Car Tax Disk Failure

No, you need to get the test station to collect it

No you don’t. You are legally allowed to drive to and from a pre booked MOT. Insurance isn’t invalidated either for that trip. It’s only invalid if you take the pee and just drive about randomly.

Wrong, a car with no MOT is deemed unroadworthy and insurance would be invalidated
But an MOT only guarantees roadworthiness on the day it passes it's test. It can become unroadworthy at anytime during the next 12 months. What if your car was parked on your drive with no MOT and someone stole it. Are you saying the insurance won't pay out because it is invalidated. After a quick Google what I have found is it is up to the discretion of the insurance company and will be in the small print as to whether the insurance is invalidated with no MOT.

Are you saying the insurance won't pay out because it is invalidated.
Quite possibly, you know how insurance companies like to wriggle ;)

Quite possibly, you know how insurance companies like to wriggle ;)
True. That's why I suspect this maybe something down to insurance companies rules and not actually law.

Not very far on those of us who are exempt though.
Surely there could be an exemption system?

Saying that, that would be a 'point of compromise' in the system that fraudsters would take advantage of. That said, fraudsters are currently taking advantage of it now.

Wrong, a car with no MOT is deemed unroadworthy and insurance would be invalidated
Incorrect - and often quoted as the truth.
Your insurance co insist that your car is 'roadworthy' but there's no guarantee that a car without an MOT is not roadworthy or that a car with one isn't.

As @Phil V says, that’s an old myth, unless your insurance policy specifically states MOT is required, the requirement is that the car is roadworthy.

A car can have an MOT and be unroadworthy, whilst a car without MOT could still be roadworthy.

I'm not going to test that, as has been said insurance companies can wriggle out of things,
they may only insure you to satisfy the law, ok so unroadworthy might not be the right term so let's be pedantic and call it legally
unroadworthy, as both car tax and MOT are a legal requirement for a vehicle to be used on the public highway

It was always a case of needing current insurance and an MOT to get road tax but that is where any reliance ends unless as previously stated the insurance company has made a specific reference in it's policy terms.
If however a car with no MOT is writen off you are likely to receive a lower settlement valuation than if the car had a current MOT.

If however a car with no MOT is writen off you are likely to receive a lower settlement valuation than if the car had a current MOT.
From a police website
  • Fines – A fine of up to £1,000 can be levied, and a vehicle possibly impounded if it’s found to have an invalid MOT certificate.
The bottom line is that if your MOT is out of date and you’re involved in a crash, in nearly all cases your insurer will declare your cover to be invalid, no matter how much you’ve paid for it.
An isurance site goes on to say, at best the insures will cover you 3rd party, the minimum required.

A vehicle under SORN can be kept off the road and be insured. It can also be driven to (and from) a prebooked MoT (but you can't legally stop at a post office to tax it on the way home). Plenty of cars on the road with no MoT OR any legal need to have one. They should be in a roadworthy condition though. They'll also have free tax.

I'm not going to test that, as has been said insurance companies can wriggle out of things,
they may only insure you to satisfy the law, ok so unroadworthy might not be the right term so let's be pedantic and call it legally
unroadworthy, as both car tax and MOT are a legal requirement for a vehicle to be used on the public highway

Why would you have to test it, it’s the current regulation as laid down by the Insurance Ombudsman’s Office.

13. roadworthiness

Most motor policies contain a specific requirement that the vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy state. When deciding whether it was reasonable for an insurer to reject a consumer’s claim, we will look for evidence that the loss or damage was mostly likely caused – or was significantly contributed to – because the vehicle was not roadworthy.

An insurer can also reduce a payout on the basis that the vehicle was not in good condition. In these cases, we will look for evidence that the condition of the condition of the vehicle – or parts of it – were poor to decide whether this deduction is fair.

If the vehicle did not have a current MOT certificate, we will consider how likely it was that the vehicle would have passed an MOT test. If we decide – on the balance of probabilities – that the vehicle would have failed the test, we are likely to say that a deduction of up to 10% is reasonable."

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html

A vehicle under SORN can be kept off the road and be insured. It can also be driven to (and from) a prebooked MoT (but you can't legally stop at a post office to tax it on the way home). Plenty of cars on the road with no MoT OR any legal need to have one. They should be in a roadworthy condition though. They'll also have free tax.
You wouldn't need to stop at the PO anyway. You can phone the DVLA before leaving the garage.

You wouldn't need to stop at the PO anyway. You can phone the DVLA before leaving the garage.

Can take a while for the MoT to register with them, even in these days of instant data transfer. Likewise taxing the vehicle using a phone or computer, especially when the document number hasn't got enough characters.

What about when the MOT has run out and you are allowed to drive to a pre booked test.

I had this with a defender I was restoring , Insurance was valid but at the insurance companies discretion, I had to get their permission to drive with no MOT , the garage I use is 30 miles away, amazingly as long as I drove directly there and back the distance to the MOT station didn't matter as long as it was booked in , I rang every government dept I could think of to make sure that was correct.

personally getting rid of the tax disk was great for me as i don't have to stick the stupid holders on my motorbikes

Back