Church Interiors - an open thread.

Super thread d00d .... and fabulous photos everyone :)
Hey susie ;)

I seem to remember a beaut you posted a couple of years back ... Dutch Tilt 'n all ... which I'm beginning to think works really well in churches.

So post away ....

Something I spotted on a mezzanine level about 25 foot up in Westminster Cathedral.

Bishop's Boudoir?

hEaLxCqBopnVXkjbqDBqOivlrywdRC-fqdt2t5ZGS8O67jE2JaG8Y-DGeSpm_QBlxYH96RgJQbe6bfpIbB9gQPa59Q2s2mo2LZvHYqpLwtolbyvg7IwYMk3lzxDTqNHMKXYgUvScHTVLmrXCwVb3500ejUztokO3u2D7aJ_zXiTcB_IBxmoGTAxqb3H33domWE1ZtUyl86Wfj5Gjz4ZGwjUsq-au36NVXXsCvlkWpvXJgaGifrUD4N3SHHx48sghb5RQUDnXuHmTHNp4_MmTlNY9MTQb5HtVffFeovXKH66UlE4dqF28w9soFtKpL7FU7d-P8OhXuO94dOmcw0_smo9MtiWcgpLqom7xBwDub9OyUs8kUMqAgqSMqrA4sVIujGIbguv0OW8mnmtA7AB9luDExOOFtgTlNWuxi6UYxwhq5L0ICCERUqKD5Lmv0Dyn2fJSq2hJjJCoLWlU5tvJqBB2wlt32yWPuWMAuDcyF0Yjrxz0JVNDRoC-0H2o6JdVKFbGdVAC6P0Nw58l9gS1joeCdyjYwJF4-XqQ2E4i297VAhoA-iZVuz5LgK9U3HARv_GY2iFpG366UogVWLhxZbi7HbMiieoVuYheNFmlNoDNTkYIKP3JvJRVZmvO5mCpaicSKqIeVeowDpxK9uWKnc0voGLn4P-IP3vG3gQFYKJU_ywRTCleWjLvmZac6IWrUTu9keY0Yy4vfjXLNOB8GTEkKg=w734-h867-no

Hen Ligwy is a mostly rebuilt ruin of a chapel of ease which belonged to the nearby St Michael's Church. Originally built in the C12th it was rebuilt around 200 years later and then extended in the C16th by the addition of the small burial chapel and vault. Disused by the C18th. Parts remain from most stages of the construction. Not much inside but it's very photogenic from the outside (and nearby are a Neolithic burial chamber and the remains of a walled settlement that dates to before 4AD)

l.jpg

Hen Ligwy is a mostly rebuilt ruin of a chapel of ease which belonged to the nearby St Michael's Church. Originally built in the C12th it was rebuilt around 200 years later and then extended in the C16th by the addition of the small burial chapel and vault. Disused by the C18th. Parts remain from most stages of the construction. Not much inside but it's very photogenic from the outside (and nearby are a Neolithic burial chamber and the remains of a walled settlement that dates to before 4AD)

10/10 for background history...they all have one and have tales to tell
cheers
geof

As Immo (Justpix) suggested about laying the camera on its back and using the self timer here is one I took using that idea ...

Hi, Mark, I am glad this method works for you, too. :)

To optimize it, one might put something under the camera to avoid scratching the screen, perhaps hard foam to make the camera bottom with its buttons level,
helping with the alignment.

The painted wooden ceiling (from 1617) in St. Johann in Kronberg/Germany:

DSC05195-a7r2-s28c-tp.jpg

Hi, Mark, I am glad this method works for you, too. :)

To optimize it, one might put something under the camera to avoid scratching the screen, perhaps hard foam to make the camera bottom with its buttons level,
helping with the alignment.

I was thinking I must try this, then realised my latest camera GX80 has screen tilting up 90 deg, which is just great normally, for street & stuff. But no good for shooting ceilings. BTW I always carry a little bubblewrap in my little camera bag. :)

Favourite aspects of church architecture: gothic arches and vaulted ceilings. :cool:

Pilot Officer William Meade Lindsley Fiske III's memorial stained glass window in St. Mary & St. Blaise Church, Boxgrove, West Sussex.
Billy Fiske was the first US citizen killed in action during the 2nd World War. His Spitfire was downed near RAF Tangmere during the Battle of Britain.
He is buried in the Churchyard.
Memorial stained glass window by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

In 1804 Thomas Charles and some other people involved in the Religious Tract Society founded the British and Foreign Bible Society, initially to fund the distribution of Welsh bibles. He was inspired (it is said) by the journey of a 16 year old girl called Mary Jones who walked, barefoot from Llanfihangel-y-Pennant to Bala to buy a bible written in her own language. She had saved for six years to buy her own Welsh bible as the nearest copy she had access to was two miles away from her home and church.

St. Beuno, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant
bs.jpg

edit: Mary may have been 15 according to the internet
edit2: somehow I edited out the distance - it's around 27 miles, around 4500 feet of ascent each way

Last edited:
The parish church of St Michael and All Angels. The church is decorated in a magnificent baroque style with ceiling panels decorated by Antonio Bellucci and ten windows painted by Joshua Price.

Witley Court: St Michaels Church
by Tim Heathfield, on Flickr

What a great thread I will add some shots

Back