Citroen C4 Cactus

Edit My Images
No
Anyone got a Citroen C4 Cactus?

my son is about to buy one for his wife - the 108bhp petrol

Comment would be appreciated from owners

I was taught that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all.

Sorry but that made me LOL
lol.gif

I'm sure there is a thread on here where someone had bought one.

Just searched - maybe John could say what it is like to drive and in everyday use
He,s still pushing it to the nearest garage ,

Totally truthfull a post on a local Facebook group this morning featured a query from a girl who has a French car ? She wanted to know why every time she depressed her clutch the windows went down ,serious post not a funny one

My brother in law bought one and when I got in it I was reminded of a 2CV with some flashing lights.

Seriously, I would steer well clear.

I don't have one but went to a garage with a view to trying one out. When I sat in it it felt a bit cramped for me and didn't feel like it had enough space for a family of 4. Ended up getting a C4 Picasso which we really like, though ours was 18 months old when we got, and our 2 previous cars were 10+ years old so not a fair comparison. We've had an issue with a window failing and 2 recalls for replacement parts but everything is still under warranty.

Everyone is different, but I really liked the layouts of the Citroens. Some people will always say french cars are bad etc, and the last renault we had was no ideal, but the one before that was great.

I quite like the look of the Cactus but it's definitely a marmite car! The DS3 looked nice....

Anyway not sure that's much help!

Next door neighbour has had one from new for about 2 years - happy with it as her daily driver. TBH I think they're far more interesting than, say, a yeti or focus, or perhaps a cash cow.

Next door neighbour has had one from new for about 2 years - happy with it as her daily driver. TBH I think they're far more interesting than, say, a yeti or focus, or perhaps a cash cow.

We have a couple of Yeti's but my daughter in law does not like the shape - yes I would go for a Yeti

Same issue for me re size, it's actually a pretty small car inside, not a problem for a smaller person but I wouldn't have been comfortable in it.

We have a couple of Yeti's but my daughter in law does not like the shape - yes I would go for a Yeti

Rather off topic, but how do you like the Yeti - is it big and roomy inside (I have a lot of tools to carry about) and is there anything to look out for ?

For some reason Citroen's get a lot of stick, but usually from people who haven't owned them. We had 2 xsara Picasso's over the space of 11 years. Both purchased at about 3 or 4 years old. At about 9yrs of age the first one needed its power steering fixed. The second one's only major problem was a hole in the Aircon pipe. Aside from that they were reliable and well thought out family cars.

I've looked at the cactus and it seems like a lot of these "crossover" vehicles that you're essentially paying extra for a small hatchback that's been "pimped" to look like an SUV. Same goes for the ford ecosport (jacked up fiesta) and a number of others. They're not a capable off roader, they can't pull, with fairly weak economical engines and they don't have much space.

So it boils down to image. Personally I think if you want a SUV get a proper one, if you want a practical hatchback then there's plenty around. These crossover vehicles are just extra money for no extra features.

For a small off roader - The only two I would consider are the Yeti (capable 4x4) and surprisingly the fiat panda (but it's tiny and slow).

For an SUV I'd look at the new Kodiaq.

For a small family hatch, well there's tons around.

Last edited:
Rather off topic, but how do you like the Yeti - is it big and roomy inside (I have a lot of tools to carry about) and is there anything to look out for ?

Really like the car - bought the first 6 years ago 140bhp 4x4 Diesel 6sp manual - 85,000 kms with no trouble at all - driven in all types of conditions

Bought the second 9 months ago to replace my wife's Skoda Fabia - 110bhp 4x2 Diesel - 5 sp manual - again a wonderful car for what we need - a little more economical than the 4WD version, but I miss the 6th gear

They are not aerodynamic but mpg are around 40 ish for the 140 and mid 40's around town and 50+ at mway speeds on a long run with the 110

I cannot think of a better car for the money for what it does - I would not hesitate buying used as our 6 year old car drives like a new car

"The fix" is something to considered - and I will keep our two away from the EA189 update

Last edited:
Really like the car - bought the first 6 years ago 140bhp 4x4 Diesel 6sp manual - 85,000 kms with no trouble at all - driven in all types of conditions

