Chaffinch IF.

Hi Dale

I see that you use the 5D4,. catching the BiF at best of times needs good AF acquisition to go with good cameracraft.

I have been considering the 5D4 for ages to replace my 5D3 for the wildlife photography.........so how have you found it overall for the wildlife and especially BiF work ???

Hi Dale

I see that you use the 5D4,. catching the BiF at best of times needs good AF acquisition to go with good cameracraft.

I have been considering the 5D4 for ages to replace my 5D3 for the wildlife photography.........so how have you found it overall for the wildlife and especially BiF work ???

I love my 5Div, it's the best thing I've done for my photography. I suppose though, jumping from a very noisy copy of a 7D, it was always going to be an improvement but it is night and day. I almost went down the Fuji route, (still have my X-T10) but I'm so glad I didn't.

Must admit though, for this shot, I wasn't panning or anything like that, I was focused just beyond the feeder and waited for them to come in and do that fluttery thing. I was hoping for a goldfinch doing the same, maybe next time.

I love my 5Div, it's the best thing I've done for my photography. I suppose though, jumping from a very noisy copy of a 7D, it was always going to be an improvement but it is night and day. I almost went down the Fuji route, (still have my X-T10) but I'm so glad I didn't.

Must admit though, for this shot, I wasn't panning or anything like that, I was focused just beyond the feeder and waited for them to come in and do that fluttery thing. I was hoping for a goldfinch doing the same, maybe next time.

Thanks for the insight.

I was using a 7D and bought my 5D3 to replace it and as far as file cleanness goes as you say like night & day. Though the improved AF was also marked, everything I have read of the MK4 over the MK3 suggests I will see benefits in that department.

Thanks for the insight.

I was using a 7D and bought my 5D3 to replace it and as far as file cleanness goes as you say like night & day. Though the improved AF was also marked, everything I have read of the MK4 over the MK3 suggests I will see benefits in that department.

I'm sure you will see improvements, maybe not as much as I did going from crop to FF but yeah, it will be better.

I did have trouble tracking in flight sand martins last weekend, I got no keepers, but I was asking a lot of the 5Div I suppose against rippling water and my method probably wasn't the best, I'm still working on that.

I'm sure you will see improvements, maybe not as much as I did going from crop to FF but yeah, it will be better.

I did have trouble tracking in flight sand martins last weekend, I got no keepers, but I was asking a lot of the 5Div I suppose against rippling water and my method probably wasn't the best, I'm still working on that.

For BiF I use AIServo with Case2 ~ I am looking at trying slight variations on the Case2 settings to see if I can improve the keeper rate, time will tell ;)

But for sure the 5D4 is still on my wishlist :)

Last edited:
For BiF I use AIServo with Case2 ~ I am looking at trying slight variations on the Case2 settings to see if I can improve the keeper rate, time will tell ;)

But for sure the 5D4 is still on my wishlist :)

I'm not sure how many 'cases' you get for tracking on the Mkiii but it's 5 on the iv. I dabbled with them on the weekend but to be honest, that's a learning curve now too. Everyday is a school day.

Back