Chanonry Point dolphins

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Every one's a cracker Graham and you've really captured a truly magical experience in watching them at play. I've been there a few times and never had anything like such great views, far less taken photos of them! (y)

Brilliant.. I am there on monday for first time.... hope i can get half as good... am told an hour after low tide.. was that about right for you or longer?

Every one's a cracker Graham and you've really captured a truly magical experience in watching them at play. I've been there a few times and never had anything like such great views, far less taken photos of them! (y)

Thanks Peter I was very lucky on this occasion it was my 3rd visit and by far the best.

Brilliant.. I am there on monday for first time.... hope i can get half as good... am told an hour after low tide.. was that about right for you or longer?

Thanks Kipax, thats what I went by. On this occasion they where still about a good hour and half after that time, it was a privilege to be able to watch them. Hopefully you will get a good show.

A cracking set with lots of activity :)

Sadly on our trip last May though we spotted a good few including a mother & calf there was limited and random leaping. Having said that it is a superb place to view those beautiful animals.....a real privilege :)

I cant wait.. even moreso after seeing these pics:) Am staying in inverness sunday afternoon to wed morning.. so might get two goes at it ..mon.10.19 and tue 11.30 so monday probably go 11.30 (hr after low) and hope for best.. evening tides are too late next week.. will be dark :(

I cant wait.. even moreso after seeing these pics:) Am staying in inverness sunday afternoon to wed morning.. so might get two goes at it ..mon.10.19 and tue 11.30 so monday probably go 11.30 (hr after low) and hope for best.. evening tides are too late next week.. will be dark :(

keep my fingers crossed for you Kipax, I do regret not taking the monopod with me though arms where killing me at the end.

Oops!

I surmise you mean Chanonry Point.....that is where we went last year.

Linky. http://www.moraydolphins.co.uk/watch/chanonry-point.html#.V2xYUqDTWBY

oops yes I do . Jut changed the title. Thanks for pointing it out.

Absolutely brilliant Graham, I've been a few times and they are not easy subjects to photograph because you have no idea where they are going to appear from next! These are really gorgeous shots in great light, in great poses and in lovely light.

Cap doffed sir.

Magic stuff, Graham!

Thanks Mike

A cracking set it must of been great watching them

Thank you it was an absolute joy to watch them.

Absolutely brilliant Graham, I've been a few times and they are not easy subjects to photograph because you have no idea where they are going to appear from next! These are really gorgeous shots in great light, in great poses and in lovely light.

Cap doffed sir.

Thank you Sir I got lucky because they where around for a couple of hours, the timing was good to it being an evening low tide and the wife was shouting in my ear where they where.

Simply wow! I'm very jealous, just being there must of been very magical for you, any idea how large the pod was?

Simply wow! I'm very jealous, just being there must of been very magical for you, any idea how large the pod was?

Thanks Tom it was a privilege to be able to watch them. Don't really know how many in the pod in my very limited knowledge I would say we saw between 15-20 but that is really guessing.

Fabulous pictures would love that set in my collection.

Thanks Jason its a must visit place it you in the area.

Fantastic images, we wanted to see when we were up after hearing about them but April was too early :(

Thanks Tony

Beautiful! Full of fun!

Thanks Sam

Great set, well done

Cheers Mark

Fantastic images, we wanted to see when we were up after hearing about them but April was too early :(

Thanks Adam really don't know that much about them but its when the Salmon are heading up river to spawn is the best I think (stand by to be corrected)

Great sight and lovely to view :)

Thanks Gramps it was a privilege to be there to see them.

keep my fingers crossed for you Kipax, I do regret not taking the monopod with me though arms where killing me at the end.

11am low tide.. was supposed to appear for 12 noon an hr after low tide (OK I know not exact :) ) about 2pm before anything came..cold and aching by then ....water was well rough and they didn't pop out anywhere near as far as yours... it was the worse keeper rate ever with loads of pics of tails as they dissapeared... i was at the shoreline.. i was probably better higher on the hill even though further way.. got a couple good shots and one i really wanted.. will post later.. saying that... loved every minute of it :)

11am low tide.. was supposed to appear for 12 noon an hr after low tide (OK I know not exact :) ) about 2pm before anything came..cold and aching by then ....water was well rough and they didn't pop out anywhere near as far as yours... it was the worse keeper rate ever with loads of pics of tails as they dissapeared... i was at the shoreline.. i was probably better higher on the hill even though further way.. got a couple good shots and one i really wanted.. will post later.. saying that... loved every minute of it :)

Lol I'm an expert at getting tails . Can remeber my first visit got excited when I got a picture of a fin. This visit got really lucky with the display they put on. But it's a still a exciting the first time you catch right of them.

Great set, are they taken near the carpark or another spot? I'll be there for the Golf so might try an evening there looking at the tides.

Great set, are they taken near the carpark or another spot? I'll be there for the Golf so might try an evening there looking at the tides.

As per the linky I posted above here is where we went:-

"The main viewing area is on shingle beach behind the lighthouse which can be accessed by walking along the beach (tide permitting) or the path near the entrance to the car park."

It is a stunning sight to see these animals so close in to shore :)

Nice views and pics. Been two or three times, but not seen them perform like that.

Thanks Andrew as the link already shared if you are in the car park its only 30 or 40 yards.

As per the linky I posted above here is where we went:-

"The main viewing area is on shingle beach behind the lighthouse which can be accessed by walking along the beach (tide permitting) or the path near the entrance to the car park."

It is a stunning sight to see these animals so close in to shore :)

Totally agree its a pleasure just to see them.

Nice views and pics. Been two or three times, but not seen them perform like that.

Thanks Glenn my 3 rd visit and by far the best.

A few more from a lovely evening spent watching the Bottleneck dolphins at Chanonry Point.

I take it you mean Bottlenose Dolphins? ;)

Very nice, you're making me jealous :)

Went up there about 3 weeks ago whilst we were staying in the Cairngorms. Stayed for about 3 hours but didn't see any dolphins. Saw some Gannets and Seals though (y)

I take it you mean Bottlenose Dolphins? ;)

Very nice, you're making me jealous :)

Went up there about 3 weeks ago whilst we were staying in the Cairngorms. Stayed for about 3 hours but didn't see any dolphins. Saw some Gannets and Seals though (y)

Yep I do its a combination of my awful typing skills and auto-correct (or whatever its called) on my mac.

Back