Chimney Pots

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
These splendid looking chimney pots adorn a Gothic style terrace in Wellington Square, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

The building was constructed around 1856-9, the last terrace in the town built in the 19th century (according to the architectural guide).

Cheltenham: Chimney Pots by Tim Heathfield, on Flickr

These are pretty fancy stuff and very well taken, Tim! :cool:
I like old architecture and I love tidy. May I suggest…

Cheltenham%20Chimney%20Pots.jpg

Well, you could suggest that Kodiak, but who are we to start to erase history? To me this is an architectural & historic shot, not a landscape; one day fairly soon those TV aerials will be as much a part of history at the chimney pots themselves (already we have the 'log DM' style aerials that negate the need for the back reflector plate), so by deleting the aerials and the cabling we would also be deleting the historic time stamp on that photograph. I notice you left the small shrub (buddleia sp.) growing out of the left hand side of the central chimney stack, why not remove that too if we are to strive for an uncluttered and 'tidy' shot of just chimneys?

I know these things are subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but as Shakespeare once wisely said; "In striving to better, oft we mar what is well".

Last edited:
Expertly done Daniel @Kodiak Qc and thank you for taking the time to tidy the image. A good point. :)

Very well and eloquently put @Mr Badger. I have to agree with you. For example, I often wish scenes I'm photographing are free from cars, people, estate agent boards, etc but looking at old photos dating back 30 - 100 years or more, it is those very things that are the most interesting, ephemeral signs of bygone human existence and activity.

Back