catclick's 52 week challenge 2021 - Done & Dusted

That's an interesting old building, nicely captured

Two categories in one, are you trying to make the 52 into a 26!? Interesting architecture, some people had more money than sense I think.

A fabulous building very opulent for its time I am sure. Great choice and matches your fruit theme too.

I like the composition and background, and what a great idea! Is it a curved paper background?

It was taken with a plain white curved background (one of those fold up boxes with the LED lights), then added a patterned craft paper as a texture layer, with the opacity reduced and a mask to remove the texture from the shoes. First time I’ve tried adding a texture, was pleased with the result. Might revisit some older images and add textures, it does make a big difference to the end result.

Nice shoooooz pic :)

It was taken with a plain white curved background (one of those fold up boxes with the LED lights), then added a patterned craft paper as a texture layer, with the opacity reduced and a mask to remove the texture from the shoes. First time I’ve tried adding a texture, was pleased with the result. Might revisit some older images and add textures, it does make a big difference to the end result.
Thanks for explaining. Yes it worked nicely!

Lovely work Catherine. I find that very peaceful and relaxing to look at. (y)

I was disappointed not to see a horn with the high heels... Except of course that is not needed! Great photo - and interesting add of the texture. I might have to try that...

Your light painting/filled frame is a cracker - that's a really nice example of these pictures.

That light painting is beautiful, Catherine!

Mesmerising to look at. I used to do Spirograph as a kid, but always made a bit of a mess where a cog slipped, or the pen made a blub. I would love to see more of it, but quite understand the Fill the Frame aspect prevents that. It must look good on the full screen.

Can you tell us more about making it? I feel there must have been more to it than just hanging a torch on a string?

Hi Catherine,

Tall - Nicely minimalist. Interesting to read the technique you used. I've heard of it (think I've seen it used in tutorials) but it's not something I've ever tried. Quite effective isn't it !
Snappers - Lovely painting there. Perfectly symmetrical. X-Men logo in the centre ;) and bang on for the tech too (y)

That light painting is beautiful, Catherine!

Mesmerising to look at. I used to do Spirograph as a kid, but always made a bit of a mess where a cog slipped, or the pen made a blub. I would love to see more of it, but quite understand the Fill the Frame aspect prevents that. It must look good on the full screen.

Can you tell us more about making it? I feel there must have been more to it than just hanging a torch on a string?
It really was just a torch on a string and this is the full image - 70mm. Camera on the floor, looking straight up and the torch on a string from the ceiling light. I added a 10stop nd filter so it wasn't blown out and I could get a longer exposure (about 1 and a half minutes). Unfortunately, I could get it to fill the frame, the original is below. So I took it into photoshop, duplicated the background layer, flipped the top layer and blended the 2 together.
2021-02-05 026.jpg

Last edited:
The shoes are nicely presented, except they look decidedly .... used. :exit:

The light paintings are incredible!

The shoes are nicely presented, except they look decidedly .... used. :exit:

The light paintings are incredible!

Ha ha! They are quite old. The only heels I have that would fit the theme. More in flats and walking shoes now. The light painting was new for me, it was fun to do.

Tall
Good idea and very well executed.

Snappers choice
It's like a spiragraph drawing. Very nicely done and imaginative.

Was slightly confused seeing your submission when I knew what you had created, but ticking off the technique too is always good, and something I still need to manage with less time left!!

The Multiple pair of parred pears shot.

Somebody had to do it, and you made it work very well.

Pete

A nice pair of pared pears! I like the composition and background. Well thought out.

Just spotted your light painting - week 5 - can't remember was it snapper's choice? Very nicely done. I had a go at this some years ago and I think you have done really well to keep it going for so long! It's made a good pattern.

Last edited:
A nice pair of pared pears! I like the composition and background. Well thought out.

Just spotted your light painting - week 5 - can't remember was it snapper's choice? Very nicely done. I had a go at this some years ago and I think you have done really well to keep it going for so long! It's made a good pattern.

Thanks. I added a 10 stop nd filter to get a longer exposure and to stop it being blown out.

Truly excellent!

It did cross my mind to visit Richmond Park to capture toggers out hunting.

Back