Chameleon

When asked "how much to salt food?", a chef answered:
"If you like the soup and don't miss salt, it is perfect but
if one can taste the salt… it's already too much!

The tilt here is like salt; a bit creates interest but too much
may become quite disturbing.

An other point is the the subject contains enough informa-
tion to be very entertaining… so the BG doesn't need any.

TE="TLR-330, post: 8015820, member: 81627"]Yup :) but the shoulder is out of focus but I thought the tattoo is very much part of the picture.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Charles for your reply and observations. I guess for some the tattoo is something they'd like to be in focus, and had the shoulder been further forward it could have been, or if i had used a smaller aperture. Personally it wasn't a priority while capturing a range of expressions in low light conditions shooting handheld and prioritising focus, exposure and perspective over pretty much all else. It's a valid point and something I will bear in mind, although I do have a number of shots where the ink in question is sharp. Shooting handheld with an 85mm lens in da house using available light and maximising productivity in terms of shots I am reasonably happy with is always a balancing act. Am I ever completely happy with the end results? No, but if I were it would be a pointless exercise as much as if everyone else thought all my pictures are fantastic. Much appreciated.

Bit too much angle on the dangle for me...cool hair colour though!

Bethy, thank you very much for taking a look and replying. I knew before I posted the angle could be a Marmite moment, it wsa actually very deliberate in terms of all the other angles in the image, I wanted lines leading into the corners of the frame, i.e the fingertip, collar bone, some background lines ect.
Yep, doesn't work for everyone and was simply my creativity off its leash. I wouldn't rule it out for future shots to any extreme. If nothing else it's noticeable and has generated some polite feedback. Thank you.

[QUO
When asked "how much to salt food?", a chef answered:
"If you like the soup and don't miss salt, it is perfect but
if one can taste the salt… it's already too much!

The tilt here is like salt; a bit creates interest but too much
may become quite disturbing.

An other point is the the subject contains enough informa-
tion to be very entertaining… so the BG doesn't need any.

Kodiak, as always your wisdom is appreciated. I do have a tendency to experiment and sometimes it pays off other times it fails, sometimes a bit of both. Always a lesson is learned. Many thanks to you.

I really like it. And the model's eyes are so intense!

Thank you Ben, really appreciate you looking and replying.

It's different
I like it!

Thank you Paul, I appreciate you looking and replying.

A big thanks to those who liked the image and of course I will balance all feedback and bear it in mind along the way going forward.

Here is another from the shoot with a less angular orientation, and I do believe the part of the tattoo which is visible is in focus. :)

Chameleon 2 small.jpg

Last edited:
Am I aver completely happy with the end results? No, but if I were it would be a pointless exercise as much as if everyone else thought all my pictures are fantastic. Much appreciated.

I did not spell out "like" beyond "Yup :)" but I did click like, the fact of the tattoo being out of focus ... such is life. I would have the first one you posted if you don't mind me :)

I did not spell out "like" beyond "Yup :)" but I did click like, the fact of the tattoo being out of focus ... such is life. I would have the first one you posted if you don't mind me :)

Thanks again for your reply and thoughts, all the best to you. :)

Tim

I teach to always remember to direct the model to open
the mouth tenderly or elsewise.

I like the closed lips in the first as the graphic elements
and complextion of that "Cléopatra" type of mask is so
strong and well define… and those eyes!

Last edited:

I wrote that comment simply, being sure it would go under
the carpet. Your reply, Charles, is feeling very good. Thanks! :cool:

I wrote that comment simply, being sure it would go under
the carpet. Your reply, Charles, is feeling very good. Thanks! :cool:

What you wrote is exactly what I felt. I did not want to criticise the 2nd photo as the lips and the look did nothing for me ... but you said exactly why I liked the first photo. And who knows, if the tattoo was in focus I would have complained it was too busy and destructing from the subject's face :D

if the tattoo was in focus I would have complained it was too busy and destructing from the subject's face

My thought as well!
… though I think it doesn't contribute positively,
in anyway, to the visual power of the first image.

I know I will get flack for saying this and probably missing the point but the DOF seems too shallow in both to do the subject matter justice. In the first its acknowledged the tattoo is OOF and in the second the eyes are not as sharp as the tattoo which would seem to be a no no in most portraits.

I know I will get flack for saying this and probably missing the point but the DOF seems too shallow in both to do the subject matter justice. In the first its acknowledged the tattoo is OOF and in the second the eyes are not as sharp as the tattoo which would seem to be a no no in most portraits.

Thanks for your thoughts Mark, you'll get no flack from me, we're all entitled to out opinions :) I'm not justifying anything about either of the images by saying that I've certainly seen of images captured in a creative manner which don't fit the "would seem to be a no no" criteria. I know for a fact a good number of togs use fast lenses i.e f/1.2 capable and having shelled out for that option they tend to use it. Yep, not easy to get consistently sharp images, or even sharp images period, especially with the Canon 50mm f/1.2 wide open. I've been down the, have it sharp in all the right places and then some route and providing I consider an image to be visually interesting and pleasing I no longer obsess about it. I'm reasonably happy with both images for different reasons, I'm also interested in what others think and I do appreciate and ponder all feedback. Both of these images look better at full res as opposed to the 400 or so kb versions here. In summary I'd rather have shots that people like to engage with albeit technically there are some flaws, than produce pin sharp renderings which have little else to offer. I respect how everyone else works in terms of deciding how they might capture a subject whilst doing what suits me and making my own decisions in terms of how I set my camera. I could also point out that these poorly executed renderings have attracted more interest than many sharper images on this forum, but that might be construed in a negative manner so i'll swerve that ;-)

Kind regards

Tim

Back