weekly Chris P My 2019 52’s Week 36 Soft

Love it. Fits the theme really well and it's well taken. My partners parents have loads of daffs in their garden but ours haven't started yet. I don't find the background too distracting as it shows they're flowers living in a real garden.

Hi Chris

New, Strange year to have new shoots so early, clever take on the theme and I like the processing but feel you have brightened the shots a tad too much. I see on flicker you have better ones which look good. I see you have updated it on your page as well.

Clean, I like your thinking, I guess it's not a diesel car. I think the daffs should be more oof myself.

Open, waiting is ok with me. Nice capture, but there is something round in the background which could do with toning down a bit. I don't think a tighter crop works so well as there are now white lines around the daffs, looks kinda weird.

PS I do like the way you are trying different ways of showing the images.

Pete

Open - I prefer the tighter crop too. Nice fit to the theme. Darkening some of the lighter areas in the background can reduce the 'distraction' effect to a degree - just a thought.

I am just catching up on your thread, as I am a bit behind with comments.

New - nice find on the new bulbs coming up, like the inclusion of the old dead leaves, makes the new bulb growth stand out.
Clean - nice take on the theme and an idea that I hadn't thought of, I feel a tad more DOF would have been good.
Open - works for me, nice image with nice colours, though the tighter crop works better.

I like both but the tighter crop is the better of the two
Yep, I should of thought about it a little more, tighter crop is much better
Love it. Fits the theme really well and it's well taken. My partners parents have loads of daffs in their garden but ours haven't started yet. I don't find the background too distracting as it shows they're flowers living in a real garden.
Thanks Carl, we planted loads of bulbs last year and we are surprised they are coming up. Wanted to reshoot Clean when they bloom
Hi Chris

New, Strange year to have new shoots so early, clever take on the theme and I like the processing but feel you have brightened the shots a tad too much. I see on flicker you have better ones which look good. I see you have updated it on your page as well.

Clean, I like your thinking, I guess it's not a diesel car. I think the daffs should be more oof myself.

Open, waiting is ok with me. Nice capture, but there is something round in the background which could do with toning down a bit. I don't think a tighter crop works so well as there are now white lines around the daffs, looks kinda weird.

PS I do like the way you are trying different ways of showing the images.

Pete
Thanks for your comments and suggestion Pete, they do help. I am struggling with some of my editing at the moment. I need to start using the pc more. Bit lazy and using the iPad !
Open - I prefer the tighter crop too. Nice fit to the theme. Darkening some of the lighter areas in the background can reduce the 'distraction' effect to a degree - just a thought.
Thats a great suggestion Lee, might try that
I am just catching up on your thread, as I am a bit behind with comments.

New - nice find on the new bulbs coming up, like the inclusion of the old dead leaves, makes the new bulb growth stand out.
Clean - nice take on the theme and an idea that I hadn't thought of, I feel a tad more DOF would have been good.
Open - works for me, nice image with nice colours, though the tighter crop works better.
Thanks Mandy, think my main focus over the next few months will be cropping and trying different angles more.

very nice I think the palm makes the shot work superb.
works great in B&W with the clouds etc.
the only thing for me is I am not sure about the leaves bottom right.

Nicely done. Crisp foreground and I like the way the palm tree is "positioned" in clear sky with respect to the clouds, if you get my drift. I guess that was the idea.

I think it could do with more foreground as it seems to be cut off a bit abruptly because of the large leaves poking up, but the sky is great not seen one like it in a while

Thanks all so much for the positive comments. I am going to re shoot at at different time of the day and a different angle to see if I can get the islands in as well.
Loving the fluffy white Clouds in this really good image Chris, also love the tones in the palm tree so a great shot and very nice editing.
Thanks Dave
Excellent image Chris!
Perfect exposure and processing....such great contrasts and tones.
I really like it, very nice work Chris!(y)
Must admit I am not too sure now but quite pleased about the comments so far
Nice crisp shot there Chris.
I'm struggling to find the tulip in this one though ;)

