Circular Thoughts

using some of the structure of the building as an additional modifier.

Not really, Tim! :confused:

Surprisingly, all it does is to reduce the brightness by a
%'age/ ratio equal to the plate minus the holes without
bringing any other modification in the equation… pretty
much like a flag plus a grid on a soft box.

Your arm has more effect on the light falloff itself than
anything else in this very nice and intriguing portrait. (y)

Not really, Tim! :confused:

Surprisingly, all it does is to reduce the brightness by a
%'age/ ratio equal to the plate minus the holes without
bringing any other modification in the equation… pretty
much like a flag plus a grid on a soft box.

Your arm has more effect on the light falloff itself than
anything else in this very nice and intriguing portrait. (y)

Thanks Kodiak for pointing out my lax use of terminology :) I should have said, a little experimentation using the the structure of the building as a grid to allow the light to pass through the holes as if using a large grid, my bad. :)

It's not my arm in the picture, a man of mystery I am :) a selfie is a very rare and sought after commodity.

As always a pleasure to engage with your wisdom.

Kind regards

Tim

Last edited:

Just to make sure you are aware of the elbow
effect in this portrait…

Notice the nose? …or should I say its shadow?
This is the only place without falloff! … and that
is caused by the presence of the elbow acting as
a flag in the scene! :cool:

The difference in the nose shadow is because the nose is hard edged in relation to the direction of light.
I would not normally associate a gobo with a grid, but that does seem to be more of the effect here... your light must have been very close to it.

I think that the only reason the nose shadow is noticeable is that it falls upwards. The shadow of the tip is in the middle of the cheek. It looks a lot more natural to have the shadow of the tip below the actual tip of the nose. In other words the key light is too low.

Apart from that I really like it - nice creative use of what you've found.

Just to make sure you are aware of the elbow
effect in this portrait…

Notice the nose? …or should I say its shadow?
This is the only place without falloff! … and that
is caused by the presence of the elbow acting as
a flag in the scene! :cool:

Thanks Kodiak, that's given me something to ponder though I'm not convinced its the elbow doing the deed, but then I have the luxury of other images where the elbow is absent, will add one.

Your time is appreciated.

The difference in the nose shadow is because the nose is hard edged in relation to the direction of light.
I would not normally associate a gobo with a grid, but that does seem to be more of the effect here... your light must have been very close to it.

Yes Steven, the light was in quite close due to restricted space the other side of the dividing structure, thought it would be rude not to try few shots using what was there.

Much appreciated.

I think that the only reason the nose shadow is noticeable is that it falls upwards. The shadow of the tip is in the middle of the cheek. It looks a lot more natural to have the shadow of the tip below the actual tip of the nose. In other words the key light is too low.

Apart from that I really like it - nice creative use of what you've found.

Thanks Simon for stopping by and replying, didn't have any option with light placement due to lack of space and additional metalwork masking the space from higher, had the lower area been suitable I'd have got my subject lower.

Glad I got them anyways, I kind of like the vague allusion which I get viewing them.

Thank you.

Circular Thoughts B.jpg

Thanks Simon for stopping by and replying, didn't have any option with light placement due to lack of space and additional metalwork masking the space from higher, had the lower area been suitable I'd have got my subject lower.

Then you can mitigate the problem by having the subject face the light directly and bringing their chin down.

Back