite what you're looking for.

A good place to start is moneymaxim.co.uk. They have a hire car excess insurance price comparator - they might also be able to do the kind of insurance you're looking for.

(Incidentally, personally I prefer to use Holiday Autos for my overseas car hire requirements. Fully insured, zero excess, friendly cancellation terms. It just takes all the hassle out.)

I have always buy separate "car hire excess insurance". Last year I bought an annual excess insurance for something like £40 from Dec 2016 to Dec 2017, we went and rented at Australia, NZ, Switzerland-France trip, Spain and Ireland. Never needed it, but well worth the £40 for piece of mind.

The reason "zero excess" add-on at car hire company is so expensive is because there is zero hassle. You essentially have zero responsibility to maintain the car, any damage to the car is fine. The Switzerland-France trip was done in 2 cars, the other car had a newbie driver so they bought full cover. On returning the car, they had 2 dented bumpers and a scratch, but zero hassle and zero additional cost. On the other hand, if I had damaged the car, I'll have to bear the cost myself initially, take all the evidence and claim the money back from excess insurance company.

As an alternative, from Bergamo you can take a train to Desenzano del Garda or Peschiera del Garda, and there are buses that run up each side of the lake.

I'm having a week there in the summer so looked into it, but I'm flying in to Verona, which is on the same train line.

I have bought from insurance4carhire twice, once for Slovenia and once for the Channel Islands, never had to claim though.

Also if you haven’t hired a car in Italy before don’t forget to allow a couple of hours for the hire desk, they tend to be very slow and understaffed in my experience...even if you book online and they have all your details in advance.

The chances are you will be bullied into there excess insurance. You will pay a fortune for fuel. As above get your own insurance. You will still be bullied and asked to put your credit card up to pay. All being well it will be cancelled. I have found a small car hire in Spain and they are good. Pick it up and return with same fuel. And no excess insurance.

At the pick-up desk, just say "I don't need anything extra thank you" as early as possible. I'm sure the staff are equally as tired of pushing the excess insurance. Most of my pick-ups are less than 10min.

The credit card is understandably compulsory, but usually they'll only block off likes of £200 instead of the full £1500 excess amount, so it's not a big deal.

Yes, always, always hire with Full-Full fuel policy.

If you take out your own excess insurance make sure you take the time to document every scrach/dent on the car no matter how small, including the windscreen.
I have seen a few high companies find the smallest mark on a car when it's returned and as you have your own insurance they'll charge you the excess knowing you can claim it back when you get back home.
I usually take photos and video of the car and insist that the attendants alter and sign their paperwork before leaving with the car and ensure when returning it that I'm chatting to another customer about the video etc.

Reactions: BBR
Thanks guys! I’ve not got my excess insurance yet but nearer the time will! Car booked which I’m happy with, so next step is insurance! BMW 2 series here we come!

Now just need to decide on equipment to take... Canon M6 and the lens or just the trusty V Lux 114.. or Leica X1.. or Leica C... haha!

Back