Bought the second 6 months ago to replace my wife's Skoda Fabia - 110bhp 4x2 Diesel - 5 sp manual - again a wonderful car for what we need - a little more economical than the 4WD version, but I miss the 6th gear

They are not aerodynamic but mpg are around 40 ish for the 140 and mid 40's around town and 50+ at mway speeds on a long run with the 110

I cannot think of a better car for the money for what it does - I would not hesitate buying used as our 6 year old car drives like a new car

"The fix" is something to considered - and I will keep our two away from the EA189 update

Many thanks BillN, and much appreciated - I have a Citroen Berlingo that has been problematical and am thinking of replacing it with something like the Yeti - your comments are swaying me closer..!

I've looked at the cactus and it seems like a lot of these "crossover" vehicles that you're essentially paying extra for a small hatchback that's been "pimped" to look like an SUV. Same goes for the ford ecosport (jacked up fiesta) and a number of others. They're not a capable off roader, they can't pull, with fairly weak economical engines and they don't have much space.

So it boils down to image. Personally I think if you want a SUV get a proper one, if you want a practical hatchback then there's plenty around. These crossover vehicles are just extra money for no extra features.

For a small off roader - The only two I would consider are the Yeti (capable 4x4) and surprisingly the fiat panda (but it's tiny and slow).

For an SUV I'd look at the new Kodiaq.

For a small family hatch, well there's tons around.
But not everyone needs an offloaded. But the SUB styling suits them for their needs over a small family hatchback. By your argument you could have just bought a hatchback rather than a Picasso.

Many thanks BillN, and much appreciated - I have a Citroen Berlingo that has been problematical and am thinking of replacing it with something like the Yeti - your comments are swaying me closer..!

If you do buy a used diesel with highish miles just make sure that it has had the 60,000 service when the belts and ?? are changed as I believe it is VAG expensive, £1k? - up to that level service costs are just normal

There is hardly any difference between the original and face-lift models - tyres last - it's the VAG diesel engine so it is strong - the all diesel engines are the same, but the 170bhp model has bigger brakes - I do notice the difference between the 140bhp and the 110bhp - but as the 110bhp is just a "down tuned" version of the 140bhp you can have the 110bhp remapped to 140bhp for £300ish

Wheels - the 16' Alloys are more comfortable than the 17' - they run well on winter or all weather tyres - all cloth upholstery shows no signs of wear on our 6 year old car and no rattles - I had a tow bar fitted as I have a small trailer - if you are into tow bars they can be expensive ......... and more importantly my wife really likes to drive the thing - the higher up driving position suits and it has enough performance to keep you happy

I have not driven the petrol but would always go for a diesel - the 140bhp is a good compromise, but I have no real complaints with the performance of the 110bhp diesel

Back seat easy to remove and then you have tons of space

They are strong well built cars

Good luck

Last edited:
Nope, we need the extra boot space and the independently removable rear seats.
And such buyers will want the extra versatility that it gives that a regular hatchback won't. With all seats used in a Picasso you will have very little boot space over a hatchback or estate. You may as well have bought a van.

And such buyers will want the extra versatility that it gives that a regular hatchback won't. With all seats used in a Picasso you will have very little boot space over a hatchback or estate. You may as well have bought a van.
Not sure why you're intent on picking a fight? We had tons of boot space, and 3 way folding split seats with table trays on the backs of the front seats. It was a great family car. My point was most of the benefits of the crossovers are only cosmetic. If that's what you want then fine.

A Yeti was on our list and then we went and sat in one, that quickly ruled it out for us.

Definitely a nice car and lots of very loyal owners but for us it was easy to discount. A bit like buying a camera, go and have a feel and some will feel intuitive and others just don't click.

A Yeti was on our list and then we went and sat in one, that quickly ruled it out for us.

Definitely a nice car and lots of very loyal owners but for us it was easy to discount. A bit like buying a camera, go and have a feel and some will feel intuitive and others just don't click.

what do you buy Ned?

I felt the same way about the Qasvcow

(to use your camera analogy, I felt that the Yeti was say a D700 and a QQ a D7000)

Last edited:
what do you buy Ned?

