Castlerigg Stone Circle - Cumbria

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
Forget Stonehenge, whilst the stones are impressive, it's got nothing on Castlerigg - which is free - and is surrounded on all sides by some impressive hills/mountains....

castlerigg-stone-circle-3967.jpg

castlerigg-stone-circle-3931.jpg

castlerigg-stone-circle-3941.jpg

Forget Stonehenge - yep, with you there. There are some lovely 'wild country' stone circles, rows and menhirs on Dartmoor. I'm only viewing on my crap laptop screen but the first is really doing it for me. Love the shadow along the hills isolating the stones in the light. I've spent what's seemed like hours standing waiting for the light to fall just right like that.
Edit: I'm now looking on a decent monitor and I still like #1

Last edited:
Nice set of images Geoff. Interestingly your choice of composition matches my images of this location almost down to feet marks of my tripod. The only difference is I was shooting at 3am under full moonlight. Such a splendid location at anytime of day.

I've been to Castlerigg a few times but it has always been busy. I think these are some of the best shots of it I've seen, the mono works well.

I don'r normally like b/w landscapes but these are good. Nicely processed.
Well done for getting (nearly) all the stones in and avoiding those pesky tourists.

Love the first especially.
Lovely sense of space.

I've spent what's seemed like hours standing waiting for the light to fall just right like that.

Thanks Jan, I was lucky with the clouds that day as the 2 previous visits I ended up with flat grey skies.

Love the first - nice wide open

Thanks Steve

Nice set of images Geoff.

Thanks Geoff

I've been to Castlerigg a few times but it has always been busy.

Thanks Chris, yes it was busy this day as well, so it was a case of a lot of waiting around for each group of tourists to depart.

Well done for getting (nearly) all the stones in and avoiding those pesky tourists.

Thanks Peter, I really wanted all the stones in view, but that was the best opportunity in the 4 hours I was there.

Thanks Roger and viv.

As others have said on here, you have done well to get some shots without 20 people in the background. Last time I went, admittedly it was the middle of the day, any photos would have required some serious editing to mask various people in the shot. Ive heard even at first light youre likely to not be alone.

On a personal taste note I am not sure if there is too much contrast in the sky for me. Kind of think theres so much going on in the sky it takes away from the main subject - the hills and stones. Obviously only my personal preference though.

Ben

Back