Good composition with the palm tree filling the empty space in the sky.
Thanks Tim, I am hoping the daffodils will be out when I get home in a few weeks and I’ll try and use them in a theme for sure
very nice I think the palm makes the shot work superb.
works great in B&W with the clouds etc.
the only thing for me is I am not sure about the leaves bottom right.
Hi Peter the leaves in the bottom are the top of a banana plant. The palm tree is about 30 meters in front of them and I am standing on a hill on a wooden bridge. Struggled a bit trying to get the right composition without the village below.
Super choice in the b&w Chris, the towering palm tree looks great against that sky, nice crisp detail too.
Thanks Susie
Nicely done. Crisp foreground and I like the way the palm tree is "positioned" in clear sky with respect to the clouds, if you get my drift. I guess that was the idea.
That was my intention by using the palm tree. There are some islands in the distance but I haven’t managed to get a decent shot of them yet. It’s been quite hazey. Going to try a reshoot Bob
Nice to see a sunny sky for a change. I'm not sure mono works for this scene though.
Stan, it was my only option due to the time of day I took the shot. Shame really as it makes a nice scene. Definitely going to try again at a different time of the day.
I think it could do with more foreground as it seems to be cut off a bit abruptly because of the large leaves poking up, but the sky is great not seen one like it in a while
Hi Allan, it’s up the side of a hill and I didn’t want the town in so had to try and be a tad creative. Not my best for sure ! It would be great if the town wasn’t there but can’t help that.

Last edited:
This is the view from a different angle, you can see the palm tree and the top of the banana trees. The wooden building on the right where took the shot from. My intention was to try and get the Distant island in the shot. I think it’s Martinique. Hope the picture shows the steep incline. Hence the top of the banana trees in the shot. Help is always appreciated. Thanks Chris

Distance by Chris Pritchard, on Flickr

Another thought on the shot ?

Distance by Chris Pritchard, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Chris

Well the Daffs were nearly open! I think the tighter crop works better but I did like the leaves at the bottom, guess its all about the compromise :D How lucky to be in such a lovely place for you holidays. I liked the original B&W but not keen on the foliage at the bottom, possibly needed more or non at all :p I very much like the last one, I like the layers of cloud, Island and sea. I wasn't sure about the top part of the palm tree being chopped but actually I think it works with the bit of land in the opposite corner. Only one really picky thing but there is an odd mast (I think) sticking up in the bottom left corner. :exit::D Enjoy the rest of your holiday (y)

Clouds in the distance - should have asked for your money back :)

I too like the silver quality of the tree

Well, Chris, while most of us were grumbling about the UK weather, you were dealing with harsh St Lucia sunshine. My heart bleeds for you! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, the first shot is striking and although I wasn't sure initially about B&W I think it really accentuates the clouds, but having seen your third image that's my favourite as you have both distant clouds and distant shores, lovely colours, and the tree and the land help to frame the view.

Enjoy what is left of the holiday. A lovely sharp image for distant. That last photo really does emphasise the distance well to the mountains.Agree with Georgina about the mast thingy in the bottom left.

That last one works very well Chris, I like the straight line of cloud and the distant mountains. Is the horizon slightly squiffy, or is it me!
Hi Susie, sunshine and rum it’s bound to be squiffy. Just like me
Hi Chris

Well the Daffs were nearly open! I think the tighter crop works better but I did like the leaves at the bottom, guess its all about the compromise :D How lucky to be in such a lovely place for you holidays. I liked the original B&W but not keen on the foliage at the bottom, possibly needed more or non at all :p I very much like the last one, I like the layers of cloud, Island and sea. I wasn't sure about the top part of the palm tree being chopped but actually I think it works with the bit of land in the opposite corner. Only one really picky thing but there is an odd mast (I think) sticking up in the bottom left corner. :exit::D Enjoy the rest of your holiday (y)
Thanks for your kind comments Georgina, it’s quite strange a lot of the palm trees have a spike coming out at the top. I tend to agree with what your saying though
Clouds in the distance - should have asked for your money back :)