I felt the same way about the Qashcow

Ended up with a CX5 :)

Yes, the Qashqui was on our list but was a bit meh, Kuga was waaay to plasticky and American, the Kia Sportage was pretty nice actually but by the time you'd spec'd it up to the CX5 level it was very expensive, Tiguan - too small, my wife won't have a BMW, Q5 expensive for what it is and I don't value the badge to pay the premium, F-Pace was out of budget (but I would have liked one).

The CX5 just felt right from the moment we got in, took it for a drive and it felt not too dissimilar to my MX5 which was a bit of a surprise. Also it is usefully bigger than most of the others mentioned above.

Ended up with a CX5 :)

Yes, the Qashqui was on our list but was a bit meh, Kuga was waaay to plasticky and American, the Kia Sportage was pretty nice actually but by the time you'd spec'd it up to the CX5 level it was very expensive, Tiguan - too small, my wife won't have a BMW, Q5 expensive for what it is and I don't value the badge to pay the premium, F-Pace was out of budget (but I would have liked one).

The CX5 just felt right from the moment we got in, took it for a drive and it felt not too dissimilar to my MX5 which was a bit of a surprise. Also it is usefully bigger than most of the others mentioned above.

My daughter in law has a MX5 at present

has the CX5 has the Ford engines

Last edited:
My daughter in law has an MX5 at present

I've been wondering about replacing mine (57 plate) but it is just such a good car and unique in what it offers that I end up looking at a new MX5 and then end up thinking I may as well keep mine. Boxster is probably top of the other alternatives list.

Not sure why you're intent on picking a fight? We had tons of boot space, and 3 way folding split seats with table trays on the backs of the front seats. It was a great family car. My point was most of the benefits of the crossovers are only cosmetic. If that's what you want then fine.
I would say the main advantage of a crossover is the higher seating position . Personally I wouldn't want an suv or an mpv. I prefer a hatchback with the seat as low as it will go.

I would say the main advantage of a crossover is the higher seating position . Personally I wouldn't want an suv or an mpv. I prefer a hatchback with the seat as low as it will go.

Probably, my wife liked the high seating position in the picasso's and in the zaffy tourer we now have as the family car. But it also has the practicality of an estate. I prefer them low too tho.

Since we're talking about cars of this size & shape I'll mention the mini countryman. If you can forget it's meant to be a 'mini' then it's actually pretty good. Drives really well, good size boot (takes my mum's mobility scooter across the back) and the economy seems reasonable. It doesn't have the boot capacity of a Focus, but it's a much more involving drive.

Since we're talking about cars of this size & shape I'll mention the mini countryman. If you can forget it's meant to be a 'mini' then it's actually pretty good. Drives really well, good size boot (takes my mum's mobility scooter across the back) and the economy seems reasonable. It doesn't have the boot capacity of a Focus, but it's a much more involving drive.
I've been looking at them recently. Prefer the old rear light config. though. The new ones are fugly.

I've been looking at them recently. Prefer the old rear light config. though. The new ones are fugly.

The latest versions of all the minis are larger than before. In the case of the standard mini and clubman this is a real advantage, however the styling hasn't exactly won me over. The countryman seems to have changed less, but I've seen very few on the road to have a good look.

The latest versions of all the minis are larger than before. In the case of the standard mini and clubman this is a real advantage, however the styling hasn't exactly won me over. The countryman seems to have changed less, but I've seen very few on the road to have a good look.
2016-MINI-Clubman-new-and-old.jpg

Here's the difference, personally think the last one (middle) was more aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited:
The real problem with the clubman was the stupid half-door behind the drivers door. It *should be* behind the passenger door, but they only made 1 body shell for LHD & the UK got a lemon.I like the rear of the new clubman, but not the front, which looks like something from the Datsun factory in the 70's.

This is mine.
Clean cars--0329 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

The real problem with the clubman was the stupid half-door behind the drivers door. It *should be* behind the passenger door, but they only made 1 body shell for LHD & the UK got a lemon.I like the rear of the new clubman, but not the front, which looks like something from the Datsun factory in the 70's.

This is mine.
Clean cars--0329 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr
Does the passenger seat tip forward to allow exit as well?

On mine? No need since it's a 4 door. The rear seats are on rails, and can move fore & aft around 8" to give more boot space or more leg room in the back (leg room is fine in the rear for normal adults).

Back