Cat Appreciation Society! - lets see those catz!

I just realised I've not yet posted a picture of our ALLIE CAT here. It's only a phone pic and a lot of the highlights are blown, but I hope you'll agree that that doesn't really matter.

full

Is she deaf? Good looking queen!

Is she deaf? Good looking queen!
No, she isn't. At least not totally deaf. She can hear the rustle of a packet of cat treats from an absurdly long range, even when she seems to be asleep.

I've read up about hereditary deafness in white cats - it won't surprise you that you're not the first person to ask about that. Apparently it is a major concern in white cats, and even more so if one or both irises are blue in color. Researchers have found that 17 to 22 percent of white cats with non-blue eyes are born deaf. The percentage rises to 40 percent if the cat has one blue eye, while upwards of 65 to 85 percent of all-white cats with both eyes blue are deaf. Some of these cats are deaf in only one ear. Interestingly, if a white cat with one blue eye is deaf in only one ear, that ear will invariably be on the same side of the head as the blue eye.

My grandparents had a white cat with both eyes blue. Stone deaf but still managed to catch plenty of mice and birds! Probably helped that they lived in a farmhouse at the time.

No, she isn't. At least not totally deaf. She can hear the rustle of a packet of cat treats from an absurdly long range, even when she seems to be asleep.

I've read up about hereditary deafness in white cats - it won't surprise you that you're not the first person to ask about that. Apparently it is a major concern in white cats, and even more so if one or both irises are blue in color. Researchers have found that 17 to 22 percent of white cats with non-blue eyes are born deaf. The percentage rises to 40 percent if the cat has one blue eye, while upwards of 65 to 85 percent of all-white cats with both eyes blue are deaf. Some of these cats are deaf in only one ear. Interestingly, if a white cat with one blue eye is deaf in only one ear, that ear will invariably be on the same side of the head as the blue eye.
I read that white cats are often deaf because of foetal development process, namely they get their colouring just before they get their hearing, so if they are white they have stopped developing and consequently often deaf.

We don't have a cat, but this friendly little thing has been calling round a lot recently.

1dn8DZZsP83wTj3rHxUGV4tPxgC0W0id0tqhJkBnlwlx-yeW5uC5iR40q9PYInIehdyDOhFg2pbqYmvzM4KuahcM-WiDVdSTIqnmerItwAl4iKeY_Qm2TrCAJU9HmvhDHuS4-499BcIqKbI-1X3xuL1m77PUi33ZGKBezUhjWrwp4L0bj1wpTMT_hbWW8h5v0wSfWCjrBxugHQFeQHXjbjyg53II9LqcJzisxhQO817ybdy6cMOorLBSj61t-YfVCRn8Gq-lLmMLsQnqtLD8y6otCq9xSG0hYWspF1o6PzdrGYQShecIOVxN_-6shhJYgFvQF5UjmFIm9CqWh33FReCNhPX3SYeMlZvaDyUDMxvIj1LeMMhP8-5KZ98g26vEmS8XIBoPM3PZpQuSmh88m1ByyrAhqP7uMHXeC8OLklMC2Nim9zq_tRSbRxM4wKvdM66GeCUcevudWx52YWZZt7hMySmll9LZS4QiJLefmqZoHXbmzyaj3XiD0Bycl9oO7DxjM3Fo_JO2BXJFfSmBBcTwvr1uw2XxE3UwGRhwei92LfpqK3iWhCQi8arckLOkqdgkmMGC1t54DrYgEHtpbnD51gXsU-0tMVFXFR6WZgRayUFynf01U2vbF31Az5EZB72Iy9zqDFXup_gbvxMuQtF628XBqjkb=w688-h590-no
If lucky you may get adopted :)

Hi,
What platform do I need to use to upload photo since photobucket is no more ! ?

EASIEST way is to use the Attach files button to drop a suitably resized image directly into a post. Or use the gallery space available to all members. Not sure how big you can go with either but it's big enough for screen viewing!

EASIEST way is to use the Attach files button to drop a suitably resized image directly into a post. Or use the gallery space available to all members. Not sure how big you can go with either but it's big enough for screen viewing!

Hi,
Thanks for the info I will look I to resizing the images.
I have to ask, what is the best software to use to quickly resize ?
Many thanks
T

I like that 2nd shot, the black and white really seems to work.

Got so many of her in colour I like to do the odd B&W. We had 2 Moggies, sadly the older one Scrappy passed in January after 9 year with us. She had gotten a bit cranky in the months before but she did beat the Vet's predictions twice over 5 year! [Cat Leukemia, he gave her 3 months to live, twice in that time]

Catitude #2 by K G, on Flickr

Another of our 15 year old kitten...

9951430021.jpg

Fooled ya?

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130761.JPG

Back