Cherwell valley viaduct

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
I first visited the viaduct about 4 years ago with my first DSLR (also a Sony) but never felt I did it justice and wanted a re-visit. The area around the structure is becoming quite overgrown, although there are some signs of people interfering with the plants but in isolated patches, and the pattern of growth makes it look much more natural than one would expect from many thousand tons of brick and mortar. Whilst the structure isn't enormous as some go, it's pretty big for relatively flat countryside and I hope to give both a sense of size and also how it sometimes seems to have been extruded by the landscape, even though parts of it give a strong sense of industrial England (there's probably some arty b****x that could be inserted here about identity and environment ;) ).

There's a lot of images here (12) because they don't belong in isolation and I don't expect detail crit on them all, but if there's one that warrants crit or comment please go ahead.

Cherwell Valley Viaduct 1 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Cherwell Valley Viaduct 2 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Cherwell Valley Viaduct 3 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Cherwell Valley Viaduct 4 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Cherwell Valley Viaduct 5 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Cherwell Valley Viaduct 6 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice set. The images work very well together.

The nearest village is Souldern, Oxfordshire - drive through the village and continue down Wharf lane, over the motorway and stop by the footpath sign on the right hand side. Take the footpath & walk beside the field to the end, turn left at the end and then skirt around the bottom of the next field, where you should see the viaduct on the left hand side. There is a way in that does not require pushing through undergrowth.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.9816726,-1.2675746,802m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Last edited:
Really like 7 and 8 - I much prefer detail shots than the wider shots. I like 9, though would like to see a tighter crop on the opening to add more effect to the repeat openings.

Am not a big fan of the rest to be honest. There isn't a clear enough subject for my personal taste.

Really like 7 and 8 - I much prefer detail shots than the wider shots. I like 9, though would like to see a tighter crop on the opening to add more effect to the repeat openings.

Am not a big fan of the rest to be honest. There isn't a clear enough subject for my personal taste.

Thanks for stopping by to comment - glad you liked some. I agree about the lack of an obvious subject in some of them, which is why I presented them as a body of work rather than just a couple of individual images, since alone they don't convey enough.

Back