Caspian stars and sunrise

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Early morning at a local beach just outside Baku. Early enough to catch the start of twilight (90 min before sunrise), or rather the end of "night" and catch a few stars and the milky way passing overhead. I wish we'd made it even earlier, I hadn't checked for it and would have liked to spend more time playing with star shots. But within 15 minutes or so of the first shot the horizon started to blow out and the stars fade away with the increasing light.

Sea of Stars by Alan, on Flickr

smoke trail by Alan, on Flickr

wave action by Alan, on Flickr

As we were packing up and leaving we spied some local fishermen further up the beach getting ready to go out so we stopped and spent a few minutes shooting them as they prepared and set off. They left at 0830 and apparently would be out until 4pm. Not tourists but local working fishermen.

early boat by Alan, on Flickr

fisherman by Alan, on Flickr

All quiet by Alan, on Flickr

Constructive C&C welcome.

Thanks

Alan

Delicious renditions Alan… fav #1 & 2! (y)

Great set Alan, 1 & 2 are the pick for me (y)

Wow. Great sunset, pity about the focus though....no tripod?:(

Nice set Alan, really like the composition of the second one.

Like the first one as well although I think it could stand to lose a hair more off the top although I konw the astro element is the focus of the image, just feels a bit too tall

Really like the first photo, but a nice set of photo's also [emoji106]

Nice set Alan, really like the composition of the second one.

Like the first one as well although I think it could stand to lose a hair more off the top although I konw the astro element is the focus of the image, just feels a bit too tall

Thanks Stuart, I know what you mean, I don't usually use the 6x4 crop as I find it too tall in portrait orientation, but in the end I didn't want to chop the stars, I may revisit. Cheers!

Wow. Great sunset, pity about the focus though....no tripod?:(

Thanks Daniel, can you clarify re focus, all were tripod taken, which one / ones look off.

1 is focussed on the stars at f2.8, so foreground will be a bit soft, it's a 20 second exposure. I admit I don't have the patience to focus twice on stars and foreground, don't have the patience to blend shots in photoshop and then refocus on the stars again afterwards. It's always a pain getting it right via live view but I did think it was ok.

2 & 3 are focussed on near foreground rocks rather than the hut I do admit, and looking at exif I see that I used f11 (not sure why with hindsight!) so maybe front to back sharpness isn't as good as it could be.

Back