Church Interiors - an open thread.

That's tough. I do have a few from Israel, but with a few exceptions they're not tremendously attractive.

i am the same...too many people or not allowed to photography during mass
and usually needing a tripod....
i will be more careful here though and not go past a church without a wander inside..
cheers
geof

Just remembered I've got a church candle pic. :)

Vk2qo0efSFH9OA7uvJcFMwIEpTlg0ZgmsKZOBTQgPhvLKafb9elyatb26msnP8jEwE9CzT6oTjwKoguc2wY3PpTyM3hBGi4J9Qesn4sfxKft6Td4FIBGJZqkVUpUMKWsdE2fJ3X_jI4VGDIdmz3EPBdt09KZG4kIK1ODWmr9jjsXvlMne84XXsuDevQLDxTz9Fzs6rgQQjmlIzboVXz5cp6C28Y3_Zbp-0PzQQx2IOA4aEUY7aQUfTsSrvwzndfJwI4L-R165WRi9canoOGLocFGFOrxcc6cD508YS0S6hNfMdue5MsAS33wmP3AR6-SauF2gt9fnxzoZS6g_lslwFbE5wquDMcfLAZ7QjmA0cN4DbtTklLbCoi5-RWHmgkaZzj2pRy6XQ-eYYnfyar6IvXqgWl-bsvyNbZBi-P-qlc0wlSdS9KbO_vAHLElL-J6zkpqjk_mHDz-y0vkGO9NGsgC2mczKWpYAVhmdh5Veh2O5lXZyOJKdbVMVfC38THoXrtXWTl-dI6-LnYiSR3FG8XJIbHfwhR4aS6Hu9JJFgkvejqmn1RBeO5sxfPODrln8b1lF8b71xKbfPYealHb9CAOlE8D6WASyADferiC8KnFeV_QFKCDI6n0TfD9JUj8AXERFlSpUi6U2ISBBLm030_VnqUtkwWKB4ita0_JwEzRZkIsmt6Zhm4GvjXWYN9jTRtaB5HlFsQySW7QEpEkRh6yUg=w1317-h867-no

Quarnford (or Flash) ...ugly little place that looks like someone sat on it. No interior as it isn't open on Sundays (or at least not the one when I was there)

quarnford.jpg

St Mary, Derwen
derwen.jpg

Derwen interior (my first attempt at using software to defocus an area)
derwen2.jpg

(Nice old schoolhouse and very old cross in the graveyard as well)

Last edited:
It's interesting that there are so many stunning photos of quite grand places in the thread and I can't offer anything similar.

How this cup has not been knocked over and broken I don't know. ......... it's not in St Catherine's!

llanfrothen.jpg

It's interesting that there are so many stunning photos of quite grand places in the thread and I can't offer anything similar.

How this cup has not been knocked over and broken I don't know. ......... it's not in St Catherine's!

View attachment 238290
"What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun..."
Ecclesiastes 1:9

i get a feeling here we may be onto church exteriors as well....they are smashing examples of architecture and masonry not to mention historical origins..
cheers
geof

Geof - haven't a clue what the quote is for.
I meant that I don't have any photos of the grand style places so well captured by others. I went into a cathedral once but didn't take any photos.
No shortage of smaller and simpler places (inside and out) I've come across in my bimbles.

Ceramic tiles in Derbyshire.
b.jpg

"What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun..."
Ecclesiastes 1:9

i get a feeling here we may be onto church exteriors as well....they are smashing examples of architecture and masonry not to mention historical origins..
cheers
geof

There's a thread for you to curate. ;)

A couple from inside St John The Baptist Chruch, Leusdon, Dartmoor. I took a break inside half way through a long walk today ...

Toni's photo of the hard looking chairs reminded me of a church I called into when travelling back north after a day of cold war concrete.

In a gallery and obviously the cheap seats in this particular church
c1.jpg

Downstairs was this candle snuffer (do they have a special name?)
c2.jpg

Back to using a dSLR for this one. Processing won't be to most peoples taste but I wanted to bring out the staining on the walls. It was very obvious to eye but less so if I went for the warm vibrant processing which is more common on church interiors.

c3.jpg

Is the pulpit raised so far so the head waffler can see into the box pews and make sure no-one was up to any funny business?

Geof - haven't a clue what the quote is for.
I meant that I don't have any photos of the grand style places so well captured by others. I went into a cathedral once but didn't take any photos.
No shortage of smaller and simpler places (inside and out) I've come across in my bimbles.

Ceramic tiles in Derbyshire.
View attachment 238315

not trying to be weird but i instantly thought that your shot in its simplicity stands well against any others of grand interior views..
should have said that..!!
meaning everything is good and always was
like your shot of the creed as well
cheers
geof

900 year Church Of St.Petrock's, Parracombe, Devon.

St. Petrock's by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

The Chancel by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

those pavers could tell some stories...and more!!
like those type of interiors...
i was interested in its history since some of the interior look as being later...and it was
what is really interesting is it is a norman church to replace a saxon one!!

Last edited:
It looks a bit untidy inside which is a shame as it is by far the nicest looking of the churches where I grew up. Oldest parts date from the C12th but several phases after than with the most recent additions in the early 1800s. One of only a handful of timber-framed churches in the country (there are 27 out of something like 37500 churches) it fell into dis-repair around 1880 and a new one was built to replace it. Some of the contents were subsequently removed to the new church. Odd thing though, they also repaired this one and used both regularly until 1971 (only a couple of services a year in this one now).

St Werburgh, Warburton
w.jpg

Last edited:
Back