Chasing the Right Level of Swooshery

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Swooshery ... fabulous word I say .. I talk a little more about chasing the 'right' level of Swooshery in my latest blog post ..

28260113882_44beee2e0c_z.jpg

Fuji XE2 + 10-24mm, Formatt Hitech 4 stop ND and 3 stop ND Grad
20mm, f/13, 1 second
Malin Head, Co.Donegal Donegal ...

Swooshery - good word invention. :)

Image comp is nice, good sense of water trails and pleasing colours. It just feels like you've slightly over-recovered the shadows for the foreground (or the grad used to hold back the sky was too strong & comes too far down the beach) and it needs to be a bit darker and more 'solid' looking to match further up the beach.

Last edited:
Swooshery - good word invention. :)

Image comp is nice, good sense of water trails and pleasing colours. It just feels like you've slightly over-recovered the shadows for the foreground (or the grad used to hold back the sky was too strong & comes too far down the beach) and it needs to be a bit darker and more 'solid' looking to match further up the beach.

Thanks for the comments ... yup, I see now what you mean ... I think, looking at the original RAW, it may have been an issue with the PP rather than the original capture ...

Yes I agree, its good fun finding the right water movement and swooshery. Its all rather subjective but then that's the fun of it all.

You can tell you have just discovered the Wex crowd on twitter "swooshery", I can't stop using it either! The shot doesn't do a great deal for me Nigel, the foreground feels too hazy which doesn't work considering this is the most interesting section of the shot.

You can tell you have just discovered the Wex crowd on twitter "swooshery", I can't stop using it either! The shot doesn't do a great deal for me Nigel, the foreground feels too hazy which doesn't work considering this is the most interesting section of the shot.

Oh I've been using swooshery long before Wex :)

Cheers for the feedback ... The haze is probably the Orton effect ... it's on a layer at around 50% opacity which I agree can make it perhaps a little too wishy for some ...

Oh I've been using swooshery long before Wex :)

Cheers for the feedback ... The haze is probably the Orton effect ... it's on a layer at around 50% opacity which I agree can make it perhaps a little too wishy for some ...
I can see it's uses on a longer exposure for a dreamy look, just feel the first section is the most appealing and it hazes the lovely "swooshery"!

Back