Carl's 2017 TP52 Challenge

A man of few words ;)
Ooo er! What happened there? Edit shows the reply but otherwise not displayed. Should read:

Thank you all for your kind comments. This places me high on the list for "Shoehorn of the Week" award but what the heck ha ha - it was fun to do.

Nice take these shots are tricky so well done....i posted mine before i saw yours all i can say is great minds think alike.:)
Hey! Thanks Walter ... great minds as you say. Yours may be deemed to be themed - unfortunately mine, as it doesn't contain the bottle itself, is considered a shoehorn ha ha.

Thought I'd post an alternative that certainly is a Mineral .. an agate to be precise.

Agate by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Last edited:
I prefer the cleaner shot on flickr for smooth, nice and sharp with the water bubbles in the glass and the stream pouring in.

Simple clean shot, nice colours.

(y)

I prefer the cleaner shot on flickr for smooth, nice and sharp with the water bubbles in the glass and the stream pouring in. Simple clean shot, nice colours. (y)
Thanks ST - found it quite difficult to get a white bg and the water looking realistic and not grey. Practice, practice, practice I think.

Oh dear must try not to get so far behind with commenting :(

Love the hairy coconut with the eyeball, this made me laugh :D Very nice pastel colours on the stones and great action shot on the water. Very messy but looks great :D

this one somehow came out looking like a pencil sketch which I quite liked
I like it too and it captures a nice sense of energy of the bubbling water

Lovely colours and details in the alternative agate photo. I tried some on a white background but they looked a bit flat but yours stands out well, I guess the colours in the sample may make a difference.

Oh dear must try not to get so far behind with commenting :( Love the hairy coconut with the eyeball, this made me laugh :D Very nice pastel colours on the stones and great action shot on the water. Very messy but looks great :D
Thanks Georgina - yes, great fun with the water shot ... kept me entertained (big kid)

I tried some on a white background but they looked a bit flat but yours stands out well, I guess the colours in the sample may make a difference.
Thanks Chris. Yes, I think a lot to do with the sample really - I was lucky to have such a colourful one.

Super colours and detail in the second shot Carl, the detail is so good in fact that I can see a couple of bits of fluff you didn't clone out :naughty:
Thanks Dean Shhhhhh don't tell everyone! I see them now ... this after I had put them under tap too !!!

Really like the water(mineral) shot lots of action in it, and I like the exposure.

Really like the water(mineral) shot lots of action in it, and I like the exposure.
I like that mineral shot, the monochrome works nicely but in particular I like the way you caught the turbulance of the water.
Prefer the re-shoot. Nice texture, well lit and spot on focus.
Something different for mineral, I like the pp you have done on it. Works for me. Nice lighting on the 2nd one.

Thank you for all your kind comments. This theme was been particularly educational ... and entertaining.

Hi Carl,
I like that shot, I like that the background isn't pristine.
I'm impressed at how sharp some of the water is considering the shutter speed.

I find it more engaging than the other shot due to the action in it.

its nice you have made use of your felt tips :wacky: interesting Carl, its lacking :spam:

Hmmmm that is an unusual image for you Carl, but I can't work out where you were going with it... the whole thing but the cucumber slices are clipped, so the whole what ?? :thinking:
Just going for the tick in the box Dean. It's meant to be a visual play with the words "The Whole Thing" being put into a wrap ... tomato and cucumber are just incidentals... so ending up with Wrap the Whole Thing up . I can hear you groaning from here - I know, it's awful ha ha.

I think the original may have worked better if we had been able to see the whole wrap so it was a little more obvious. The banana is a good start, the skin perhaps needs a little tidy but then people in glass houses, you ain't seen my feeble effort this week.

I think the original may have worked better if we had been able to see the whole wrap so it was a little more obvious. The banana is a good start, the skin perhaps needs a little tidy but then people in glass houses, you ain't seen my feeble effort this week.
Thanks Chris - you're right, should have the whole wrap on display... but probably meh even then. Definitely need more practice with the banana ... just pleased to have tried it out and see how it's done.

Just going for the tick in the box Dean. It's meant to be a visual play with the words "The Whole Thing" being put into a wrap ... tomato and cucumber are just incidentals... so ending up with Wrap the Whole Thing up . I can hear you groaning from here - I know, it's awful ha ha.
Ahhhhhhhh - hahaaa I see mate :)

Hmm - you lost me a bit with the first too. Did your lovely artistic assistant help with the colouring (I loved his minion!)? Great use of colours if so. The banana shot is really interesting - I think getting the slices completely flat would have made it a bit neater, but I can only imagine the faffing that this sort of shot takes to nail!

Hmm - you lost me a bit with the first too. Did your lovely artistic assistant help with the colouring (I loved his minion!)? Great use of colours if so. The banana shot is really interesting - I think getting the slices completely flat would have made it a bit neater, but I can only imagine the faffing that this sort of shot takes to nail!
Thanks Emma. Yes, had some help and we did have a little fun in the making.... I could take more of that. The blooming banana slices kept sliding together on the shiny skewer .. so a bit of a faff all round. Something new though.

Whole, colourful and healthy.Lost me as well ;) Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Yes, I should have shown more of the wrap I think but even then a bit Meh!

Hi Carl sorry I'm a little late!

Song - Great take on the theme I prefer the edit as the rad stands out more and they're is a little more detail in there.

Order - I really like this great image very artistic

Comfort - Love the lighting you've used lovely texture and details

Hairy - Love the first take and the B&W conversion the second take is also very good I like the fun element of it.

Smooth - I nice and simple image love the subtle colours of the stones against the stark white background.

Mineral - Love the detail in this such a simple and clean image.

Whole - Nice colourful image

Very nice mineral (water) image Carl, Interesting levitating banana too, well executed :)

Back