Caution on the street

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
So we got back from Israel about 10 days ago with 2500 pictures between 2 of us. I culled that down to about 1000 and have done basic processing on all of those, and I'm now sorting through the general mess to find the gems. There are several themes that seem to have come through, not least being the human cost of living out there in present conditions.

This first image was taken in the new town of Jericho. It's a sprawling concrete accretion that fills the valley close to where the famous city was. We stopped there for lunch and 2 boys appeared by the restaurant door, the bigger one carrying a sheep and asking for a dollar to be photographed. After we'd eaten the younger one was still around, but nervous about our being there, and wanted to see what was going on without putting himself out there in danger.

Doorways-0995 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

This second shot was taken in Jerusalem. I'd noticed that mothers were often quite protective of their sons when western tourists were around, and this boy's mother saw us in the distance and quickly grabbed him & got him into the house. While I could have zoomed in tight, I wanted this to be more situational to give a feel for surroundings.

Doorways-2415 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

that is good shooting...in a peaceful way..i can see you were seen as a threat..difficult times
there was a gang of thieves in jerusalem who sat around on the via dolorosa and just easily mugged the tourists in the guise of card sellers
the police shook their heads a people queued up to say they had been robbed...i think some of them sat in the cafes and watched for dropped wallets or left behind items...the owners would profess ignorance if approached about leaving something behind in the cafe...i suspect the items went out the back door to the waiting gang members
this is a city where you cant take any chances with anything...wrap up tight and lock away... eyes open and keep tight
every taxi driver has a brother with a gift shop..just round the corrner..

Last edited:
Back