Caterpillar.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to get out to one of my favourite spots this evening in search of damsels and dragons. There were some damsels about and for the first time in 2 years, I saw not just 1 but 7 dragonflies.

They were all too skittish though as it was warm so it was a return to slower moving quarry. I found this little caterpillar, I'm not sure what it will be become but if it's as colourful, it will be gorgeous.

Bug. by Dale, on Flickr

Lovely shot and lovely comp, That is a really nice cat and like you I have no idea what it will become.
Only crit is the rhs is a tad bright, other than that, keep posting great shots like this.

Thank you Graham.

I agree about the right hand side. I am sometimes forced to do this as I have a 7D which sometimes needs to be exposed to the right as it doesn't deal with shadows or blues/greens. It's a new way I'm trying of doing things in an attempt to control noise as my 7D seems to be particularly bad.

I'm hoping to soon go FF.

Nice to see one of these, Drinker moth larvae. Used to find and rear these when I was a kid and see the moths emerge from pupae and then release them. The larvae when fully grown are a substantial caterpillar and the hairs can really irritate when they get into human skin.

Great find.

Regards

Tim

Nice shots Dale
Tim thanks for confirming the ID I had

Thanks for the comments and special thank you to Tim for the ID. I had it down as a tortioseshell but really had no idea.

Nice image. Great detail when seen large over at Flickr.

On the first image, you could apply a radial filter to lower the exposure to one side slightly and balance it a little.

(In Lightroom speak) A graduated filter I think? I think that is a good suggestion, so I tried it. It turns out that there may be a bit of a problem - it seems that the colours on the stalk to the right of the subject have been bleached somewhat so when you bring down the highlights and/or exposure rather than coming up green that area takes on somewhat of a grey aspect.

Along the same lines you could use a radial filter on the second one, bringing down the highlights and perhaps exposure too a bit, or just paint some of that locally with the Adjustment brush on the bright white areas on either side of the subject.

It turns out that there may be a bit of a problem - it seems that the colours on the stalk to the right of the subject have been bleached somewhat so when you bring down the highlights and/or exposure rather than coming up green that area takes on somewhat of a grey aspect.
It's possible that this can be saved in the RAW file.

Back