Christmas Morning

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Quick portrait of my son playing with his new train :)

CC welcome

iy1xf5.jpg

Lovely shot Adam, he looks so contented (y)

Looks like the train drivers had a really good morning :beer: :D

That's a cracker, the driver adds to it for me. Maybe makes it feel real rather than staged. The perfect lighting and backdrop was just fortunate ;)

One of those photo's that will end up in an album that gets presented to your son on his 18th or 21st Birthday as a look back at his life. Lovely Capture Adam.

Hi

First of all, great shot. Can I ask what type of set up you had for this shot? Ie, camera settings and lighting?
Hi Kirsty,

Nothing exciting going on here. The inlaws have a huge bay window that floods the living room with nice soft light early in the morning as the sun rises. All I did was place my son in it, put my camera in aperture priority set to 2.8 and framed the shot. As you can probably tell I made an effort to get down low and use the trees to frame him.

I had to check LR but other settings were a shutter speed of 1/125 and ISO of 500. Normally I pay no attention to anything other than aperture - unless I'm shooting fast moving subjects or in conditions where I know I'm going to be pushing ISO higher than I'm comfortable with..... But those situations are few and far between.

Last edited:
Hi Kirsty,

Nothing exciting going on here. The inlaws have a huge bay window that floods the living room with nice soft light early in the morning as the sun rises. All I did was place my son in it, put my camera in aperture priority set to 2.8 and framed the shot. As you can probably tell I made an effort to get down low and use the trees to frame him.

I had to check LR but other settings were a shutter speed of 1/125 and ISO of 500. Normally I pay no attention to anything other than aperture - unless I'm shooting fast moving subjects or in conditions where I know I'm going to be pushing ISO higher than I'm comfortable with..... But those situations are few and far between.

Hi @UaeExile thanks for the brilliant feedback. On this then do you tend to shoot Aperture priority rather than manual? I can honestly say ive never used this mode, purely because i wanted to stick to manual as much as possible so i could learn how everything worked together, but im looking to play with the different things I have available :)

Hi @UaeExile thanks for the brilliant feedback. On this then do you tend to shoot Aperture priority rather than manual? I can honestly say ive never used this mode, purely because i wanted to stick to manual as much as possible so i could learn how everything worked together, but im looking to play with the different things I have available :)

No worries Kirsty.

I've been shooting professionally for just over a year and I shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority. Literally 99.9% of the time. I dip into manual every so often but that's only in very specific circumstances when I have time on my side. I shoot a wide wide range of subjects too - so it's not like what I shoot is suited to that mode - more that aperture priority is suited to so many different shooting scenarios.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with shooting manual, just don't see it as a holy grail, point scoring exercise. I know plenty of bloody good professionals who sometimes shoot in full Auto as long as they get the shot they need.

No worries Kirsty.

I've been shooting professionally for just over a year and I shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority. Literally 99.9% of the time. I dip into manual every so often but that's only in very specific circumstances when I have time on my side. I shoot a wide wide range of subjects too - so it's not like what I shoot is suited to that mode - more that aperture priority is suited to so many different shooting scenarios.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with shooting manual, just don't see it as a holy grail, point scoring exercise. I know plenty of bloody good professionals who sometimes shoot in full Auto as long as they get the shot they need.

Extremely good points there. I didnt know if it was a case that I would be shunned for using a specific setting lol!!! :)

Extremely good points there. I didnt know if it was a case that I would be shunned for using a specific setting lol!!! :)

Absolutely not. No one cares.

The only thing to bare in mind is that if you're shooting for a client - and you come across a difficult lighting situation - you need to know how to overcome it, no matter what. Not getting the shot because you simply didn't know how is a horrible feeling (I've been there!). So knowing how to tweak your settings is really important; i was just making the point that most of the time, aperture priority is plenty for most people (y)

Absolutely not. No one cares.

The only thing to bare in mind is that if you're shooting for a client - and you come across a difficult lighting situation - you need to know how to overcome it, no matter what. Not getting the shot because you simply didn't know how is a horrible feeling (I've been there!). So knowing how to tweak your settings is really important; i was just making the point that most of the time, aperture priority is plenty for most people (y)

Thanks for the sound advice UaeExile :)

Back