I too like the silver quality of the tree
Thanks Ian, it was blown out that much by the sun I didn’t expect it would work but think it passable
Well, Chris, while most of us were grumbling about the UK weather, you were dealing with harsh St Lucia sunshine. My heart bleeds for you! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, the first shot is striking and although I wasn't sure initially about B&W I think it really accentuates the clouds, but having seen your third image that's my favourite as you have both distant clouds and distant shores, lovely colours, and the tree and the land help to frame the view.
Andrea, yep think I should of waited and used the last shot. Been to a few viewpoints over the island and the scenery is great. Some shots I am saving for future

Enjoy what is left of the holiday. A lovely sharp image for distant. That last photo really does emphasise the distance well to the mountains.Agree with Georgina about the mast thingy in the bottom left.
Thanks Mandy, it’s a fabulous place for us togs. I must of taken 1000+ pictures of the hummingbirds !

Thanks all so much for you comments !

Looks a nice cold refreshing drink. With the colour of the mango and glass almost represents a sunrise/sunset. Perfectly composed.

I'm not jealous, not at all... :crying:

The composition and depth of field are spot on, Chris. My only slight misgiving is that the lovely colour of the juice is too warm to convey cold, if you see what I mean, although of course the ice cubes are. But it's a good juxtaposition of warm/cold and a really nice image.

Love the contrast of colours and DOF in your cold picture. I can almost taste the cold mango punch. Nice shot.

Cold
I quite like the idea, but i prefer the second shot, it's a cracking little shot with the bird.

Really has a nice glow to it, depth of field and composition is great. I could see that printed on a large canvas hanging on a wall in a modern bar/restaurant as it would draw people in.

Nice image for COLD and, as Gareth has said, pov and dof are spot on.
Thanks Bob
Cold is a cool image and like the orange colour while the ice cubes are dancing in the glass.
Thanks Dave
Looks a nice cold refreshing drink. With the colour of the mango and glass almost represents a sunrise/sunset. Perfectly composed.
Thanks Mandy
Love the juxtaposition of the cold ice with the warm colours of the drink and glass, I don't know whether to feel cold or warm :D
Thanks Carl
I'm not jealous, not at all... :crying:

The composition and depth of field are spot on, Chris. My only slight misgiving is that the lovely colour of the juice is too warm to convey cold, if you see what I mean, although of course the ice cubes are. But it's a good juxtaposition of warm/cold and a really nice image.
Thanks Andrea
I get what you're doing, but it doesn't really work for me for the theme.
I think Andrea has put her finger on it, orange an d cold are odd bedfellows.
Nicely shot though.
Thanks Tim
Love the contrast of colours and DOF in your cold picture. I can almost taste the cold mango punch. Nice shot.
Thanks Garry
A cold tropical fruit drink in midwinter, odd maybe but fit the theme though.
Thanks Stan
Cold
I quite like the idea, but i prefer the second shot, it's a cracking little shot with the bird.
Dominic it’s a bananaquit, there really tame where I am at the moment.
Aren't you back home yet :) you've definitely hit the theme there Chris ...sounds delicious.
Hi Susie, nope a few more days yet I’m afraid bit too cold at home for me at the moment
Really has a nice glow to it, depth of field and composition is great. I could see that printed on a large canvas hanging on a wall in a modern bar/restaurant as it would draw people in.
Thanks Johnathan, never thought of that, I might print this one off when I get home and see what it looks like framed as a memento of the trip.

Thanks all for the positive comments, I have found a blue beaker today so I am going to reshoot with that to see if gives a colder feel. It’s quite hard to think about the cold sat in 28 degrees. I haven’t seen it yet on my screen at home so cant really see its full impact. However it’s one shot I am quite pleased with. Thanks again for the constructive critique Chris

Back