Castle Under Repair

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

This is a picture of Carrick Castle which sits on the shores of Loch Goil.

The pier used to be great for fishing from. The legendary Waverley (last sea going paddle steamer in the world), used to stop here.

I spent most of my childhood holidays camping here every year in August (1st 2 weeks) during the school summer holidays.

Enjoy,
Dougie.
Castle_Under_Repair.jpg

On my monitor there is a sort of halo around the castle, a bit like the adjustment brush has been used on the castle and has overrun the edges

On my monitor there is a sort of halo around the castle, a bit like the adjustment brush has been used on the castle and has overrun the edges

That's strange, this image has only been cropped, slight dehaze in lightroom and converted to mono using Nik Silver Efex.

Dougie.

That'll do it. Silver Efex is great but quite destructive. If you add a lot of structure using it you can get these halo's and odd artifacts. It's a subtle halo - once it is pointed out you cannot un see it and it is most visible near the scaffolding

This is the raw image, reset to defaults in lightroom then exported.Castle_Under_Repair_Orig.jpg

It's a real shame about the scaffolding but I suppose it's for the greater good if it is for preservation. This shot has a lot of potential when the scaffolding comes down.

I noticed the halo on the roof and as mentioned, Nik can be really bad for it, it's bad with the 'High Structure' presets and I always back the structure off if I ever use Nik for mono conversions.

It was a misty day, that's the raw image - no edits at all.
Yeah looks as though it is part of the scene. I really like the b&w conversion and I also think the scaffolding looks good too, though worth a revisit whenever it comes down again.

Back