Cat fight

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
cat 1.JPG

I know some of you will not like Cats, and would probably like to throw an old boot at a cat, but some of us do like cats. We don't really like our cat staying out over night, but sometimes you just can't get him in. He came in this morning looking very subdued, and not his normal happy mood. Having a close look, and it looks like he has had a fight, he has a little cut under his chin, and his fur is a little tatty. So it looks like he has been rolling around having a scuffle.

cat 2.JPG

Can't see any other marks on him, so all seems ok. Been fed and now he is fast asleep. Will have another look at him, when he wakes up. :)

My last cat's philosophy in life was, if it moves, fight it. It if it doesn't move, fight it.

He would sometimes meet his match. A day or so of sulking and then he'd be fine.

My last cat's philosophy in life was, if it moves, fight it. It if it doesn't move, fight it.

He would sometimes meet his match. A day or so of sulking and then he'd be fine.

We have watched our cat interact with other cats that live in the area, he tends to steer clear of them. They come to him, and he tends to brace himself, ready for a spat. We have never seem him attack other cats, but we have seen other cats take a swipe at ours.

Toms fight. We used to be servants to a relatively small ginger tom who would pick a fight with any other cat provided it was bigger than him. His particular target of choice was a white and black long haired tom that must have weighed nearly twice as much. He twice bashed his nose on the patio door glass in his haste to attack his best enemy.

:tumbleweed:

cat 3.JPG

He seems his normal self now, and he is grooming himself. He had the snip when he was a kitten, so he has never shown any interest in other cats. He is getting on now, he is thirteen. Although he is getting on now, he still loves playing with a ball of string.

My male cat hates one other cat in our area, always wants to chase it off, but he wants to love our other cat so much it hurts, she wants nothing to do with him, she's so mean.
He tried to get up on the footstall last night with her, she stood it for 2 minutes then got off and slept in the kitchen. Our male has the sweetest nature normally but the other tabby drives him nuts.

My male cat hates one other cat in our area, always wants to chase it off, but he wants to love our other cat so much it hurts, she wants nothing to do with him, she's so mean.
He tried to get up on the footstall last night with her, she stood it for 2 minutes then got off and slept in the kitchen. Our male has the sweetest nature normally but the other tabby drives him nuts.

I have got a feeling I know which cat is causing the trouble, a big black one that lives nearby.

View media item 13384
This one above is not ours, but he walks into ours and sits down anywhere he likes. Our cat just ignores him.

The missus says she would like to put a tracker, or a camera on our cat. She says she would love to know just what he gets up to. I said it could be awkward with a camera, as we don't know if he goes into other peoples houses.

Did anyone view this thread in the hopes of seeing two women fighting? :eek:

Did anyone view this thread in the hopes of seeing two women fighting? :eek:
I've only ever seen that once in reality and they were so jaw droppingly vicious that I forgot the camera in my pocket. Probably a good job too: they might have joined forces and gone for me! :wideyed:

The missus says she would like to put a tracker, or a camera on our cat. She says she would love to know just what he gets up to. I said it could be awkward with a camera, as we don't know if he goes into other peoples houses.

There was a television documentary that explored the movements of cats, and their territories, in a village some years ago. The animals were tracked and fitted with miniature video cameras as you describe. It was fascinating. Some of them went quite a long way during the day, up into the woods and fields, some stayed closer to home and a few visited their 'other homes' for second breakfast and a snooze! One point that emerged very clearly was how they tried to avoid conflicts with other cats by scent marking, like their large relatives, and choosing their times and routes,

There was a television documentary that explored the movements of cats, and their territories, in a village some years ago. The animals were tracked and fitted with miniature video cameras as you describe. It was fascinating. Some of them went quite a long way during the day, up into the woods and fields, some stayed closer to home and a few visited their 'other homes' for second breakfast and a snooze! One point that emerged very clearly was how they tried to avoid conflicts with other cats by scent marking, like their large relatives, and choosing their times and routes,

I too think it would be interesting to see what ours gets up to, if I saw just half of what happens, I would probably stop him going out. I have a feeling I might spot some cruelty going on also. I know at least one neighbour does dislike cats, by the things he says.

we don't know if he goes into other peoples houses.

Mum and Dad had our (sorely missed) cat before we took her on after they died. They were visiting a neighbour for a cuppa one day when in through the neighbour's cat-flap came Maisie!

Cats are very territorial and most fights occur over territory. I remember the programme that Martyn (above) refers to. One conclusion was that although they will lay claim to a particular territory, their dislike of confrontation is such that they will reach a compromise and 'share' a territory, ie only going out at times when the other cats not there.

Cats are very territorial and most fights occur over territory. I remember the programme that Martyn (above) refers to. One conclusion was that although they will lay claim to a particular territory, their dislike of confrontation is such that they will reach a compromise and 'share' a territory, ie only going out at times when the other cats not there.

I do remember now, last year our cat was attacked by a big cat from a few doors up. What annoyed me, this was in our front garden, so the other cat had invaded our cat's space. I don't normally swear that early in the morning, but the air was blue at 5am in the morning.

He seems a little better now, he has had something to eat, and taken himself off to bed. :)

If you want to see loads of moggies coming home paws de combat, get a new neighbour to move in with two cats.
That tears up all the territorial non-aggression agreements the natives had worked out, and the re-negotiations can get quite heated.

He seems a little better now, he has had something to eat, and taken himself off to bed. :)
One of our cats a long while back came in covered in blood, she was such a sweetie we thought it must be hers and she wouldn't let us near her to inspect the damage, by morning all signs of damage had gone, no idea if it was hers or belonged to another cat, she soon recovered, they are tough things moggies.

If you want to see loads of moggies coming home paws de combat, get a new neighbour to move in with two cats.
That tears up all the territorial non-aggression agreements the natives had worked out, and the re-negotiations can get quite heated.

Doesn't take long for the new status quo to become established, after which any squawking tends to be handbags rather than WWIII.

Exactly. Cats are solitary predators and will stake out their own territories in a natural environment. There will be inevitable challenges, but we exacerbate the problem of confrontations because the population density is much higher in an urban area because they're popular pets.

We used to have several cats at the same time. They seemed to get along with each other tolerably well when they had to, but it wasn't by choice, and they all had preferred areas (territories) to sleep, eat and so on. They adapt if necessary, but it can still cause stresses and occasional spats.

The cats around here don't care whether the other cat they attack is male of female. They also try to roll the loser in faeces. :puke:

Benny loves a scrap.
IMG_20170612_202056.jpg

Despite your initial reservation..”some could throw a old boot at a cat but some do like them” you’ve had a very good response and it’s clear there’s a lot of affection for cats on here. At one time we had 4. One from a rescue shelter, another very small young kitten from the vets where we took our retriever..they asked my wife if we would take one.They’re mom had been killed on the road and the 4 kittens were found in a hedge. One of the Practice nurses had them at home ..night feeding..until they were big enough to be re-homed. We then went to a village in Menorca for a holiday ..Binibeca ....and collected the kitten when we returned and called it.....Bini.. Our other two ....one looks like Viv’s Benny..turned up on the doorstep and booked themselves in,one was about 2 and. lived to 24. The other one the same age lived to 18. We advertised them and people came to see if they were their lost cats but no owner so they settled in.

Some nights I put the patio security light on in the early hours hoping that the two belonging to nearby neighbours and who are growling at each other.the cats not the neighbours will bugger off and let us get back to sleep..lol

That was a fascinating programme.

I love the phrase..Cats have staff not owners..lol

Back