Chorley

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I might be visiting family near there in January or February, any good spots for wildlife photography.
Or alternatively on the way from there to London, any good places to stop (just in case we go in daylight).
We will go via M40 and M6 places I had in mind
MartinsMere
and en route Ottmoor.
However I am open for suggestions.

Yarrow Valley.
White Coppice.
Rivington.

All worth a visit.
Thank you, do you think MartinsMere is not worth it?

I liked the fact that in Yarrow Valley you might see Dippers or Goosanders, I thought that Dippers were more lake district birds.

You will/should see dippers at both Yarrow Valley and White Coppice. I know where they nest and if I do there are lots of other guys who do. Yarrow Valley has a resident kingfisher, but I've never seen it. It always appears just before, or just after I turn up!!! Lots of feeders for the smaller birds. Facilities are a bit basic, but it's very popular.

Martin Mere is a big place packed full of birds. There are two sections. The captive section has lots of "residents" - all with clipped wings! But, they are used to humanoids and will come very close, especially if you buy a bag of feed to throw around. Good for close ups and no-one needs to know that they are not totally wild! You'll probably be a bit early for breeding plumage. Lots of smaller stuff just flies in and out at will.

They have a section full of otters, and some beavers though these are usually asleep in daytime.

The wild section out on the moss is home to literally thousands of over wintering wildfowl. Pink footed geese, greylags, swans in profusion and ducks of every kind. There are several hides dotted all round the place. Feeding time is good because they all come in when the man with the barrow appears. You can probably spend all day wandering around there. Considering most of the wild stuff can also be seen in the surrounding fields you may feel the entry fee is a bit pricey, but as you won't know your way round it could be a price worth paying. There is a semi resident Tawny Owl, but he usually roosts high up and takes some spotting.

You can do a canoe safari through the reed beds but you'll have to check if it's running when you are there.

The overriding impression is that they are trying to make it into a bit of a tourist spot. Attract the kids and grannies or parents will bring their wallets with them, so pick your times well. Weekends or half term are best avoided. Lots of facilities and a big (pricey) cafe.

Just round the corner is Meresands Wood. Free entry but watch the car park gestapo. (Make sure you pay and keep your receipt - for at least a year!)
That's almost an overflow to Martin Mere. There are a few hides and pathways, but little else in the way of facilities. Can be worth a visit.

You will/should see dippers at both Yarrow Valley and White Coppice. I know where they nest and if I do there are lots of other guys who do. Yarrow Valley has a resident kingfisher, but I've never seen it. It always appears just before, or just after I turn up!!! Lots of feeders for the smaller birds. Facilities are a bit basic, but it's very popular.

A bit like the little grebes in Hyde Park and me, I hope you get better luck next time.
This is a very useful post, sadly if I go it will be a weekend, out of the various options which would you go to first?
(I am not sure how often we will be going there and it will be tricky to get the family to go).

Which to choose really depends on how much time you have.

If you are just doing a quickish visit and can only get out for one day I'd bite the bullet and go to Martin Mere and spend all day there. It will be worth checking their website because they do/did use to put on "Specials" in January & February. In essence they let you in at some ungodly hour, 6AM or 7AM IIRC, but you got to the hides at first light when the birds were flying in. Restricted numbers (20/25) so plenty of room in the hides. Then a full English breakfast and you could then wander all round the reserve before the public were let in. Last time I went it cost £25 which I thought was reasonable.

Wherever you go it will be difficult for the family. Martin Mere has a children's play area etc, but that won't keep anyone amused all day. The other places have next to nothing for families.

Might be a bit harsh this, but if you are taking wife and kids then leave the camera gear behind. Or take the camera gear and.......

If you want to take family and gear then I'd go to either Yarrow or Meresands. A couple of hours to get round either. You've little alternative but to keep on moving round the reserves which will stop boredom creeping in and you'll be able to run off a few shots, but nowhere near as many or as varied as a full day at Martin Mere.

Where abouts in Chorley are you going?

Which to choose really depends on how much time you have.

If you are just doing a quickish visit and can only get out for one day I'd bite the bullet and go to Martin Mere and spend all day there. It will be worth checking their website because they do/did use to put on "Specials" in January & February. In essence they let you in at some ungodly hour, 6AM or 7AM IIRC, but you got to the hides at first light when the birds were flying in. Restricted numbers (20/25) so plenty of room in the hides. Then a full English breakfast and you could then wander all round the reserve before the public were let in. Last time I went it cost £25 which I thought was reasonable.

Wherever you go it will be difficult for the family. Martin Mere has a children's play area etc, but that won't keep anyone amused all day. The other places have next to nothing for families.

Might be a bit harsh this, but if you are taking wife and kids then leave the camera gear behind. Or take the camera gear and.......

If you want to take family and gear then I'd go to either Yarrow or Meresands. A couple of hours to get round either. You've little alternative but to keep on moving round the reserves which will stop boredom creeping in and you'll be able to run off a few shots, but nowhere near as many or as varied as a full day at Martin Mere.

Where abouts in Chorley are you going?
Sadly you might be right about leaving the family behind - they could be tricky, thanks for the advice about specials. If I get up early enough I could do that,although sadly we will be arriving quite late (coming from London)
We will be in PR72HE.

We will be in PR72HE.
My word. Know it well. Our first house was just round the corner.

I've always been a bit disappointed with Brockholes. Promises a lot but often fails to deliver....for me that is!

I no longer have the big birding gear but if you want a guide and I'm free I'll happily meet you.

Just holler.

Yarrow valley is worth a look dippers are down by the weir, the kingfisher is fairly regular visitor water rail, goldcrest, tree creepers, nuthatch and all kinds of tits inc longtailed.
Yarrow Valley Country Park. Appreciation Group on face book is worth joining plenty of images of the wildlife.

Childrens play area and a café.

there's always plenty of photographers to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Thak you all, I will be there for a long weekend over Easter, hopefully the wildlife and family co-operate. If only nature reserves had wi-fi, it would help so many marriages.

Thank you all for your advice, a few days after this my wife fractured her fibula so we did not go. Hopefully we will go in May. I am thinking of stopping en route in Derby or Belper to look for the peregrines, has anyone done this? (It would be a nice break in the journey).

Back