Critique Changing Conditions - Glencoe

No critique from anyone? Nothing?

Does make me wonder what the point is in posting images in here.
Quell the mini tantrum!

The image looks over-processed. The mid-shot horizon, between fore and mid-ground and the greater distance, looks unnaturally brittle. It has something of the look of two images pasted together about that dividing line.

Not a horrible image by any means, but I wouldn't want it on my wall & have to see it every day.

Composition - good. Basic exposure - good. But for the reasons said, I can't really relax into it as an experience of place.

Whatever the processing has been, even if it's less than I suspect, maybe it can be revisited?

Quell the mini tantrum!

The image looks over-processed. The mid-shot horizon, between fore and mid-ground and the greater distance, looks unnaturally brittle. It has something of the look of two images pasted together about that dividing line.

Not a horrible image by any means, but I wouldn't want it on my wall & have to see it every day.

Composition - good. Basic exposure - good. But for the reasons said, I can't really relax into it as an experience of place.

Whatever the processing has been, even if it's less than I suspect, maybe it can be revisited?

I completely see what you mean actually, I’ll have another look at it. One thing I think may be causing that is the fact the rain was in the background which has created almost a haze like effect, thus adding separation.

You’re right though and I’ll have another look.

Cheers

Of course, on screen we look at compressed originals that might not represent their true potential.

A 'defect' of digital generally may be a lot to do with the rendition of edges, compared to film where edges are more diffuse owing to the grain structure. But if that 'defect' is inherent, at least it's something to watch out for and try to moderate. Because various forms of of processing can exacerbate it.

It's a tough original to deal with. Good luck!

I think in the time I have been on here things have changed. The way people act online due to social media means where you used to get comments you now get likes. Well if the like replaces a 'nice shot' comment that is fine, no real loss in my opinion. But if the like replaces a 'nice shot, but you could have done this...' comment then it is a shame.

I've said before the best comments I have ever received have been critical and maybe even hurt my feelings at the time, or broken my illusion about the photo posted where I was seeing past certain failings.

I probably appear a bit lazy with commenting these days, and that is because I am very busy for a start, but also I refuse to comment on picture threads just by looking at my phone. I much prefer to sit at my computer with a calibrated monitor and give the photos the time they deserve before offering an opinion and/or constructive criticism. This is something I only seem to find the time to do once every couple of weeks.

The sad thing is I got the feeling that a lot of people don't want constrictive criticism, they only want the gratification of a 'nice shot' comment. For which the like button will suffice, I don't use it though for any pictures posted. I think it is disrespectful and they either deserve a comment or not. I use the like button to like a comment that does not need me to quote and agree with. I think maybe I am less liked because I offer constrictive criticism without being a brilliant photographer myself, which is probably why I get a lot less comments on threads these days. Most people want the mutual back slapping of 'nice shot' comments perhaps...

Anyway I digress, you seem like the sort of forum member who wants the critique, which I respect.

I can tell it was one of those moments you enjoyed, the rain was passing through sheeting down on the distant hills, and the light was breaking through bringing the foreground back to life. It is a nice moment to work in and I can see those elements in the shot.

The critique is I feel you have pushed the red channel in the foreground too far for the time of day and the colour temperature of the light that would have been coming through. Or perhaps it is an over saturation of the foreground that has caused the red to overpower and look unnatural to me.

Composition wise it does not take your eye directly into the scene like the great landscape photographers can achieve, but we all struggle with that. It is a nice scene though that takes my eye from the bright wooden railings on the right, along the road to the bright clouds then to the right and the backlit rain. So you take it all in, but you look around the photo rather than step into it if that makes sense.

Nice shot though Tom :)

You didn't even give it 24 hours, IME the summer tends to be quieter on here because people are on holiday. That said I start plenty of threads year round that never get a response, I always assume that it is because my photos are perfect and cannot be improved*

*In reality I know it is because often a photo that means something to me has no special meaning to anyone else so what should someone say? Meh? A lot of ‘togs on here have been there in those conditions and not bothered to take that shot because it did not inspire them, why would your taking of it elicit any different response? Are you going to get this printed large and hang it on the wall?

I do think it is quieter on these boards it has to be said.

To be blunt this doesn't work - why go to an area of natural beauty and go out of your way to frame a rickety old bridge with some graffiti on it. I know the area well - this just isn't a compelling bit to set up and shoot.

Season wise - not for me - the bare brown earthy tones of the winter and spring do not work for me - they do for countless others though.

Processing wise - you need to look at either your individual colour channel saturation and/or how you've adjusted the red tone curve in relation to the blue and green ones because I think it's a fair bit off.

Weather and light wise - I find these sort of conditions utterly foul in every sense but a lot of others call it "mood" or "atmosphere" - so whilst I don't like it others will. Question is, do you?

Last edited:
The bridge draws most attention and my guess is that not what you wanted to be?
Too reddish and does not look natural the colour tone.

