Critique Cheeky Red Squirrel in my garden

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks for taking the time to look at my pictures, they were taken from my lounge through open patio doors. However the light was poor hence iso2000. I was indoors and the squirrel was in the shade but even with point exposure reflections caused over exposure of some areas. I am not great with PP either. Sigma 150-600 f8 at 1/160, tried pushing iso higher for faster shutter but images were to grainy. As always all comments welcomed....
q Red Squirrel 4.jpgq Red Squirrel 3.jpgq Red Squirrel 2.jpgq Red Squirrel.jpg

He/she looks to be in fine fettle and ready for winter, always nice to see `reds`
out and about .. all we see are greys..:(..... Nice set Steve.

Hey Steve nice set. but I kinda feel there is more to be had here.

With you being so fortunate to have reds,in your garden I'd personally be trying to work with them a bit more..............., make a set up if you like.. Two main goals really bro first trying to make the best of your available light and second putting them in a spot where you can really make the most of this wonderful autumnal colour in the bkg coupled with really pretty perches.

The first image to me is lovely suig has a really nice separation form bkg, I like me neg space but also want a tad more of the squirrels but in the frame, maybe a bit of careful pruning might also help? the two lower twigs are a bit of a niggle. The other three show the subject well buddy but don't really float my boat.

Steve I do tend to want to be at eye level and I also adore that mush sharp much effect one gets in certain locations. with the right DOF.......essentially shooting across the top of or through veggies. at the same time I don't want my images to be based on one simple formula. Mate to me you are really getting there ..................but you haven't really grasped the potential of what's in front of you ha as of yet.;) Mate I hope this doesn't sound too harsh it's not meant that way,it's just as we spend time doing this you gradually start to see / realize the potential in a situation and how to work that into a frame

Mate I'm also not great with PP,so take all this with a pinch of salt but some thoughts huh :D Is there a magenta cast to these. I think there is? Mate WB is sometimes a nightmare to me,I have a niggle here,but I'm open enough to doubt myself and want you aware of my own struggles. simply I might be wrong!!

I've no idea on camera used or subject to camera distance,is F8 nesessary? To me i'd trial topaz denoise AI. If I can use it ,everyone else can it's feels like a game changer to me.

If you are using an older sensor and pushing ISO you have to nail ETTR. This takes some doing Steve you are also working with a decreasing dynamic range at higher ISO ,but that hot washed out EXP will be your best start point, . Use the blinkies as well as histogramme you can't blow the hilights but that exp needs to be over to the right as far as possible. These modern NR programmes are amazing mate ,but that base law of physics boost EXP boost noise hasn't gone away.

Keep pushing mate, I hope there is something in the above that helps a little. another ramble sorry bro

What I'm trying to do is get you to think more before shutter press,it isn't really about making a physical set up as such .........................

I'll tell you I've set a hare up in a field..................... I won't have moved anything or put food down or cut any veggies. what I mean is I'm thinking about where my subject will be where the light will be what effect the bkg is going to have and then moved me to hopefully the exact right spot.,to make the best of a given situation . Mate I make images just like the above ,chances come and go in splits of a second I make all the mistakes in the world. sometimes stepping back and really thinking how can I work with "this" isn't an option. When it is and I put me head on the images almost always benefit. Look I still get in the way nowt is given it's just worth exploring

Haha:LOL: all the luck you lucky sod !!

take care

stu .

Stu,
Thanks for taking the time for such an exhaustive reply. Firstly the Kit Nikon D600 with Sigma 150-600. I have been encouraging squirrels into my garden for many weeks, firstly with a feeder in the copse behind the house, then moving it slowly into the garden. Next I have installed 30ft of rope down the garden to give a good 'run way'. These pictures were the squirrels first venture so no chance to effect settings. Over the coming weeks I intend to simply observer and enjoy, whilst planning mods to the area. I am also modifying my shed into a hide. Hopefully I can see a pattern of visits emerge so that I can pick a time when the sun is above so that I can get better shoots. I am hoping that in time it might accept my presence so I can closer and take more candid shots.
PS Whilst watching for squirrels this beautiful Great Spotted Woodpecker arrived to steal the Squirrels nuts (terrible picture shot through glass)
Great Spotted Woodpecker.jpg

I'm sorry bro, too much enthusiasm ............ I've spent so long grafting my nuts off it was nice to just stop a while an waffle................. exhaustive writing from me..... that's so cool :ROFLMAO:

I'm trying for a vole image . We have had a family here for years. ..... if I pull back, I can just get them outside MFD . They watch from the mouth of a hole, I'm using my false front door. as per the foxes
There's a threading the needle shot there somewhere ........I worry I was out after dark pulling out this nettle stem and that blade of grass, tweaking a shot .

GWS males are a bit scatty Steve . Stuff some peanuts in a pretty trunk drill 8mm holes something still upright dead and cut works like a charm they love it and most likely others might too. :)
I can't see a reason to observe and not shoot once you have the above,keep shooting.............. with care sure . and the old adage of time spent in observation is never wasted............. the more they hear the shutter they more they ignore it .

Back