Choosing software is a Nightmare

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I am fed up of paying adobe subscription but i always seem to go back to it.. I just don't know why

On1 the latest looks very good
DXO not too bad

I just cant seem to settle on one or another

I have just stuck with LR5 and affinity photo, works fine for me at the mo. If I had some spare cash or if there was an offer on Capture One, I would not mind trying that.

Wonder why lol

I ditched Adobe and was using LR6 and Afinity but as LR6 doesn’t support the XT3 I’ve just bout ON1 2019. I’m just finding my way around it.

On1 2019 seems like a nice package but not sure if I like the way it put side cars files all over the HD

On1 2019 seems like a nice package but not sure if I like the way it put side cars files all over the HD

Lightroom does that too, if you want to be able to transfer edits with images, ditto Darktable. And if you've ever owned a Mac then you should know it creates a sidecar file for EVERY file the OS ever meets (but hides it from you).

Lightroom does that too, if you want to be able to transfer edits with images, ditto Darktable. And if you've ever owned a Mac then you should know it creates a sidecar file for EVERY file the OS ever meets (but hides it from you).

No I though lightroom store it side car in it library not where the image is stored

Lightroom only creates xmp files if you enable it, otherwise edits are stored in the catalog.

That prob what mine is set at thanks for clearing this up

I bought ON1 after finding it the most user friendly of the non=lightroom options. Im not sure what is causeing it to run very slowly at times at the moment but I have also got a trial of Photoshop elements and the easy of use is amazing although as I dont want to use the filling system its a pain having to load each image to edit/review

I'm not one to try differant post production softwares. I use Canon DPP for my raw then Photoshop cs6.
I was thinking if you like Photoshop can you not just buy the latest elements ?

Gaz

Skylum Luminar is pretty good too till they bring out the DAM it not a complete pack gut the editing side of it is pretty good for the price

If you don’t like paying for creative cloud monthly there is always the annual payment option.

I bought ON1 after finding it the most user friendly of the non=lightroom options. Im not sure what is causeing it to run very slowly at times at the moment but I have also got a trial of Photoshop elements and the easy of use is amazing although as I dont want to use the filling system its a pain having to load each image to edit/review
Elements doesn't support 16-bit layered images which is a deal breaker for me.
Affinity does far more and is cheaper, although it currently lacks a browser.
With layers and masks, On1 does most things that Photoshop used to do.

Affinity does far more and is cheaper, although it currently lacks a browser.
With layers and masks, On1 does most things that Photoshop used to do.

you lost me at 16-bit layered,lol
What I liked about elements was the quick edit options made it very simple to do basic editing and that the Dodge and Burn tool could be used directly on the image to lighten or darking areas. On1 doesnt apear to have this with out masking or using layers

Have any of you Tried Luminar at all.. It pretty powerful software for it cost and when the DAM is release it could be a killer

unless another software could read and work with or transfer a lightroom catalogue to its own system, I would not care to re catalogue all my images.
I have done that once when I moved from IView. andf a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

unless another software could read and work with or transfer a lightroom catalogue to its own system, I would not care to re catalogue all my images.
I have done that once when I moved from IView. andf a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

On1 can bring your lr library over

Okydoky. Did not know that. Just assumed it did layers. Maybe it does but not with 16 bit.

Good luck with the hunt.

Gaz

Unlike Lightroom, On1 does not need a catalog in order to work on images.
You can browse your images with a file browser/thumbnail viewer.
You can optionally catalog your images, which makes searching easier (just like LR) but it's not essential.
Plus, I understand the latest version of On1 has a LR catalog migration feature.

Unlike Lightroom, On1 does not need a catalog in order to work on images.
You can browse your images with a file browser/thumbnail viewer.
You can optionally catalog your images, which makes searching easier (just like LR) but it's not essential.
Plus, I understand the latest version of On1 has a LR catalog migration feature.

Yes that is all true.

Are you using on1?

Why are you fed up with paying for it?

Okydoky. Did not know that. Just assumed it did layers. Maybe it does but not with 16 bit.

Gaz
When I last tried Elements (which admittedly was a long time ago, v6 I think) it only supported 8-bit layers.
Things may have changed but I prefer to keep my workflow 16-bit for as long as I can, with only my final export being an 8-bit jpeg.
Elements is a good entry level editor, but I can't help thinking most people would want to move on to something better quite quickly.

I don't get why people are so against paying Adobe a few quid a month but are happy to buy other software.

If you're clever you can pick up a year subscription for Adobe for £70-£75. That includes LR, Photoshop and a free website and that includes all new updates along the way.

On1 costs £100 (special offer for now) and then £80 (special offer for now) for updates. On1 one release a paid update (or should I say bug fix) every year so assuming you want to remain up to date with the latest you are still paying £80/year

Capture One costs £200 (something like that) and also release paid updates every year or so as do DXO

I don't get why people are so against paying Adobe a few quid a month but are happy to buy other software.

If you're clever you can pick up a year subscription for Adobe for £70-£75. That includes LR, Photoshop and a free website and that includes all new updates along the way.

On1 costs £100 (special offer for now) and then £80 (special offer for now) for updates. On1 one release a paid update (or should I say bug fix) every year so assuming you want to remain up to date with the latest you are still paying £80/year

Capture One costs £200 (something like that) and also release paid updates every year or so as do DXO
Has it ever occured to you that some of the alternatives are actually BETTER than Adobe?

For my part, I hardly ever used Photoshop, so with CC I'm renting something I don't need.
IMHO On1 produces better results than Lightroom, and there is this perception of actually owning it (which I know is not true) rather than hiring it's use.
Paying for upgrades is a matter of choice, with CC you don't have the option.

£299 ouch

I got a year of Lightroom and Photoshop for £74.99 on an Amazon deal on Friday. If you look around you can buy 12 months Adobe subscription for substantially less than paying a tenner a month. I've tried ACDSee and thought it was very poor compared to Lightroom

Why bother paying at all if you don't need everything the package includes?

I only pay for what I really need and would never consider the subscription model simply because it can be increased at any time.

Obviously as an amateur my photographic needs are different from a REAL pro but these are my programs which I use for almost all my work:

Serif PhotPlus X3 editing program - purchased YEARS ago as a sell off for £12.00 - including all manuals etc - still works perfectly.

Photoshop 7 which I downloaded off the 'net and seems to be abandonware.

Canon DPP - comes FREE with all Canon cameras and can be regularly updated.

Neat Image V8 - Noise reduction software upgraded from an earlier version for about £30.00

EasyHDR3 - Hdr program upgraded from an earlier version for about £30-£40.

AI Gigapixel - Upscaler program which is my latest acquisition and cost abut £65.00 with an online coupon.

I also now use Linux Mint 18.3 which I got as a disk from Ebay for about £1.30 - and is a superb FREE OS which contains a mass of FREE software including Darkroom - a photo editor which I believe is similar to lightroom - and masses of others.

Linix Mint is the first Linux I have been able to use relatively easily because it is similar in layout to Windows - including a quick launch bar (called panel) and a software manager which makes downloading and installing software a piece of cake compared with other versions of Linux.

And if I need Windows then I can simply run a VM with either Windows XP or Win7 - botth of which still run perfectly.

So unless you really MUST have a subscription, start buying standalone products and save a fortune over the years!

And if you want FREE cloud storage you can get 50GB FREE at Mega: https://mega.nz

Been playing with the On1 Raw 2019 most of this evening and it seem a very nice software

Back