I think in the time I have been on here things have changed. The way people act online due to social media means where you used to get comments you now get likes. Well if the like replaces a 'nice shot' comment that is fine, no real loss in my opinion. But if the like replaces a 'nice shot, but you could have done this...' comment then it is a shame.

I've said before the best comments I have ever received have been critical and maybe even hurt my feelings at the time, or broken my illusion about the photo posted where I was seeing past certain failings.

I probably appear a bit lazy with commenting these days, and that is because I am very busy for a start, but also I refuse to comment on picture threads just by looking at my phone. I much prefer to sit at my computer with a calibrated monitor and give the photos the time they deserve before offering an opinion and/or constructive criticism. This is something I only seem to find the time to do once every couple of weeks.

The sad thing is I got the feeling that a lot of people don't want constrictive criticism, they only want the gratification of a 'nice shot' comment. For which the like button will suffice, I don't use it though for any pictures posted. I think it is disrespectful and they either deserve a comment or not. I use the like button to like a comment that does not need me to quote and agree with. I think maybe I am less liked because I offer constrictive criticism without being a brilliant photographer myself, which is probably why I get a lot less comments on threads these days. Most people want the mutual back slapping of 'nice shot' comments perhaps...

Anyway I digress, you seem like the sort of forum member who wants the critique, which I respect.

I can tell it was one of those moments you enjoyed, the rain was passing through sheeting down on the distant hills, and the light was breaking through bringing the foreground back to life. It is a nice moment to work in and I can see those elements in the shot.

The critique is I feel you have pushed the red channel in the foreground too far for the time of day and the colour temperature of the light that would have been coming through. Or perhaps it is an over saturation of the foreground that has caused the red to overpower and look unnatural to me.

Composition wise it does not take your eye directly into the scene like the great landscape photographers can achieve, but we all struggle with that. It is a nice scene though that takes my eye from the bright wooden railings on the right, along the road to the bright clouds then to the right and the backlit rain. So you take it all in, but you look around the photo rather than step into it if that makes sense.

Nice shot though Tom :)

I completely see and agree with what you're saying there - very well said.

I think you might be right, the more I look at it the more I see exactly what you're saying (one of the reasons critique is so helpful). Going to re-edit that.

Regarding the composition, yeah I see what you mean. In all honesty I didn't have much time to plan the shot properly because I was p*ss wet through and it ended up being a bit of rush.

Thanks (y)

You didn't even give it 24 hours, IME the summer tends to be quieter on here because people are on holiday. That said I start plenty of threads year round that never get a response, I always assume that it is because my photos are perfect and cannot be improved*

*In reality I know it is because often a photo that means something to me has no special meaning to anyone else so what should someone say? Meh? A lot of ‘togs on here have been there in those conditions and not bothered to take that shot because it did not inspire them, why would your taking of it elicit any different response? Are you going to get this printed large and hang it on the wall?

Fair point.

I do think it is quieter on these boards it has to be said.

To be blunt this doesn't work - why go to an area of natural beauty and go out of your way to frame a rickety old bridge with some graffiti on it. I know the area well - this just isn't a compelling bit to set up and shoot.

Season wise - not for me - the bare brown earthy tones of the winter and spring do not work for me - they do for countless others though.

Processing wise - you need to look at either your individual colour channel saturation and/or how you've adjusted the red tone curve in relation to the blue and green ones because I think it's a fair bit off.

Weather and light wise - I find these sort of conditions utterly foul in every sense but a lot of others call it "mood" or "atmosphere" - so whilst I don't like it others will. Question is, do you?

"I do think it is quieter on these boards it has to be said" - Agreed.

"To be blunt this doesn't work - why go to an area of natural beauty and go out of your way to frame a rickety old bridge with some graffiti on it. I know the area well - this just isn't a compelling bit to set up and shoot." - I have to disagree there, I wouldn't describe it as a 'rickety old bridge' (the graffiti I embarrassingly didn't notice so have now cloned it out). I personally do think the shot works, but I would because I took it. To be frank, I am bored of seeing the same shots of Glencoe, how many times can someone shoot the Toren Lochan for example before it becomes boring? I wanted to seek out shots that aren't in all the guidebooks.

"Season wise - not for me - the bare brown earthy tones of the winter and spring do not work for me - they do for countless others though". Can't argue with that, we all have our favourites, I don't like photographing when it's all green to be honest :)

"Processing wise - you need to look at either your individual colour channel saturation and/or how you've adjusted the red tone curve in relation to the blue and green ones because I think it's a fair bit off". Going to reprocess this.

Weather and light wise - I find these sort of conditions utterly foul in every sense but a lot of others call it "mood" or "atmosphere" - so whilst I don't like it others will. Question is, do you? - I do, in fact I prefer shooting in these to any other conditions. For me, the only thing that tops mood is reflections. Take a look on my flickr if you want to see some of the other moody shots :D

The bridge draws most attention and my guess is that not what you wanted to be?
Too reddish and does not look natural the colour tone.

Well, yeah I wanted the bridge to grab attention.

I agree RE the red.

Back