Chrismat @ Kew - light displays

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I was there on last Wednesday, it was great fun. We had a 15 month old wth us :D

Nice pictures, you did a better job with #2, with the crowd and having to manage son's buggy I just couldn't get a good angle :(

But I did take a tripod and TBH the crowd was a bigger problem for setting it up than my child lol

Last edited:
I was there on last Wednesday, it was great fun. We had a 15 month old wth us :D

Nice pictures, you did a better job with #2, with the crowd and having to manage son's buggy I just couldn't get a good angle :(

But I did take a tripod and TBH the crowd was a bigger problem for setting it up than my child lol
When I enquired, I was told that tripods were not permitted, so you must have got away with it.

When I enquired, I was told that tripods were not permitted, so you must have got away with it.

au contraire, I asked at the gate before entering and they said it was perfectly fine as long as I did not cause a nuisance for others.
I was ready to leave it in the car if they said no. So whoever told you otherwise did not tell you the whole truth and/or rule has since been changed.

p.s. I went on a 'off-peak' weekday. So the rules might be different for a weekend 'peak' day. But the amount of tickets sold for this event are the same, peak days just sell out sooner since they are on weekends.

Last edited:
au contraire, I asked at the gate before entering and they said it was perfectly fine as long as I did not cause a nuisance for others.
I was ready to leave it in the car if they said no. So whoever told you otherwise did not tell you the whole truth and/or rule has since been changed.

p.s. I went on a 'off-peak' weekday. So the rules might be different for a weekend 'peak' day. But the amount of tickets sold for this event are the same, peak days just sell out sooner since they are on weekends.
I emailed their website and asked if tripods were permitted.
This is the complete reply I received:

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your email. Because of the volume of people walking the trail, I'm afraid tripods are not allowed into Christmas at Kew.

You are of course welcome to take as many photos as you like with your camera.

Kind regards,

David
The Christmas at Kew Team
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

There has obviously been a change of policy, or else those responsible for enforcement are not doing their job!

I emailed their website and asked if tripods were permitted.
This is the complete reply I received:

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your email. Because of the volume of people walking the trail, I'm afraid tripods are not allowed into Christmas at Kew.

You are of course welcome to take as many photos as you like with your camera.

Kind regards,

David
The Christmas at Kew Team
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

There has obviously been a change of policy, or else those responsible for enforcement are not doing their job!

hmmm... when did you enquire?

I was there on 5th Dec and I was fully expecting them to say no. Since I drove I would have just left the tripod in the car anyway. To my surprise they said yes!

Thank you. :) There was a lot of time spent watching a light show from the back of a crowd, waiting for it to finish, then getting to the front while everyone left and watching it again with a better view. Otherwise could have gotten around it all much quicker!

We went to the Syon House one too a couple of weeks back and there were loads of people with tripods set up there. I didn't see any at Kew so assumed there was a ban.

hmmm... when did you enquire?

I was there on 5th Dec and I was fully expecting them to say no. Since I drove I would have just left the tripod in the car anyway. To my surprise they said yes!
The reply is dated 24th November, so I probably asked the question a day or two before that.

It's probably more likely a case of those on the ground having not been given full information by the organiser/whoever replied to your email and instead just enforcing good old common sense.

Very nice, reminds me of our Blenheim Palace trip last year.

Excellent set, well done indeed :)

Back