Cheap Breaker for tearing old plaster off etc

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a grim job coming up as my old gable end in our house needs dry lining, I need to rip off all the old plaster top to bottom then will line and tank it. need a cheap sds chisel breaker any thoughts?

like this below.

1) Its cheaper at Screwfix (£69.99)
2) I bought one to lift a tiled floor and all the backing, bought an additional chisel, and it made mincemeat of the job - very impressed
3) Subsequently used it to drill an 18mm hole through 2 brick walls, again made very light work

But

It is quite heavy, and will give your arms a serious workout if used at height

I will be using a platform so should be ok, I really just needs a lot of chiselling power as the old gable en is plaster with more plaster on top....sigh

If its just plaster then a lighter (as in weight) breaker will do the job surely?
I have the one you've linked to and it's a great tool for the price, but as Mr P says, it's pretty heavy..
I also have a little sds drill/breaker that weighs a fair bit less but is so much easier to use.
The trick is to get under the whole lot so that you can separate the plaster from the brickwork in one go and then it usually come off in big chunks.
Have fun!

I have a dewalt one ( DeWalt 240V 3 Mode SDS Plus Hammer Drill - D25033K-GB ) one of the reasons for getting it was it is relatively lightweight. Ideal for fixing hanging basket brackets.
Have also used it for breaking out some concrete.

I got a very similar one from Aldi/Lidl. Cant remember which. Its very good and cost about £50. Failing that, look on FB marketplace for a local second hand one. Ive been looking for a jigsaw and some sds drills showed up for about a tenner. If youre only going to use it once, why pay more money?

Use a hammer and chisel, lifting a 2kg drill is twice the work of lifting a 1kg lump hammer, less mess, dust, noise.

10 x the time spent doing it, hugely more likely to injure yourself.

If the old plaster is dead enough, it might be worth getting a tile lifting chisel to improve the working angle.

Yeah I think it was @stevewestern who talked me out of buying one of those :) 6 odd kilos is a _lot_ to hold for a few hours especially if it's at height.

I got a much lighter end of line Makita SDS for about the same money.

I've got one of these. Had it for years and it's great.
Used it for raggling walls, removing tiles, removing plaster etc.

Use a hammer and chisel, lifting a 2kg drill is twice the work of lifting a 1kg lump hammer, less mess, dust, noise.

not a chance mate this stuff has been on for 120 years and also has 2 skims on it, also the two rooms that sit on the gable ends are hooj

I would have thought if its 120 years old it'll be lime based and soft, just get behind the skim.

Back