Chernobyl and Pripyat - Exclusion Zone

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got back from a long weekend in Ukraine where we took a trip out to the 30km and 10km exclusion zones. The trip was awesome! If you've got any questions at all I'd be happy to answer them.
We're really pleased we went when we did; int he summer it gets really quite busy (well a few coaches and cars but this overwhelms the tiny checkpoints.

The full album can be seen here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskuYJ9qz

Kit: Nikon D600 and 24-120 f4
Processing: RAW > Lightroom > Auto Preset > Lens Correction > Grunge Vignette Preset

I'd love to do more with the photos but I really need to learn more about processing. Hopefully something I can re-visit as my skills improve as it's a set of images that are really quite cool so I'd like to do them justice!

Some of the picture highlights:

Supermarket in Elissya by Doug, on Flickr

Military Base - Propoganda by Doug, on Flickr

Duga Radar 1 by Doug, on Flickr

Kindergarten in Kopachi by Doug, on Flickr

Pripyat by Doug, on Flickr

Pripyat - Ferris Wheel by Doug, on Flickr

Pripyat - Pool by Doug, on Flickr

Chernobyl Sunset by Doug, on Flickr

Quite a few more on Facebook but they're more holiday snaps I guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about the processing as they look fine to me (I'm not a fan of photos that look 'processed' anyway).

I like the 'Military Base' and 'Pripyat' pictures myself but all look good and interesting :cool:

Excellent, thanks for posting :)

Great shots. Pretty low radiation levels now looking at your detector. Not many places like that in the world, thankfully!

Great shots. Pretty low radiation levels now looking at your detector. Not many places like that in the world, thankfully!

Yes, quite low levels and about half as much as you’d get on a normal summers day thanks to the snow.

There are some real ‘hotspots’ around where you get huge spikes of radiation. Super interesting Tour and loads of information taken in. I wouldn’t do it justice trying to type it on a forum!

“Excellent” set of images Sir, and very interesting to see.(y)

George.

Lovely set I really like the ferris wheel

The radiation dose was rather low then!

Yes, the radiation is quite low on a whole but there are areas (tourists kept away) where there are still very high levels of radiation.

The covering of snow really reduced the readings as well.

It's incredible that this is preserved the way it is, but also that you can visit and get images. Amazing opportunity and I think your photos reflect this

Super. Somewhere I'd love to visit, but travel form the frozen north is a nightmare. And I'm not sure what SWMBO would say!

Back