Castle Howard #1

I like the processing on this.
But it looks like you have cut a piece off the rhs of the castle?

I like the processing on this.
But it looks like you have cut a piece off the rhs of the castle?

I saw this too - not ideal but if it hides a big bit of scaffolding or a ton of people getting in the way that's what to do.

I alas really do not like the processing but I can live with the composition quite happily. It's devoid of benches, signs, people etc and that's a big big win in my book.

Visited here last October.
One of the most spectacular houses I've been to.
Was there a reason you've omitted the RHS of the house?
The processing doesn't appeal to me. The sky looks good, everything else looks oversharp.

Like Ruth said, the sky looks good, but *for me* the processing doesn't favour the subject with a somewhat digital look instead of smoother, more continuous tones. From the fountain shot there appears to be nothing wrong with the RHS of the building, so I wonder why you left it off?

OK, composition is the big thing so let's start there. The hedge is cutting the viewer off here from the palace so that's a non starter. You ideally want a lead in or at least open lawn. Full building would be desirable, and if crop it should seem intentional. These structures are very symmetric so frequently they look best right from the middle looking straight ahead.

Secondly the processing brings out lots of micro-contrast which is good, but there is a lack of overall contrast; nothing "appears" really black for example. Sunny conditions would have helped.

Back