Cavendish Cottages

Excellent. Can't fault it. Lovely Idilic image

Thanks Steve, it is one I sussed out earlier in the year. You need to hit it right because there is a large tree between the house and the setting sun.

I will go back, but I'm thinking mid winter snow and lights/fires on inside cottages sunset/blue hour time of day!

beautifully exposed and composed
a bit of darkness in the bottom third could be cropped out to boost the subjects interest
cheers
geof

Thanks for the suggestion Geoff. I really welcome all criticism and alternative ideas so please don't take what I am about to say the wrong way. The reason this shot was my favourite was purely down to the spotlighting of the cottages, the light in itself boosts the subjects interest, I included the dark bit to appreciate the light bit.

For me the crop loses a bit of balance, the pink cottages are too far towards the bottom left and don't have much to stand on to balance out the boring expanse of sky (which has to be included due to the mast thing on the church tower unfortunately). Your crop did get me thinking though so I have edited a shot from a few minutes before where there is more light on the foreground anyway and I was in closer so the pink cottages take centre stage;

Cavendish Cottages by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Thanks for the suggestion Geoff. I really welcome all criticism and alternative ideas so please don't take what I am about to say the wrong way. The reason this shot was my favourite was purely down to the spotlighting of the cottages, the light in itself boosts the subjects interest, I included the dark bit to appreciate the light bit.

For me the crop loses a bit of balance, the pink cottages are too far towards the bottom left and don't have much to stand on to balance out the boring expanse of sky (which has to be included due to the mast thing on the church tower unfortunately). Your crop did get me thinking though so I have edited a shot from a few minutes before where there is more light on the foreground anyway and I was in closer so the pink cottages take centre stage;

Cavendish Cottages by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

agreed..:agree:

you are the man...i guess i thought it in my terms and not yours
apologies...the foreground with lighting is a lot better

cheers
geof

Last edited:
Back