1. aliengrove

aliengrove

Name:
    Jon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Our local graveyard has a lot of graves with ornaments on them. After a visit one day with an IR camera looking for sun and shadows, I decided to photograph some of them. On my last visit, looking for a pic for the TP 2018 52 challenge, I took some images which I quite like. My wife finds it rather macabre....however, I've always been fascinated by statues, mannequins etc, and how they look when photographed in isolation. I treat the gravesites with utmost respect, ie don't stand on the actual graves, and I don't move anything for the purpose of getting a shot. I do tidy up wind damage and remove rubbish when I am finished, however (one grave I found full of empty cider cans on this last visit).

All of these were taken using a Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm f2.0; this lens was developed from a cinematic lens, (which was reputedly favoured by Stanley Kubrick). It has a minimum focus distance of 24cm, giving a 1;5 magnification. By no means perfect (though very sharp in the centre at any aperture, and across the frame at f8), this is what I would call a "character" lens. It's probably my favourite lens.

All images are hand-held using available light

[​IMG]Sleeping cherub by Jon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Cherub by Jon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Faerie by Jon, on Flickr

[​IMG]Prayer by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Derek897

Derek897

Name:
    Derek
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Jon,
    I think the way you have captured these, perfectly compliments the delicate subject matter.
    I'm delighted to read that you have the utmost respect when taking these, and to be honest I think it shows in your images.
    Lovely series.

aliengrove likes this.
  3. aliengrove

aliengrove

Name:
    Jon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Derek. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to comment. It's a bit of a sensitive subject in some ways, and I'm very interested in people's thoughts on not just the pictures, but the subject matter itself.

Derek897 likes this.
  4. Derek897

Derek897

Name:
    Derek
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    For me I find the subject matter fine, while still being a little reserved around it, mainly out of a desire to not offend others, more so than any particular sensitivity of my own.
    I think your images are class, so I can only think its the subject matter that has resulted in a lack of replies.

aliengrove likes this.