Car Tax (road fund) gap.

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Weird one this. i bought a second car nearly two years ago. For the first year I decided to pay the "tax" monthly by DD. At the end of the first year I had a reminder through. It said "if your MOT and insurance are up to date direct debits will continue". as they were, i thought nothing of it, filed the reminder and forgot about it.
This month trying to book the car in for MOT the assstant says, "you do realise that car s not taxed do you?"
I say "No! Its on direct debit"
Anyway I looked into it and sure enough the direct debit hadnt renewed and I hadnt noticed. So I rush to the online page to tax the car. I can only tax it from the current month for 6 or 12 years. Not able to go back and pay the year off in full. so I pay the 12 month in one hit, now covered until end of next March,. As Im doing so I get warning about not paying car tax or declaring SORN for the period (May to March) the car wasnt taxed and that I may be contacted by "them" for investigation.

So anyone any thoughts on what might happen? Bring back the paper disc, at least you knew you were covered and when til with that. :banghead:

The DDs all have the registration number of the car in them. If you set to renew and carry on with the monthly DDs why didn't you notice in the first month or two? You have been a bit unobservant...

If the tax is due for renewal too close to an MOT running out then I think it won't renew automatically. Ditto insurance.

The system is automated these days, so surprised you haven't had a letter already telling you off for not declaring SORN. Is the V5 at the correct address?

Paper disc was no help to me, I didn't get the paper reminder in the post one time and it lapsed. I never looked at the disc so I only realised when one of my colleagues walked past my car and said "Do you realise your tax disc expired three months ago?"

If they do investigate, send them a copy of the reminder. I would imagine the worst they can do is ask for the money they failed to collect.

We had a similar odd one last year my missus had to take some time off after carpel tunnel surgery and then a nasty chest infection and thus her motorbike missed its MOT. I might look back at the bank statements for that period to see if the tax DD carried on as both our bikes are done monthly as well as our car although we do SORN over winter. I actually only found out when I looked online at the DVLA site to find when it was due as I couldn't be bothered to go troll in the file.

If they get nasty they will use the excuse that you should have noticed no deductions from your bank account and it's your responsibility to ensure it's taxed.
The result would probably be you have to pay the back tax and possibly a fine, if they get nasty.
Who knows if they will get nasty?

We had a similar odd one last year my missus had to take some time off after carpel tunnel surgery and then a nasty chest infection and thus her motorbike missed its MOT. I might look back at the bank statements for that period to see if the tax DD carried on as both our bikes are done monthly as well as our car although we do SORN over winter. I actually only found out when I looked online at the DVLA site to find when it was due as I couldn't be bothered to go troll in the file.
The MOT expiring shouldn't negate your VED. Paying by monthly DD shouldn't change that neither. The only thing your wife could be fined for is no MOT, but only if stopped and found to be riding without one. As that hasn't happened, all is ok. They can't prove the bike has been used since the MOT expired.

If they get nasty they will use the excuse that you should have noticed no deductions from your bank account and it's your responsibility to ensure it's taxed.
The result would probably be you have to pay the back tax and possibly a fine, if they get nasty.
Who knows if they will get nasty?
Notifications of a continuation of a DD normally state you don't have to take any further action. If they failed to make the deductions, then it is their fault not his. All they should be able to ask for is the money they failed to collect.

Call them.
Explain.
They'll ask for the missing revenue.
That's about it.

stop panicking you will be fine something similar happened to me last year, i never received a reminder for one of my cars, (ive got 2 cars and a motorbike, plus i tax my birds car for her so i missed not doing it), i rang them up and taxed it over the phone, they never even backdated it the couple of months

stop panicking you will be fine something similar happened to me last year, i never received a reminder for one of my cars, (ive got 2 cars and a motorbike, plus i tax my birds car for her so i missed not doing it), i rang them up and taxed it over the phone, they never even backdated it the couple of months
Im not panicking exactly, just wondering.

Just put my z750 on the road, robbing gits best part of £90/year paying monthly

When I bought my current car I sat in the dealers office and arranged insurance over the phone then went on-line to DVLA web site to arrange VED. Paid for 12 months up front and got a nice email thanking me for my payment.

3 months later I got a fine through the post for driving an un-taxed vehicle - must have driven past an ANPR camera somewhere. When I rang DVLA they couldn't have been less helpful ... the computers says no!

The payment had been taken from my card on the day and I had an email from them confirming payment. Didn't hold any water with them so I eventually waited for the court summons to arrive, by which time the fine, plus penalties had amounted to quite a sum. On the morning before the court appearance I got a letter from DVLA thanking me for making payment and saying that the case was now closed and I shouldn't be such a naughty boy in future - and I was so looking forward to having my day in court :(

Back