Cemeteries - An Open Thread

Johannisfriedhof Cemetery , Nuremberg (Nürnberg)

I'm sorry about my shadow, but I was just about to be locked in and was in a rush.

1D4_2498.jpg

Somewhere in Norfolk...

i-X9JF3KV-XL.jpg

Hi, Hauptfriedhof in Bochum/D. - The ashes of the anonymously buried are scattered around the steel monument ... --- :

L1023367_DxO-L28a-28-c.jpg

Hi, Hauptfriedhof Mainz/D - another neglected Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) grave... --- :

L1000921_DxO-z35d-c.jpg

Hi, Hauptfriedhof Mainz/D - another Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) grave... --- :

L1000922_DxO-z35d-c.jpg

Hi, Hauptfriedhof Mainz/D :

L1000923_DxO-z3d-c.jpg

A closer look at the mourning person:

L1000923_DxO-z35d-cc.jpg

I like a Churchyard or graveyard as much as the next man however a long time ago when I was a teenager I was at Brookwood Cemetery and I took a few pictures in the American Military graveyard there. Obviously I was just a kid and not a newspaper reporter or anything but a very polite American serviceman came up to me and said "feel free to take photographs but if you take close ups of the grave stones could I ask you to take them from the back where there are no names as we don't know where the photographs are going to be used. We don't want the family of a serviceman seeing their gravestone in a magazine spread or something as it might upset them", Since then I have been very careful not to photography headstones where immediate relatives might reasonably still be around and I feel this is a good rule of thumb in such settings.

Of course this is just a personal way of thinking, you may disagree of course but I just thought I'd share my experience with you.

I like a Churchyard or graveyard as much as the next man however a long time ago when I was a teenager I was at Brookwood Cemetery and I took a few pictures in the American Military graveyard there. Obviously I was just a kid and not a newspaper reporter or anything but a very polite American serviceman came up to me and said "feel free to take photographs but if you take close ups of the grave stones could I ask you to take them from the back where there are no names as we don't know where the photographs are going to be used. We don't want the family of a serviceman seeing their gravestone in a magazine spread or something as it might upset them", Since then I have been very careful not to photography headstones where immediate relatives might reasonably still be around and I feel this is a good rule of thumb in such settings.

Of course this is just a personal way of thinking, you may disagree of course but I just thought I'd share my experience with you.

Thank you, for sharing your thoughts.

Referring to your example, one considered the feelings of the surviving relatives. - I find soldier's graves generally difficult. One country's hero is/was another country's enemy ... ---

And not all wars were fought for just causes, when thinking of colonial wars, or wars of aggression ...

Normal, civilian graves one can show, I think. When they are impressive works of art, they are meant to be seen, and the families won't mind when their dead are remembered.
(At least, this would be my reaction, if my parents' modest grave were shown somewhere in a publication, perhaps as typical 70s grave- )

I would not show the graves of convicts at a prison cemetery (not wanting to shame the family), unless they died for a noble cause seen as a crime at the time, which can apply to resistance fighters for instance.

And I have taken pics of graves, I have decided not to show in this thread.

Back