Wales Cardigan Bay?

Edit My Images
No
Off to Cardigan bay area next week for a few day, any interesting sights/reserves etc anyone know about that's worth a visit ? Will have my wife and son (who has special needs) with me so not looking for anywhere too challenging (besides which I'm not exactly in the best shape myself) :D

Thanks.

Last edited:
Whereabouts are you staying? Cardigan Bay is quite a large area.

What sort of places are you looking for. Photography? Sight seeing? General places of interest?

Last edited:
Staying at St Dogmaels, not really looking for anywhere crowded as my son has issues with lots of people but I would quite like to get some wildlife and landscape shots if possible, especially some of the red kites as we don't have them down south.

Cheers.

St David's Cathedral is well worth a visit. Newgale Beach, Solva is special, nice pub too. New Quay is pretty. Aberaeron is pretty. Aberystwyth is also good to visit...……(Surveyed them all)….

Staying at St Dogmaels, not really looking for anywhere crowded as my son has issues with lots of people but I would quite like to get some wildlife and landscape shots if possible, especially some of the red kites as we don't have them down south.

Cheers.

Luckily most of the crowds have all buggered off now :D

There is a wildlife sanctuary just outside Cardigan and St Dogmaels. Some nice walks and a number of hides.

Of course the estuary that runs next to St dogmaels is lovely and goes down to poppit sands (large beach). Plenty of opportunity for misty sunrise photography with boats etc.

there is Cenarth falls not to far away in Cenarth, plenty of seascape type stuff along the coastline at Mwnt, also Llangrannog is lovely both of these are north of Cardigan and a bit further New quay. Going South, you have Cebwr Bay near Moylegrove and further afield you have Fishguard, st David’s etc. Really depends how far you want to travel. Lots of little hidden away harbour bays going towards St David’s like Solva, Porthgain are worth a look.

Cilgerren Castle is just up the road from the wildlife sanctuary.

Red kites are always around, in particular further inland over the fields. If you’re willing to travel, then the red kite feeding station in the Brecons is worth a visit and easily accessible.

Also not far from Cardigan is the cheese factory or the Honey Farm if you’re into that sort of thing, there also a museum of power although I’ve never been there so have no idea what that’s about.

Last edited:
For Red Kites, there is also Bwlch Nant Yr Arian feeding station, just outside of Aberystwyth, (about 1hour+ away).

Off to Cardigan bay area next week for a few day, any interesting sights/reserves etc anyone know about that's worth a visit ? Will have my wife and son (who has special needs) with me so not looking for anywhere too challenging (besides which I'm not exactly in the best shape myself) :D

Thanks.

Cardigan bay, Aberystwyth and the red kites plus lots of other landscape locations are featured in Photographing South Wales by Drew Buckley https://www.fotovue.com/shop/books/photographing-south-wales/

The Teifi Marshes reserve is highly recommended. Just a mile or so inland of Cardigan. Park in an industrial estate almost under the main road bridge over the river and walk along the footpath/cycle path between the river and the reedbed.

There are about 5 hides along the route; of them all the kingfisher hide is my favourite. It's by a small-ish freshwater pool and although sometimes there are +/- no birds there, when there are they can be very close to the hide. Kingfisher....otter.....if you're lucky.

Of all the other locations mentioned in the above posts, Llangranog is probably the most scenic; at least as scenic as many locations in Pembs further south/west. Mwnt can be good for dolphins, although they can be seen anywhere along this stretch of coast.

Back