weekly Chris P My 2019 52’s Week 36 Soft

Interesting take. So clean you can't see 'em! Emissions, I mean. I might have tried with more DOF but then you'd lose the daffodils of course.
Thanks Bob, I have another shot with more dof. Might upload but like you say I wanted the daffodils
Are you sure your engines running?:LOL:
Good idea for the theme, I like the plant background.
For sure Clive I was choking a touch so didn’t lie down for very long.
Very nice take on the theme Chris, would of been better if the daffs had been in full bloom but still good.
Hi Dave, got a few more days yet so I was hoping for the bulbs to come out and I’ll re shoot I think

I like your thought process behind the shot. Personally, I would like to see more of the exhausts ie move slightly to the right and blurry background but still have enough details to hint they are living plants. However, that's just my opinion though others will disagree with me on that.

I really liked your take on this theme. I would have cloned out the clump of daffodils just behind the tail pipe so it stood out more on a bit of empty background.

Certainly fits the theme. I wonder if there was a different angle on the shot?
Without knowing the theme, it's hard to put your finger on the subject...
Perhaps if we were looking up the exhaust it might be more obvious? Dunno... Something to ponder on.

Clean
A bit of lateral thinking there. I think the photo is lacking in a little something, another element (not sure what though).

good thinking certainly have a clean view of the plants
Thanks, I have another option on my Flickr with the plants in focus but really want the daffodils to bloom
I like your thought process behind the shot. Personally, I would like to see more of the exhausts ie move slightly to the right and blurry background but still have enough details to hint they are living plants. However, that's just my opinion though others will disagree with me on that.
Hi Stan, quite a few others have mentioned the exhaust angle, a re shoot may be coming
Clean car by the looks of things as well.
Definitly not Mandy, I was contemplating writing ‘Clean me’ in the dirt for another option
Very interesting interpretation of the theme...definitely works!
Nice detail and colour.
(y)
Thanks Gareth
I really liked your take on this theme. I would have cloned out the clump of daffodils just behind the tail pipe so it stood out more on a bit of empty background.
Afraid my PS skills aren’t that good Joan, now if I could put some daffodils in bloom in then there’s my initial thought captured
very clean I cant see any emissions at all :O
background works very well too :)
Peter, she’s very good on the Emissions for sure, good mph as well
Certainly fits the theme. I wonder if there was a different angle on the shot?
Without knowing the theme, it's hard to put your finger on the subject...
Perhaps if we were looking up the exhaust it might be more obvious? Dunno... Something to ponder on.
Hi Tim, think you may be right. A different angle ? Going to see if the daffodils bloom
Clean
A bit of lateral thinking there. I think the photo is lacking in a little something, another element (not sure what though).
On reflection Dominic I tend to agree, I am hoping the daffodils come out and a slightly different angle might add another touch of colour and perspective.

Thanks all for your comments it s really appreciated and does help

Last edited:
Great idea, Chris! I wondered if there might be another angle and reading the comments above and your replies it seems there are various ideas. Mine would have been to show more of the exhaust opening - either from an angle or straight on - which might have made the link between the theme and subject more obvious, but I can see you were caught in two minds because of the daffodils in the background. It's a hard decision and definitely a good take on the theme (y)

I really like the second version of New; the colours work very well. The Clean shot I think may have worked better with a bit more of the car in the frame, but works very well nonetheless..

Does the job just fine Chris - good interpretation of the theme

It's been good to see so many ideas for the theme this week and this is another good one. Without reading your comments on the shot I was thinking it could do with the background being more out of focus but the idea of being able to see the daffs is a good one.

Hi,

New for me looks a little bright on the bulbs for my liking, although I know the limits of working with a phone. I used mine for a couple in the last 52.

Clean is nice. Nice to have the daffs in the background. Though maybe a slightly wider shot with more emphasis on the exhausts would work too.

Wow thanks for all the comments they do spur me on. It defiantly seems a reshoot with the exhaust at a different angle. Got a week to see if the daffodils actually OPEN up and I’ll reshoot. Then I am away for few weeks on my hols !
Great idea, Chris! I wondered if there might be another angle and reading the comments above and your replies it seems there are various ideas. Mine would have been to show more of the exhaust opening - either from an angle or straight on - which might have made the link between the theme and subject more obvious, but I can see you were caught in two minds because of the daffodils in the background. It's a hard decision and definitely a good take on the theme (y)
Thanks Andrea, as you can see I am still waiting for the daffodils to Open up and then will definitely re shoot. Thanks for the comments
I really like the second version of New; the colours work very well. The Clean shot I think may have worked better with a bit more of the car in the frame, but works very well nonetheless..
Thanks Jon, still a learning curve for me which makes the 52 brilliant
Hi Chris, its a lovely clean shot but I do agree with the others that a slightly different angle would emphasise the exhaust more.
Thanks Susie, definitely agree !
Does the job just fine Chris - good interpretation of the theme
Thanks Ian, appreciate your comment
It's been good to see so many ideas for the theme this week and this is another good one. Without reading your comments on the shot I was thinking it could do with the background being more out of focus but the idea of being able to see the daffs is a good one.
Thanks for your comment Steve !
Hi,

New for me looks a little bright on the bulbs for my liking, although I know the limits of working with a phone. I used mine for a couple in the last 52.

Clean is nice. Nice to have the daffs in the background. Though maybe a slightly wider shot with more emphasis on the exhausts would work too.
Hi Ross, totally agree with your comments, thanks for taking the time to view and comment.

