Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
1. Dunnottar Castle, January 2nd 2019
Dunnottar Stars.jpg

First Image of 2019,
Dunnottar Castle, January 2nd.

Almost a clear sky, getting closer, but I guess that's the downside of living on the coast the weather apps will most likely get it wrong! To the right of the Castle is the star Sirius and to the top is Procyon and the star to the left of Orion is Betelgeuse, these 3 stars make up the Winter Triangle. You can also see Orion's belt to the top-right of Sirius. I believe the two stars top left of Procyon are Castor and Pollux. This was taken using the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 lens.

Orion! Orion! Orion! Oh, my favourite!!

Any chance you have a photo with all of Orion in the background??

This is really great, I have to admit, when I saw the title, I didn't expect a castle by the sea, I thought maybe an inland castle, which have surprised me. I figure maybe you took a photo with a castle tower filling up the frame and a few stars in the background, I didn't expect a wide photo with so many stars and specially with Orion in background.

That's a nice surprise.

By the way, why is this castle looking familiar? I don't know anything about Dunnottar Castle, just why do it look familiar? Have I seen it before? Is it one of those castles used in the old 1980s movie Excalibur? Unless it just happens to look similar?

Orion! Orion! Orion! Oh, my favourite!!

Any chance you have a photo with all of Orion in the background??

This is really great, I have to admit, when I saw the title, I didn't expect a castle by the sea, I thought maybe an inland castle, which have surprised me. I figure maybe you took a photo with a castle tower filling up the frame and a few stars in the background, I didn't expect a wide photo with so many stars and specially with Orion in background.

That's a nice surprise.

By the way, why is this castle looking familiar? I don't know anything about Dunnottar Castle, just why do it look familiar? Have I seen it before? Is it one of those castles used in the old 1980s movie Excalibur? Unless it just happens to look similar?

Thanks for the comment, I do have another of this castle from the side called Sirius and Orion. I'll post it when I get a moment. Dunnottar Castle is a pretty famous castle here in Scotland for being incredibly photogenic. It's been featured quite a lot over the years too. I recently purchased a Omegon Mini tracking so hoping to get a shot of the Milkyway over the castle in the next couple of months before its no longer visible above the castle.

Excellent work (y)

Nice, would love to see the milky way shot if you can get it.

Thanks, yeah I plan too this month (crosses fingers).

Back