weekly Carl's 2019 52 Project - Week 17 - Light

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first time doing the 52 challenge. I've been shooting mostly film for the four or so years, but have recently bought a new digi camera (an X-T2), so this challenge should hopefully get me using it a bit more. I'm hoping to use both film and digital, but only a few will likely be film as it's quite tricky to use a whole roll of film and get it developed within a week (not to mention the cost of shooting 52 rolls of film lol).

I'm ready and eagerly awaiting the first theme :)

Last edited:
Welcome from another Fuji nut. X-T1, X-Pro2 and X100F :)

Looking forward to your stuff!

Welcome from another Fuji user XT1 & XT2.

Welcome from another X-T2 user! We have had people using film before and they faced the challenges that you mention above; the results were often worthwhile though.

Good luck with your 52 and have fun with it :)
Welcome from another Fuji nut. X-T1, X-Pro2 and X100F :)

Looking forward to your stuff!
Welcome from yet another Fuji nut, X-T3 and X100F. I think we should start to call it the Weekly Fuji 52 :D
Welcome from another Fuji user XT1 & XT2.

Thank you for the warm welcomes everyone :)

I love the strong contrast in this Carl, and the lead-lines formed by the strings. Great idea.

Quick off the mark, New is a good shot you got some good Dof in it and it goes very well in B&W. Good lighting and really like the texture in the wood.

Thanks Dave, I couldn't decide between B&W or colour but in the end I liked the look of the texture in the wood more in B&W.

I won't be this fast every week :D I'm off sick today (nothing serious, just a stomach bug) and I've watched just about as many YouTube videos this morning as I can handle. Had to get off the sofa and do something else!

That is quick off the mark Carl

Some good detail but the in focus area is quite small, where the body meets the sticky out bit looks odd to me.
The detail you have is nice and conversion to B&W also looks good.

Pete

Well done, theme and challenge completed in first image. I like the image in black and white. For me I would have liked the image in focus at the bottom more and tailing off more at the top of the image. I seem drawn to the OOF under the black circle. Sorry it probably has a name. I do like the image a lot though. Hope you get better soon.

Nice image Carl, especially the black & white conversion. I would like to have more of the Neck? of the ukulele in focus.

very nice start the DOF really pulls you into the middle of the picture with the grain :)

Very nice Carl. Crisp detail in the wood texture, and excellent B&W toning. I like the simplicity and symmetry.(y)
That is quick off the mark Carl

Some good detail but the in focus area is quite small, where the body meets the sticky out bit looks odd to me.
The detail you have is nice and conversion to B&W also looks good.

Pete
Well done, theme and challenge completed in first image. I like the image in black and white. For me I would have liked the image in focus at the bottom more and tailing off more at the top of the image. I seem drawn to the OOF under the black circle. Sorry it probably has a name. I do like the image a lot though. Hope you get better soon.
Nice image Carl, especially the black & white conversion. I would like to have more of the Neck? of the ukulele in focus.
Like the texture of the image Carl, a good start and good luck with the learning.

Walter.
very nice start the DOF really pulls you into the middle of the picture with the grain :)
Nice strong shot to start your challenge with. DOF spot on, and it suits B/W.

Thank you all, I really appreciate the responses :) Comments taken on board for next week!

I like the composition, but think maybe the top part is a little over exposed.

You've beaten @Dave70D to the first post Carl, well done :)
Nicely symmetrical, good use of DoF, on theme and on technique too :)

ETA: Oh, I hadn't noticed you were a fooj user too. (y)

Cheers Tim :)

I like the composition, but think maybe the top part is a little over exposed.

Thanks Rob, initially I was aiming for a high key image but thought it looked better when it had some more shadow contrast.

In the past I've put a lot of effort into landscapes and received a few likes and comments, but a quick photo of a ukulele ends up being Explored? I will never understand Flickr.

As others have said, great leading lines and texture to this image. Works so well in black and white.

Very nicely off the mark there Carl

Nicely done Carl :) maybe you can do us a George Formby shot if a theme fits at some point :)

Hi Carl

Congrats on being first off the mark.

I like it. Good texture and tone - I think if it was higher key you might have lost some of that. I'm only viewing on my phone so the DOF looks fine to me.

It's not quite symmetrical: the second string from right is near vertical. Upsets my OCD slightly [emoji2957]

A good start and good luck for the next 51 weeks!

Nick

Good start to the year I like the PoV and the texture does show up well in b/w

Welcome to the 52, you've made a good start.
I like the 4 strings that lead up through the photo and the symmetry. I wonder if a black background would have worked better, it would link in with the black circle (I'm sure it has a proper name) in the centre.

As others have said, great leading lines and texture to this image. Works so well in black and white.

Very nicely off the mark there Carl

Good start, Carl, and congrats on 'Explore'! I think B&W was the right choice to bring out the textures in the wood here (y)

Nicely composed shot, great in b&w.

Hi Carl, I do like that. The composition is great and the black and white conversion suits it very well.

Good start to the year I like the PoV and the texture does show up well in b/w

Hi Carl, smashing choice of angle it’s works perfectly, love the simplicity of the subject too, a perfect choice in b&w.

Nicely done Carl :) maybe you can do us a George Formby shot if a theme fits at some point :)

Thanks Dave, I had to Google George Formby as I'd not heard of him before, but taking a photo looking like that would be pretty cool!

Welcome to the 52, you've made a good start.
I like the 4 strings that lead up through the photo and the symmetry. I wonder if a black background would have worked better, it would link in with the black circle (I'm sure it has a proper name) in the centre.

Thank you Dominic, I hadn't considered a black background but it's a good idea that I'll try next time (wonder if there will be a ukulele theme?) I think it's called a "sound hole" but I'm not really sure myself :LOL:

Hi Carl

Congrats on being first off the mark.

I like it. Good texture and tone - I think if it was higher key you might have lost some of that. I'm only viewing on my phone so the DOF looks fine to me.

It's not quite symmetrical: the second string from right is near vertical. Upsets my OCD slightly [emoji2957]

A good start and good luck for the next 51 weeks!

Nick

Aww man, I hadn't realised the strings were off slightly, so it's going to annoy me now :LOL: I spent ages trying to line it up properly and thought I did a pretty good job haha. Thanks Nick

Liking that a lot Carl. The mono conversion works really well to bring out the grain in the wood. Nicely composed too. I too think a black background would be worth trying. Either that or if you use Lightroom or similar, add a graduated filter from the top down to take the edge off the light areas.

Nice image Carl, I think it works well in mono. Lovely texture on the wood at the bottom and fades away nicely at the top :)

Well done for getting the first shot of this years 52, and a very strong one at that. This is definitely one of my favourites for the theme. Love the B&W which really brings attention to the grain in the wood and love the DOF.

Liking that a lot Carl. The mono conversion works really well to bring out the grain in the wood. Nicely composed too. I too think a black background would be worth trying. Either that or if you use Lightroom or similar, add a graduated filter from the top down to take the edge off the light areas.
Nice image Carl, I think it works well in mono. Lovely texture on the wood at the bottom and fades away nicely at the top :)
Well done for getting the first shot of this years 52, and a very strong one at that. This is definitely one of my favourites for the theme. Love the B&W which really brings attention to the grain in the wood and love the DOF.

Thanks for the comments all :)

Back