Cirque de Gavarnie

Amazing place isn't it. I will be back there in September. Good shot btw and a different take on it.

Did you head up to Col de Tentes and shoot onto Pic du Marbore at sunset? Did you anywhere else in the Pyrenees - they are an amazing place and much less shot than the Dolomites etc.

Last edited:
For me the most imposing view of the Cirque is about 2/3 of the way from the village to the "hotellerie", where the main track runs through a meadow.. This was a bit of a chance encounter with a clearance as I started the walk back.

There are also very impressive views looking across the village from the north, either from the GR10 or from a statue to the Virgin Mary.

I have been before but was still taken aback by the grandeur and sheer scale of the Cirque. On the first evening we walked about half way there in low-ish cloud and could see the bottom curtain of cliffs. It was pretty wow even then but suddenly there was a gap in the cloud and the third curtain was lit up. My God! You just have no idea until you see it!. We did head up to Col de Tentes but not really on a photographic mission and as there was still quite a bit of snow around we didn't walk much higher. I don't particularly remember Marbore from there but is it the peak on the rhs of the pic below? It's taken roughly from the point marked 1783 on the 1:25000 walking map (on the GR10) The cows may have moved by September......;).

_04A7194.jpg

For me the most imposing view of the Cirque is about 2/3 of the way from the village to the "hotellerie", where the main track runs through a meadow.. This was a bit of a chance encounter with a clearance as I started the walk back.

There are also very impressive views looking across the village from the north, either from the GR10 or from a statue to the Virgin Mary.

I have been before but was still taken aback by the grandeur and sheer scale of the Cirque. On the first evening we walked about half way there in low-ish cloud and could see the bottom curtain of cliffs. It was pretty wow even then but suddenly there was a gap in the cloud and the third curtain was lit up. My God! You just have no idea until you see it!. We did head up to Col de Tentes but not really on a photographic mission and as there was still quite a bit of snow around we didn't walk much higher. I don't particularly remember Marbore from there but is it the peak on the rhs of the pic below? It's taken roughly from the point marked 1783 on the 1:25000 walking map (on the GR10) The cows may have moved by September......;).

View attachment 130207

Excellent photography

Back