I think it works nicely - they are near as damn it open - good early entry

Well they are partly open.... personally would certainly like to see a little more bokeh in the background. Just a little distracting for me.

Aha, those daffs again. I wonder if one of the next few themes will give you the chance to show them fully opened :D

Some nice Spring colours here, and although it would be good if the background was more out of focus, at f1.4 you can't do any more about it other than move the background plants further away! Good idea (y)

I think it works nicely - they are near as damn it open - good early entry
Thanks Ian, couldn’t resist this one
Well they are partly open.... personally would certainly like to see a little more bokeh in the background. Just a little distracting for me.
Know what your saying, was f1.4 trouble is the daffodils are right in front of the green bush. I could look for some others but they are in my post for Clean so a bit of theme going on. Might try a telephoto with a bit of distance
Hi for me I`d like to see a cleaner BG and maybe the Daffs open.
Just to help too, when you do your Linky make sure you click and copy the number to your image, open is 58. As you seem to set it to the first page :)
Thanks Dave, sorted the linky, your right about the daffodils but they just won’t open
Aha, those daffs again. I wonder if one of the next few themes will give you the chance to show them fully opened :D

Some nice Spring colours here, and although it would be good if the background was more out of focus, at f1.4 you can't do any more about it other than move the background plants further away! Good idea (y)
Andrea, definitely a theme going on ! Going to try a different lens tomorrow. I keep using my 35mm f1.4 on my XH 1 mainly as I love the lens. I’ll try a little distance with a couple of my others tomorrow to see if the bokeh gets better. All trial and error for me I’m afraid.

All trial and error for me I’m afraid.

That's the way to learn though, by trying things and then trying something else. Your background items will be more out of focus the greater the distance between them and your main subject, combined with a wide aperture like f1.4 too, of course. You can't move those background plants but you may be able to find some other flowers with greater distance between them and the background flowers, and you'll get a smoother and more OOF background. Have fun playing!

That's the way to learn though, by trying things and then trying something else. Your background items will be more out of focus the greater the distance between them and your main subject, combined with a wide aperture like f1.4 too, of course. You can't move those background plants but you may be able to find some other flowers with greater distance between them and the background flowers, and you'll get a smoother and more OOF background. Have fun playing!

Andrea I have a few lens’ to try out. Went a tad mad when I traded in some of my canon gear.
Some of them are still boxed up. All the gear no idea syndrome !

I think a crop might help a little with the BG mainly the top and a bit off the left and right hand sides but it’s a good idea

Open
So nearly open, another few days and I'm sure they will be.
Re the background, my Workaround for when I can't get an oof background is, I've printed off on plain A4 paper some blurred (oof) photos of grass, plants etc and stuck them to some cardboard. I will either then hold them behind my flower, plant or whatever it may be or clip them to something I can push into the ground. As long as there is no shadow case by your main subject, it looks fairly natural.

I think a crop might help a little with the BG mainly the top and a bit off the left and right hand sides but it’s a good idea
Thanks Alan, might try that
Open
So nearly open, another few days and I'm sure they will be.
Re the background, my Workaround for when I can't get an oof background is, I've printed off on plain A4 paper some blurred (oof) photos of grass, plants etc and stuck them to some cardboard. I will either then hold them behind my flower, plant or whatever it may be or clip them to something I can push into the ground. As long as there is no shadow case by your main subject, it looks fairly natural.
Thanks Dominic, great idea. That’s what’s great about the 52 all the brilliant ideas and advice
Keep it coming !

Andrea I have a few lens’ to try out. Went a tad mad when I traded in some of my canon gear.
Some of them are still boxed up. All the gear no idea syndrome !

We've probably all been through that stage :LOL: You'll have a great time getting to know them all, and I haven't found a bad Fujinon lens yet.

Close enough for 'OPEN' theme for me!:D
I like the image...bright and cheery, and good detail too.
I think I like the tighter crop a little better though, it does seem to render the background a touch more out of focus and thereby giving more separation.

@Nostromo that's a great idea Dominic, I'll have to try that!

Very nice image Chris. (y)

The tighter crop does improve it yes :)
I would have been tempted to give it more space on the LHS perhaps, as the sharpest focus is on the lefthand head, which seems to be looking out of the picture and is quite tight to the edge. But then you end up not being so tight on the crop... Quite a balancing act :thinking:

Thanks all for your kind comments !
Close enough for 'OPEN' theme for me!:D
I like the image...bright and cheery, and good detail too.
I think I like the tighter crop a little better though, it does seem to render the background a touch more out of focus and thereby giving more separation.

@Nostromo that's a great idea Dominic, I'll have to try that!

Very nice image Chris. (y)
Gareth thanks for your comments, I too am going to try the false background !
I think it works well. Maybe, as said, the background needs a bit more bokeh.
Thanks Bob
The tighter crop does improve it yes :)
I would have been tempted to give it more space on the LHS perhaps, as the sharpest focus is on the lefthand head, which seems to be looking out of the picture and is quite tight to the edge. But then you end up not being so tight on the crop... Quite a balancing act :thinking:
Tend to agree Tim, I can’t wait for these to finally burst out and I am sure I can get a better shot
Your edited image is much better and stronger with fewer background distractions.
Thanks Stan, it’s nearly there but the Bokeh still isn’t as good as I can get it for sure
very nice pic i look forward to them being open too :)
Me to Peter been waiting for what seems like ages. The cold snap will keep them in bud I fear
I thiink I prefer the crop Chris but I like them both, a very seasonal take on the theme.
Thanks Susie

Back