Chalk Hill Blue

Cracking set Bryn (y)

That first is a real cracker Bryn

Nice male and female Chalk hill Blues here Bryn.

There are many "ways" to tell the difference between Chalk hill Blues and Common Blues, but the most simple way is - The Common Blue has a plain fringe (around the wings)...the Chalk hill Blue (like the Adonis Blue) has a chequered fringe around the wings.

Examples.
Male Common Blue. Look at the plain white wing fringes (no black lines to fringes).

Common Blue Butterfly (male) 2nd brood. (uncropped). 6th July 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Male Chalk hill Blue. Look at the chequered wing fringes (black lines to fringes).

Chalk hill Blue Butterfly (male) uncropped. 13th July 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

nice shots, but looks like common blue to me.
Lovely set Bryn, I too think its a common blue :)

Thanks guys but most definitely a chalk hill... :D

Les
Nice male and female Chalk hill Blues here Bryn.

There are many "ways" to tell the difference between Chalk hill Blues and Common Blues, but the most simple way is - The Common Blue has a plain fringe (around the wings)...the Chalk hill Blue (like the Adonis Blue) has a chequered fringe around the wings.

Examples.
Male Common Blue. Look at the plain white wing fringes (no black lines to fringes).

Common Blue Butterfly (male) 2nd brood. (uncropped). 6th July 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Male Chalk hill Blue. Look at the chequered wing fringes (black lines to fringes).

Chalk hill Blue Butterfly (male) uncropped. 13th July 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Thanks great examples, I am sure it was chalk hill as there were no commons present. :D

Back