Cheap flash for the 350D?

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
I was thinking before (dangerous I know :nuts: ) while reading Kates tulip thread, and noticed that she was using a Cobra 700AF with her 300. (Not sure if it's D or V, but still)....

I've been taking some shots which have required the use of flash, but to eradicate the shadows, I've needed to bounce it off the ceiling or the walls or something, which I obviously can't do with the onboard.

I can't really justify spending 150 plus on the 420/430, so was wondering what other flashguns could I use (read :cheaper), without the whistles and bangs that the 430 etc has.

I know Jessops do an own brand one for 60 quid.

Hi Marcel - can you stretch to £99 plus pp. I have the Sigma 500 DG Super which IMO is as good as Canon except for build - well BRistol Cameras do the 500 DG ST which has the same guide number but a few less bells and whistles. Can't speak for any others. HTH.

regards

For a bargainacious super dooper cheap flash, I'd recommend a 2nd hand Cobra 700AF. The camera is a 300D, and the voltage of the flash is low enough for it not to be a problem. I measured it with a voltmeter as well as looking h'yar to check, and it came in at 4.4volts as stated. It cost me £0 because some kind soul gave me it, but they're available on Ebay for £10-£20. Fantastic flash and perfect for macro work (better than my cheap Jessops ring flash). All it needs is a Sto-Fen diffuser to soften the atomic bomb-like glare :D

Word of warning though - It's a non-dedicated flash, so metering doesn't work properly with it on. The camera just basically ignores the flash, so you have to whack up the shutter speed or ISO to stop it whiting everthing out. It's trial and error, but I got used to mine very quickly :) Comes with a handy infra red thingamy on the front, so it automatically adjusts its own strength depending on how far away from the object. It also has a swivel/tilt head.

Hope that helps :)

Brilliant, that's the sort of thing I was looking for.

I might just look on ebay for one later.
I don't really want to splash out on a Speedlight or Sigma. Not yet anyway. For the moment, and the amount of times I'd use it, I just can't justify the cost.
So for now, all I need really is a flash I can bounce.

I had that voltage site bookmarked some time ago but lost it, cheers for the link. I'll have a look on ebay later, but for right now...it's school run time....

Are there any older Canon ones that would do that would at least slightly talk to the camera?

I have to admit to having no knowledge about what they would talk about, weather maybe? Cost of fish perhaps?

I've got a Sigma 500 DG Super and having bells and whistles is great but sometimes I really wish I had a flashgun that had one massive dial on the back with "Bright" written on one side and "Dark" written on the other.

(Plus wireless capability because I love using it off-camera... Either that or a long cord)

Ive got the Sigma500dg too, great flash, seems to be a bit warm though, must be where i store it...must move it away from the radiator

Matty...might i trouble you for the suggested retail price of the super DG?.......did you get a bargain with it?

no idea of the retail *googles* £159 from warehouse express..

i got a total bargain, no idea why it was so damn cheap, it was a steal

Back