Ciara storm waves

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
At Porthcawl yesterday morning with the tail end of storm Ciaia.... High tide and sunrise merged to perfection.... I got a soaking soon after and the camera and lens are non operational... [emoji24]Screenshot_20200210_222822_com.whatsapp.jpeg

Salt water?
Honestly, to go ouy in a storm like that without good kit protection ... what were you thinking?

I used a Nikon D810 with a Sigma Art 24-105 f4 lens attached.... I had a full cover over the camera but when the wave hit I grabbed camera and water got in the bottom..... Salt deposits were cleaned from the hotshoe and the battery grip terminals on the bottom.... All has been cleaned now.... No water ingress and focus screen has been removed and cleaned also... Clean bill of health

With salt water? Hope you are right, it can cause havoc. :(

If it didn't get too far and only a tiny bit crystallised out around edges it might be just about OK. Good job I'm not in a market for Nikon camera! :)

re image, I would just get rid of the black edges (why???) and crop closer to square getting rid of the bottom part.

Salt water?
Honestly, to go ouy in a storm like that without good kit protection ... what were you thinking?

I wouldn’t go out in a storm like that at all. The risk of gear damage is the least of it. I’ve actually rescheduled 2 121 Glencoe workshops to avoid it. The driving conditions are treacherous, there’s a real risk of trees coming down and if you get to close to the sea a wave can take you out. It happened last year to a photographer on Lewis.

There’s a plethora of stormy images big sea wave type sort out there - it’s about the least imaginative landscape to take IMHO. I imagine social media will be full of wannabe “Rachel Talibarts” over the coming days. There might be a few good ones but the bulk will be very samey. At least the OPs shot is a different angle to the usual of Porthcawl.

I think if I had to do something along the lines I would make sure I stand further back and use the long end of my 70-200mm, possibly from the car as the wind would make it too unstable to take a medium exposure length shot...

Cool shot. That looks a very dangerous place to stand however, unless you were using a pretty long lens.

There’s a plethora of stormy images big sea wave type sort out there - it’s about the least imaginative landscape to take IMHO. I imagine social media will be full of wannabe “Rachel Talibarts” over the coming days. There might be a few good ones but the bulk will be very samey. At least the OPs shot is a different angle to the usual of Porthcawl.

You can add me to the list then :) - then again I have never photographed at the coast in a storm with big waves and a lighthouse, so I'm sure I will be in good company on the interwebs

it was shot at 105mm and i was no where near the main waves hitting.........
the spray that covered me was on the way back to the car....

Im not stupid...

Back